Westworld

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by Mighty_Emperor, Oct 12, 2005.

1. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

And disappointed I was! Got to the end and it was "Is that it?" time. Surprised to see I'm not the only one who found its gamesplaying tiresome. Yeah, let's beat up some women and call it a metacommentary on violence in computer games. Or let's not. Although Ingrid Bolso Berdal almost redeemed the final episode, that was a long way to go for it. Glad I didn't pay full price!

2. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Beloved of Ra

Well that took a bit of tracking down, the synth arrangement of that track didn't make it onto the soundtrack release... took me a while to work out it's more or less this piece:

Sheet music in video description... nice man :D

escargot likes this.
  3. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Beloved of Ra

escargot likes this.
  4. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

Disappointed overall.
    It looked amazing and I loved the clever use of contemporary music, but the painfully slow plot development meant my attention kept flagging.
    No wonder it was haemorrhaging viewers towards the end.
    Sincerely hope they wrap it up properly in series 2 and don't let it drag on interminably.

Peripart likes this.
  5. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
  6. stuneville

stuneville Amministratore principale Staff Member

I re-watched it recently: they could easily have done the ten episodes in six, five, even with tight editing. There's some really clever plot and character development in there, and the gradual reveal about timelines was brilliantly handled - it was just all way too far apart.

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  7. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

I'm really enjoying this - and I thought there might be some interest in this short here - it's called City Slickers in Westworld, and it has the actors from the acclaimed comedy in the world of Delos!

8. blessmycottonsocks

On the verge of giving up on Westworld.

The effects are still superb, but it's grindingly slow and series 2 is showing worrying signs of degenerating into soap opera or, even worse, a directionless cop-out like Lost.

Relaunching Westworld as a one-off movie would have been far better than this (but probably not as lucrative).

escargot likes this.
  9. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

We've recorded the new episodes and watched them, and I have to admit I've lost interest. It seems to be just fighting and shooting, yawn.
    I'll give it another go but not expecting much.

blessmycottonsocks likes this.
  10. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Well.....I'm enjoying this second season as much as the first...and I like the somewhat slow development....you are going to have fighting since the hosts are malfunctioning (or achieving sentience however you want to look at it...)trying to take over the world...makes perfect sense to me. I could do without some of the backstory in the second season so far but it does help flesh out why certain people turned out the way they did. I don;t like it when a series gets to the punch line too soon...it ruins the tension and misses a lot of opportunities to explore issues.

11. blessmycottonsocks

I'm just afraid that, like so many US series, we will invest a lot of our time, only to find there IS no punchline.

escargot likes this.
  12. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Actually I'm surprised I even used that phrase.....is a 'punchline' always needed to enjoy a program.....does there have to be one in the end?

13. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Punchlines don't bother me and I can handle slow development, but constant violence, how boring.

14. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

15. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Episodes're piling up unwatched on our Sky box. Not sure we'll make the effort.

I can cope with all the plot/identity twists but violence bores me, especially shooting. I'm not offended or appalled. It's just tedious. I'm a grown woman, not a kid of 15 who's obsessed with gaming.

16. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I don't mind violence (in fiction!), it's like any tool in the film and TV makers' arsenal, can be used well or badly, it was the "nothing happening until the last five minutes" of the first season that bored me. Can't work up much enthusiasm for season 2, though a friend has recommended it.

escargot likes this.
  17. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

The first episode of the new series is a long shoot-out. The next one too, I drifted off to Reddit!

The who's-a-host business in the gun battles reminds me of the old B&W cowboy fillums where old stock was re-used so that an actor watching might spot himself shooting at himself in a different coloured hat!

Really, I'm done with it, for the same reasons as I've dumped The Walking Dead. It's just a load of cruelty, not engaging.

18. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I hear you, whenever someone wants to do a "dark, gritty" version of an existing property it can get pretty tedious when the remakers believe that means relentless nastiness without a shred of wit.

escargot likes this.
  19. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Yup, that describes it for me. I'm not a fan of action movies.

The best part of the original fillum for me was when the Gunslinger was tracking the guest and you heard that deep twangy music. It comes up now and then in the modern version too.

20. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

And the original film is genuinely witty too, the sense of humour is a bit twisted, but it is there. Couldn't detect a single chuckle in the TV remake.

Timble2 and escargot like this.
  21. blessmycottonsocks

I gave up on Westworld 4 or 5 episodes back, but haven't yet deleted them from my Sky box.
    Does it improve!

22. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Yup, that's another failing, the lack of humour.

My favourite show, The Sopranos, has bursts of sometimes quite extreme violence (shootings, beatings-up, teeth being kicked out, one rape, a scalding, a couple of graphic suicides, a manual choking, manual stranglings, murder by cushion, garrottings, etc) but there's a huge amount of humour mixed in, sometimes very dark. You sometimes wonder how the cast keep a straight face. Keeps me interested!

23. David Plankton

David Plankton Antediluvian

And not forgetting what happened to Adriana's dog. I thought some of the funniest bits on the Sopranos were the jokes they used to tell each other.

A guy comes home one day carrying a duck under his arm.
    Guy- 'This is the pig that I've been f@*king.'
    Wife- 'That's a duck.'
    Guy- 'Who's talkin' to you?'

Or when Bobby Bacala and Vito (two obese men) are standing belly to belly and Ralph says - Hey, it's just like one of those photos from weight-watchers. 'Before' and 'waaaaay before'.

A broad New Jersey accent makes these sound much funnier.

Bigphoot2 and escargot like this.
  24. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Was it barkin'?

Hold on, that's Paulie not Ralphie. When Ralphie makes a fat joke people end up dead.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  25. David Plankton

David Plankton Antediluvian

It was mental.
    Heyyy! Watchyagonnadoaboudit, huh?

escargot likes this.
  26. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Well, got to the end of WW season 2, and if it's true the next season is going to be completely different, I have no problem with that. At least I felt something was happening, unlike season 1, but it did try the patience (the Native American episode contributed what, exactly?). From the way they were going on, this show is more like the sequel Futureworld, and that's the way they'll continue. Every SF show has its evil doubles storyline if it lasts long enough.

27. stuneville

stuneville Amministratore principale Staff Member

I got to the end of S2: E2, but lost the motivation to watch E3. I still have the rest of them - so I suppose my question is if I just watch the season 2 finale will I miss huge and important plot development, or will I just be none the wiser but still positoned for Season 3?

28. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

No.

maximus otter

blessmycottonsocks likes this.
  29. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Opening credits: Ooo! This looks good!

Anthony Hopkins: "The past is the present; the future is now!"
    Some bloke: "Can the weltanschauung overcome the noblesse oblige?"
    Hopkins: "If the present becomes the past while the future becomes the end!"

A bunch of Mexicans shoot a bunch of Indians for no apparent reason.

Thandie Newton: "I'm a prostitute, but I'm not keen. I'll hint at a lesbian relationship with that bint over there to keep interest rates up. Then I'll shoot someone for no apparent reason. Then I'll get my [CGI] tits out."

Some beardy black bloke: "Hmmm: my magic iPad tells me that the splootifier in this cockwaffle is rebooting its thrunge nodules. This is bad!"
    Basil Exposition: "Does that mean that the schadenfreude of the hors d'oeuvres is failing and that we're all going to die?"

A bunch of blokes dressed as 1960s Bond villain's minions shoot a bunch of white people for no apparent reason.

Ed Harris gallops round a desert meeting people, half of whom he shoots for no apparent reason; the other half he kidnaps, also for no apparent reason.

The beardy black bloke: "My past has become the future! My magic iPad indicates that there's a deus ex machina over there! Run!"
    Basilina Exposition: "Does that mean that the Froopyland throdulator is on a collision course with the DNA copying thingy?"

A bunch of Confederate soldiers shoot a bunch of Mexicans for no apparent reason.

Etc. ad nauseam.

I'd give it 2/10: one point for each of Thandie Newton's blouse bunnies.

On second thoughts, make it 1½ points, because they were CGI.

maximus otter

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  30. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Always with the scenarios!

David Plankton likes this.