Where The Hell Are The Flying Cars? It's The 21st Century!

Discussion in 'New Science' started by Mighty_Emperor, Sep 2, 2004.

1. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Great Old One

"As an optimistic pessimist"

I do love a nice oxymoron in the morning!

Ermintruder likes this.
  2. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Best served after one minute in the microwave with skimmed milk, sliced banana on top, and a side of brown toast.

3. Andy_X

Andy_X Portent

Ermintruder likes this.
  4. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  5. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    This article shows an artist's impression of the Airbus project - and it's quite different from the one shown above!
    Flying cars to be tested by end of 2017, says Airbus
    Alan Tovey and James Titcomb
    17 January 2017 • 8:48am

Airbus has been working on "vertical take-off and landing" (VTOL) technology that would allow vehicles to pick up passengers in busy urban areas, and has said it expects to be putting them into production by 2021.

Although flying cars have been a staple of science fiction for decades, investment in the concept is finally emerging. Google founder Larry Page has invested millions into two flying car start-ups, while Chinese company E-Hang has a prototype design.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/01/17/flying-cars-end-2017-says-airbus/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  6. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

A broader overview of projects underway and obstacles yet to be surmounted ...

FULL STORY: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-30-03-36-55

7. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

SOURCE: http://www.motortrend.com/news/first-commercially-available-flying-car-goes-on-sale-for-399000/

8. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Justified and Ancient

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38967235

PeteByrdie, Coal and Swifty like this.
  9. rynner2

Not just a flying car, but an electric flying car:
    Video: 46s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Can't find a story to go with the video...
    Found it!

Flying car successfully completes maiden flight
    James Titcomb
    21 April 2017 • 9:04am

An electric flying car that promises to revolutionise how we travel has completed its maiden test flight in Germany.

Lilium, the company developing the jet-propelled vehicle, says it could eventually change the face of transport by allowing passengers to rapidly travel through cities or commute long distances quickly.

The Lilium Jet takes off and lands vertically, like a helicopter, but uses wingpower once in the air to travel quietly and efficiently. Powered by an electric battery, it has a range of 300km (186 miles) and can travel at 300km per hour.

The prototype, tested in Munich, had room for two people but Lilium has developed a version that can seat five that it eventually plans to use to transport passengers. Lilium expects that users will hail the flying car with an app, as people currently do with Uber cars.

It says that because of the reduced time it will take to ferry people around cities, the vehicle will eventually be able to take people from JFK Airport in New York for $6 (£4.70) and in five minutes. The equivalent journey in a taxi takes 55 minutes and costs up to $73.

Lilium says its mission is to "liberate towns and cities from today’s congestion and pollution, with people able to come and go freely, vastly expanding the radius of their everyday lives".

The electric motor is meant to reduce emissions in busy cities, while quicker transport and less traffic will make it five times faster than a typical car journey. The company says this means people will be able to live five times further away from work than they do today.

The vehicles would only need a small area to take off and land in, so could do so on the roofs of buildings and car parks. The "vertical take-off and landing" (VTOL) technology directs its 36 jets downwards to ascend into the air, and then horizontally to drive it forward.

This is seen as a far more efficient transport method than air taxis that rely on drone-style rotors.

Lilium is not the only company working on personal flying vehicles. Uber has said it is preparing for a world of VTOL vehicles, while French aerospace giant Airbus plans to hold test flights this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/04/21/flying-car-successfully-completes-maiden-flight/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Bigphoot2 likes this.
  10. Mythopoeika

11. Ermintruder

Look, this is all very entertaining, but I absolutely guarantee, these will not be become commercial (or technical) realities for many years. If ever.

For electric versions: energy densities- unstated. Battery chemistry- never made mention of. Solid information regarding maximum takeoff weights- never even hinted at. Charging timescales and mechanisms- untouched upon (especially at remote landing points)

For hydrocarbon fuelled varieties: no word on how much fuel is actually being carried, and how trim is maintained.

But crucially - anti-collison systems. Where?

Oddly disorganised

EnolaGaia likes this.
  12. Mythopoeika

13. rynner2

We'll hold you to that! :twisted:

Ermintruder likes this.
  14. Ermintruder

As a scientific engineering Fortean dreamer, I think the only sense in which I'm a dream-killer, is that I try and encourage people to wake-up.

Ok. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Because....

I would be fascinated to see real solutions, being shown by these companies. Actual designs. Physical specifications. Test results.

Safety mechanisms, including true auto-deconfliction.

Perhaps papers on these designs do exist. Are published somewhere, perhaps as patents.

I want to see the reality of this, not to be given the standard 21st century glib placeholder of "there'll be an app for calling it, like Uber Taxi" (I refer to Lillium's electric jet....incidently, can someone explain to me why electric fans are being called 'jets'? Perhaps it is a translation thing).

VSTOL is hugely-complex and fraught with dangers. I have seen some of the preceding realities of this, up-close...and it is very very different from what we see being depicted here. Height/gravity/cross-winds/bad weather cannot be marketed away, or mitigated by video.

15. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

Here's a bloke with a flying jetsuit - looks like he can keep in the air for about a minute.
    There are other clips on the net where he falls over repeatedly - looks like this might become some kind of fairly dangerous extreme sport, like parkour, but only for a minute or two at a time.

Not that he is flying around in a farmyard, right next to a harrow with multiple blades pointed right at him - he must be fairly confident in his own flying abilities.

16. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Getting closer every day:

jimv1 likes this.
  17. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Damn. I've just had to reset my Coolometer.

18. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

19. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

I wonder if it was the Airphibian ? (without checking the dates) ..

ramonmercado likes this.
  20. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Justified and Ancient

You can also use it on mains power but need a bloody long cable :)