Wikileaks

Discussion in 'Conspiracy - general' started by shruggy63, Jun 11, 2010.

1. George_millett

George_millett Yeti

They were still being investigated as part of the usual Swedish process with involves an interview before charges are laid against the suspect. Assange hiding in the Equadorian embassey short circuited all of that.

As for him needing to be sent to Sweeden before he could be legally sent to the USA. Why would they need to do that? Under the terms of the current extradition treaty we have with the US if they wanted him it would have been redicolously easy for the Americans to have got him soon after they start the process as seen with those Nat West bankers. Something the US still hasn't done with Assange despite the changes in Administration.

2. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

I feel it wasn't easy for the American government to get Assange at that point otherwise they would have done so.

3. Yithian

Yithian Keeping The British End Up Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Hillary repeatedly asked whether they could assassinate him.
    Under those circumstances, I don't blame Assange for holing up wherever he thought safest rather than gambling on the Swedes not caving in to pressure.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    ramonmercado likes this.
  4. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

Why d'you think he took refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy where he's been for the last 5 years? It was one of the few countries which agreed to accept him. He ran the near certainty of arrest if he set foot outside it. There's no doubt the US authorities would like to get their hands on him & he probably took pre-emptive action in the expectation that extradition proceedings, firstly to Sweden, could happen.

Re the rape allegation, I made the point several pages ago that since neither of the women involved have pressed charges & are presumably not going to give evidence, there would appear to be no case whatsoever against him. I've never heard an answer to this.

The whole thing has been a monumental waste of time, manpower, & money.

ramonmercado likes this.
  5. George_millett

George_millett Yeti

Yet ironically enough that threat only existed because he ran to the Embassy to avoid having to answer for his actions in a Sweedish court.

And the Americans need to go through some overly elaborate scheme to get him involving gettin a third country to fabricate rape allegations for what particular reason? Especially considering it would have been easier to get him legally from the UK than it would be from Sweeden. And if you are meaning a snatch and grab again why go through the additional steps of finding some way of shipping to Sweeden where they might decide to lock him up and not give him to the Americans?

And charges are only brought at the express wishes of the victims and can only proceed if they give their consent?

Yes and all of it caused by Assange believing that he is above the law.

There is only one person to blame for this fiasco and he is still hiding in the Equadorian Embassy.

6. hunck

No, it's not a victims consent issue, but a criminal case has to built with corroborating evidence, witnesses statements. Rape is a serious crime and can be hard to prove. As I understand it, the women involved haven't pressed charges & won't be witnesses. The police effectively don't have a case.

If someone assaults me in the street when there's no other people around, I go to the police, tell them I know who did it, name him but then for my own reasons don't press charges or make an official statement in writing etc , what are they going to do about it? They know a crime's been committed, they've got the name but without me or some other witness there's no evidence.

Do you think the police can proceed with a case against someone with suspicion but no evidence?

7. Peripart

Peripart Justified and Ancient

So you think that Assange will become leader of his country, and live to a ripe old age, loved and admired by people the world over?

Or that Harry Enfield will take the piss out of him on a sketch show?

Swifty likes this.
  8. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

Hopefully both ;)

9. George_millett

George_millett Yeti

Case as in sending to court no. Case as in an investigation trying to get the neccessary evidence to then send it onto the prosecutors for them to make a decision. Yes as that is thier job.

The Police were still at the investigation phase when they felt that they had enough to warrent calling Assange in. At which point he decided to run the Embassy when we agreed to send him to Sweeden. And now he has hidden away long enough that one of the cases has had to be dismissed because the statute of limitations has expired, not because he was not found guilty.

10. hunck

That's all very well but how are the police going to get the necessary evidence without the victims giving them any? They're not going to get far in their investigations..

It's resulted in the paradoxical situation that he's claimed asylum against being extradited for a non-existent case, & thousands of hours of UK police time has been taken up, costing millions. It's been handled pretty ineptly to say the least. Of course that's putting aside all the other wikileaks stuff which is undoubtedly the real reason for all the shenanigans.

11. Coastaljames

Coastaljames Justified and Ancient

He really is a self-obsessed, egotistical cock.

My input to an otherwise intelligent and reasoned discourse.

Peripart and Tribble like this.
  12. hunck

Can't argue about that statement..

13. Yithian

Yithian Keeping The British End Up Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    I agree, but I also think he has also made the Swedish legal system look absurd.

14. hunck

Can't argue with that either.