Yorkshire Ripper

Discussion in 'The Human Condition' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2002.

1. escargot1

escargot1 Justified and Ancient

Yup, the question is whether he should be put back into the prison system and thus 'released' only from Broadmoor, but of course the way the Scum sees it, any form of 'release' means ALLOWING THIS MONSTER TO WALK THE STREETS, FREE TO KILL AGAIN!

2. myf13

myf13 Yeti

http://www.bes-t.co.uk
    Rather than being shunted back in to the prison system, he could remain within the NHS but move to a medium secure unit or something. The various options would all count as "release from Broadmoor", but most aren't nearly as likely to stir up the seething masses as the vague hint of a suggestion of turning such a person out onto the streets to live out his days in amongst common, decent, hard-working people who pay their taxes blah blah blah - insert the usual tabloid press rants here.

The way such things are often reported in the press really does wind me up sometimes.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  3. Black River Falls

Black River Falls Justified and Ancient

The 30 year tariff he was given at his trial runs out in 2011... he is eligable for parole after that, though that's not to say that he will necessarily get it...

4. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    I've just watched this (far too close to bedtime):

I was a toddler at the time and have never given the case much attention. I was obviously aware of Sutcliffe's prison career and the existence of the Wearside Jack hoaxer, but that is about it.

I found this documentary informative, depressing and rather chilling.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Swifty and davidplankton like this.
  5. GerdaWordyer

GerdaWordyer Great Old One

What he deserves isn't legal in any country. That's too bad.

RaM likes this.
  6. escargot1

escargot1 Justified and Ancient

It probably is legal somewhere, though a society which would allow the level of barbarity which I'm guessing you're thinking of wouldn't inflict it on a man to punish him for crimes against mere women.

GingerTabby, Yithian and Swifty like this.
  7. PeteS

PeteS Yeti

Resurrecting what's been said before years ago this thread but this brings back many memories. Before he was identified I used to drive past the house where he lived virtually every day. During the time of the lengthy investigation many roadblocks were set up around the city every night and no matter which route you took drivers were stopped and interrogated. It happened to me and probably thousands of people many times.The cost of this part of the Police work alone must have been enormous. Really bad time for the community.

Ulalume, escargot1 and Swifty like this.
  8. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified and Ancient

Punishing barbarity with barbarity would be a rather odd way to signal disapproval at barbarity.

Is it right or is it wrong?