Your Heritage Thread

Discussion in 'Chat' started by skinny, Apr 24, 2015.

1. James_H

James_H And I like to roam the land

titch and ramonmercado like this.
  2. Iris

Iris Justified & Ancient

The grandson of a friend of one of my friends did a dna test and found his father had 6 half siblings in England. Apparently his grandfather had left the wife and children in his 20's, come out here and bigamously married my friend's friend.
    She had no idea and is very upset of course and has only recovered from cancer awhile ago.
    They are in their 80's now and he has made many mistakes over the years.

3. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

How could the DNA test show up the half-siblings? Surely it only tells you about your own heritage.
    (Not saying you're misleading us, just curious.)

4. Iris

Iris Justified & Ancient

I don't know how it all works. I was told the grandson was doing a family tree for school and that the dna was involved somehow.

5. Iris

Iris Justified & Ancient

When my cousin did his dna he was provided with possible matches of relatives who had also done the test. They keep it all on a database.
    He corresponds with various relatives in America and Ireland.
    I'm not sure which platform he uses but in Ancestry's ads that's what they show.

6. Skrymr

Skrymr Ephemeral Spectre

I did one of these DNA tests and it didn't show anything too surprising. Just confirmed my research. Mum's side is all out of wales, Dad's Highland Scottish west coast, but on my Dad's side there's also Norweigan/Icelandic

skinny likes this.
  7. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

My paternal family are German/Nordic on both sides, but the family name is a German name with a French spelling. Apparently, the name comes from the Alsace region, which makes sense, as my grandmother looked like a total Swiss Miss type, and my grandfather could have been a Jacque Cousteau impersonator. Unfortunately Jacque was still an unknown individual in the 1920's, so he avoided the lucrative impersonation market to became a coal miner in Bloody Harlan, Kentucky. He once went to a union rally only to have the mine owners unveil a hidden machine gun in an attempt to stop the unions, which saw Grampa and his best pal avoiding the carnage by crawling low along railroad tracks to get out of the area. The last name is pretty unique, and I'm likely related to everybody in the USA with the same name.

My maternal family are English/Scottish, with a Scottish surname being my mother's maiden name. The men in the family are ugly but of prodigious physical strength, and the women were all full-bodied babes - the best way to imagine it is if Ron Perlman and Sophia Loren were married and had kids, and those kids took after those traits by way of gender. I had one uncle who would engage in bare-knuckles boxing for money whenever he was drunk, which was relatively often for a while but he later settled down. There was some issue about race though that led to an interesting fight at a draft (for military service) office some time in the 1940's, where some other groups of people in the deep south of Georgia claimed that the family wasn't white and thus shouldn't be there. The family lore talks about Indian ancestry, but based on a few very old family photos I think we likely have some African-American strains in the family. Being dirt poor in the South, I doubt the records are very strong for the whole story, but I hope to eventually do one of those DNA test thingies. The family worked in textiles, and once my grandparents got a divorce in the later 40's/early 50's, my Grandmother made money by selling hand-churned butter to local hotels.

skinny, titch, ramonmercado and 2 others like this.
  8. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Ye gods.

9. titch

titch Justified & Ancient

My DNA tests are in.....i am mostly southwest Scottish and Northern Irish, then Irish followed closely by northwestern Scotland.

No native American but .....
    orca-image-1518467456877.jpg_1518467457370.jpeg

skinny and wolfie61 like this.
  10. titch

titch Justified & Ancient

It's really facinating and I would recommend giving it a go.
    orca-image-1518469749426.jpg_1518469750071.jpeg orca-image-1518467760246.jpg_1518467760837.jpeg orca-image-1518467714045.jpg_1518467714609.jpeg

Yithian likes this.