World Records

Discussion in 'The Human Condition' started by Mighty_Emperor, Oct 7, 2003.

1. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Is he nuts or just milking it for all its worth?

A Cook Islander has become the first ever world champion in the sport of coconut tree climbing, it's been reported.

George Iona emerged the winner in a field of 16 entrants, winning by the smallest of margins, Tahiti's Radio 1 reports. He scaled the eight-metre (26.25 feet) tree in 5.62 seconds at the event in the garden of the Tahiti Museum. His time was just one hundredth of a second ahead of American Samoa's Fiapa'i Ellio, the pre-race favourite.

The objective of the new sport is simple, Tahiti TMTV says: Climb the tree as quickly as possible, with each climber being given two attempts to post their best time. The winning tactic appears to entail wearing a loop of rough rope around the ankles, allowing better purchase on the trunk. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-40629686

2. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

There'll be a kernel of truth in that story.

Here's a coconut for ya;
    CNV00079.JPG

Guess the country and the year...

3. Heckler20

Heckler20 The unspeakable mass

Given the lush tropical setting, beautiful blue skies and verdant coconut trees, I'm going for Western-Super-Mare, yesterday?

4. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

Close, but no coconut...

5. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified and Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
    I'm doing a marathon DJ set for charity in a few weeks, hopefully it will all be video-streamed to the internet so you might be able to experience it for yerself!

Anyway...I've got a mate who works at Guinness World Records, so I thought I'd check it out. Longest DJ Set! It would be pretty cool to be a world holder. I was planning on doing 12 hours straight, all vinyl, how long could the current record be?

Ten days.

Ten days.

Granted, it was digital not vinyl, he was allowed a five minute break every hour, an hour break every 24 (or 12, can't remember), but the music had to be continuous, at least one person had to be dancing at all times, and he wasn't allowed to repeat a tune for at least four hours. And he wasn't allowed to sleep (he started hallucinating after day 5).

Still...

Ten days.

Mythopoeika likes this.
  6. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I assume by the time he reached the tenth day he had been reduced to playing The Dooleys and Liquid Gold records.