Westworld

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by Mighty_Emperor, Oct 12, 2005.

1. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

And disappointed I was! Got to the end and it was "Is that it?" time. Surprised to see I'm not the only one who found its gamesplaying tiresome. Yeah, let's beat up some women and call it a metacommentary on violence in computer games. Or let's not. Although Ingrid Bolso Berdal almost redeemed the final episode, that was a long way to go for it. Glad I didn't pay full price!

2. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Beloved of Ra

Well that took a bit of tracking down, the synth arrangement of that track didn't make it onto the soundtrack release... took me a while to work out it's more or less this piece:

Sheet music in video description... nice man :D

3. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Beloved of Ra

escargot likes this.
  4. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

Disappointed overall.
    It looked amazing and I loved the clever use of contemporary music, but the painfully slow plot development meant my attention kept flagging.
    No wonder it was haemorrhaging viewers towards the end.
    Sincerely hope they wrap it up properly in series 2 and don't let it drag on interminably.

Peripart likes this.
  5. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
  6. stuneville

stuneville Amministratore principale Staff Member

I re-watched it recently: they could easily have done the ten episodes in six, five, even with tight editing. There's some really clever plot and character development in there, and the gradual reveal about timelines was brilliantly handled - it was just all way too far apart.

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  7. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

I'm really enjoying this - and I thought there might be some interest in this short here - it's called City Slickers in Westworld, and it has the actors from the acclaimed comedy in the world of Delos!

8. blessmycottonsocks

On the verge of giving up on Westworld.

The effects are still superb, but it's grindingly slow and series 2 is showing worrying signs of degenerating into soap opera or, even worse, a directionless cop-out like Lost.

Relaunching Westworld as a one-off movie would have been far better than this (but probably not as lucrative).

escargot likes this.
  9. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

We've recorded the new episodes and watched them, and I have to admit I've lost interest. It seems to be just fighting and shooting, yawn.
    I'll give it another go but not expecting much.

blessmycottonsocks likes this.
  10. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Well.....I'm enjoying this second season as much as the first...and I like the somewhat slow development....you are going to have fighting since the hosts are malfunctioning (or achieving sentience however you want to look at it...)trying to take over the world...makes perfect sense to me. I could do without some of the backstory in the second season so far but it does help flesh out why certain people turned out the way they did. I don;t like it when a series gets to the punch line too soon...it ruins the tension and misses a lot of opportunities to explore issues.

11. blessmycottonsocks

I'm just afraid that, like so many US series, we will invest a lot of our time, only to find there IS no punchline.

12. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Actually I'm surprised I even used that phrase.....is a 'punchline' always needed to enjoy a program.....does there have to be one in the end?

13. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Punchlines don't bother me and I can handle slow development, but constant violence, how boring.