Tying The Threads Together

Discussion in 'It Happened To Me!' started by gattino, Jun 6, 2018.

1. gattino

gattino Justified & Ancient

My various accounts of paranormal seeming sagas which relate to/interconnect with past ones are becoming ever more difficult to keep track of as there are now multiple different threads in which new events can be posted. To try and make sense of it all here's my best attempt to bullet point everything that's happened so far in one place. Two past storylines and how they've recently merged. Nothing new here, but its for my benefit as much as yours.

Sign of the Cross

1) 2003 small cross vanishes from chain around my mum's neck. Given to her by my dad. Nowhere to be found. I address the air and ask "them" for it back. Re-enter room and its slap bang in the middle of the floor id searched on my hands on knees.

2) 2012 All one day: mum (dementia/uti) refers to seeing my dad at the door or her bedroom; I recieve in post a book id sent for on synchronicity being communication from the dead and in its first few pages is a story of a woman with my dad's name - Jeri Gerrard (my dad was Gerry short for Gerard) - and a CROSS pen, vanishes, nowhere to be found, demands it back, reappears slap bang in middle of place she's searched; my mum - unaware of this - goes loopy angrly demands "the tin box". Only tin box i can think of is a biscuit tin in her bedside drawer. Give it to her. She searches and pulls out the chain with the cross on it.

3) 2015 Author of the Exorcist , W P Blatty, writes book claiming his dead son is sending signs through weird coincidences. In a review of the book it details one incident...a "miraculous medal" (catholic holy medal) belonging to dead son disappears from chain round Blatty's neck. He and wife search shower cubicle a dozen times. later asks for it back. Enters shower cubicle and there it is bang in the middle in plain sight. I look up what a "miraculous medal" is and find its identical to one on my mum's chain, next to the cross.

4) 2016 Letter in Fortean times. Woman in Puerto Rico. Dead sister... "mary medal" (miraculous medal)...in safety deposit box (tin box!)..key disappears..she's distraught..prays, asks for it back, and finds it in the place it previously wasn't.

Is this what you're looking for? - the book/Prophet saga.

1) May 2016 Day brother dies a book "appears" on his bed, a book on Deathbed phenomena titled One Last Hug Before I Go. I write to author to tell her about it.

2) July 2016 I have a false awakening dream in which i hear brother leaving his room and shouting about something being haunted. I'm then "attacked" by something invisible"..wake up. In morning i switch on computer, open amazon and find the search box already filled in. Joni Mayhan. Name means nothing to me. Click search and find she's the author of books on "true life" paranormal events. "Signs of Spirt: when loved ones visit" and "Ghostly defences" stand out. Later that day I go into my mum's room after the carers have left and find on the floor beneath her bed a bracelet of prayer beads with two tiny items attached. A cross and holy medal. The latter depicts St Anthony of Padua...the tradtional catholic saint in charge of the return of lost objects.

3) 3 weeks later I send for the former book, which tells me if the deceased communicate through signs it will be distinctly relevant to them. Dawns on me ive had two book related events and my brother was an absolute bibliophile. As soon as i note his down another book incident happens.... Friend tells me he's to be a pall bearer at his birth mum's funeral (he was adopted) and read a poem but doesn't know what. unsolicited i go looking for somethng to suggest, and think a book my dead brother had given me, Kalil Gibran's The Prophet might have an appropriate passage. Find one, tell friend. He replies "That's weird" He'd been carrying around a book given to him by his mum when they first reunited and signed inside by her saying how much it had given her over the years. Shows me. Kalil Gibran's the Prophet.

4) September 2016 The author of One Last Hug finally gets back to me. Knows none of the above but randomly tells me a book themed incident of her own. When her mum was dying her best friend looks for a book to give her comfort. In book shop one falls off shelf at her feet. A book that was popular at the time and helped people in their transition from this life she explained. It was called ...The Prophet.

The sagas merge

1) 2018 Tuesday May 15th was the second anniversary of my brother's death. Thursday 17th was his birthday. So on the latter day i visit the park were his ashes were scattered. On the way home, in town, I passed a homeless man, who was sitting upright on the pavement with his eyes closed. The more I looked at him the more i couldn't take my eyes off him and my heart started pounding. He was the absolute double of my brother. To the extent that i was wondering afterwards if it was real.
    Later I remembered another anecdote from WP Blatty's book. His wife was drawn to a homeless man on the street because he reminded her so much of their dead son, when suddenly he reached out his hand and shouted "my birthday is May 17th". She went pale...that was the birthday of the dead son. And of my brother. That same day..the day i saw the homeless man.

2) Next week I tell all of the above on the comments section of a paranormal blog. Immediately below me another person addresses someone else, arguing for reincarnation by quoting a passage from - and advising anyone who hadn't to read - Kalil Gibran's the Prophet. I then remembered that the weekend before this I had an airbnb booking from someone with my brother's name and the weekend after it I had one from a chinese man with the adopted name Kalil. As in Gibran the author of the Prophet.
    So now both the cross saga and the book/prophet saga have re-emerged simultaneously and started to merge into one unified story.

3) A day or two later i see the homeless man again. He's real, flesh and blood and so i sneak a pic of him to prove im not imagining it. To make a side by side comparison with my brother in his last year I look for any pics on facebook of him as he looked then . What i find is a photo ive never seen posted last year on May 15th (the anniversary of his death) by a friend of his I've never heard of. Under the photo is a long description/commentary by this friend, which ends with a side note..that in order to determine when it was taken he'd just looked at the date on the photo and can't explain it as, he claims, it says 17 May 2016. This was my brother's birthday and two days after he died. How then that date was on the photo he couldn't fathom "Weird hey!" he wrote.
    On the photo I took of the homeless man i later noticed he has a plastic rosary around his neck.. a cross upon a chain.

4) last night in bed, reading a book called "Things You Can Do When You're Dead" i come across an account of a woman with a cross on a chain which vanishes and reappears weeks later.

Full details and appropriate photos of all these things are in the various other threads. But for now, we're all up to date.

witchandshaman, Ger, Rosebud and 2 others like this.
  2. gattino

3. Dave landfill

Dave landfill Junior Acolyte

I'm pretty sure this is the most epic synchronistic chain of events I've come across - knocks spots off anything I've experienced.

I've always tried to maintain a degree of rationality with my own- thinking that the type incidents are happening all the time and that I myself am in some way, on a subconcious level lighting up the pointers and then conciously making the connection.

I think the evidence here as you present it here completely kicks that theory into touch.

Personally I have no experience of coincidences that I can tie to anything of any signifigance - for me, they've just been interesting if slightly confusing moments of mystery that lead to nothing in particular and don't seem to have any true or decipherable purpose.

Yours on the other hand do have more than a strong suggestion of something much more meaningful and with a purpose.

Very, very interesting.

bloop and Ermintruder like this.
  4. gattino

As a one place resource here are other original photos. The two quotes from the Blatty book are from the original review I read rather than the pages of the book itself. The letter in the FT was from June 2016. upload_2018-6-8_23-28-10.jpeg upload_2018-6-8_23-26-13.jpeg upload_2018-6-8_23-26-43.jpeg upload_2018-6-8_23-27-35.jpeg [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Dave landfill and Ermintruder like this.
  5. gattino

My best attempt to include everything in a visually digestible form.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I don't want to rain on your parade, Gattino, but maybe your grief is damaging your sense of clarity. With this thread you're tying a lot of elements together to create your own version of your world and it's one step away from adding Bible quotes and conspiracy theory YouTube videos. Maybe leave this alone for a week or two, then go back to it and see if you still feel the same way?

7. gattino

HAhahaha! (genuine laugh ..i was thinking today about people who obsess over certain numbers they see everywhere etc, looking out for them and ignoring all others)

I appreciate the sentiment, and understand where its coming from. But I promise you - as objective as anyone can be about themselves - I'm not driven by grief to see signs, and certainly not to look out for them.

How can I be sure? Well the lack of emotional content on my part is one element, but more than that each of the incidents here described are years apart, unsought, occur spontaneously outwith any immediate circumstantial or psychological trigger and are individually striking in isolation. The stringing together is an unavoidable observation from their content. Nor have I just recently looked back now and tied them all together..its grown organically with each isolated incident over the years reported on here. The similarity or apparent connection of one event to the preceding out of the ordinary experience is so evident that not to draw attention to it would seem wilfully obtuse.

My various repetitive attempts to collect all these things in one place as "parts of a puzzle" are attempts at clarity and succinctness (the latter i clearly fail at!)

To suggest this collection of data owes more to my personal psychology than any objective reality fails at least for me (though if i am delusional im clearly not going to be the best judge of it!) on the fact that the incidents themselves are a) out of hte ordinary/extraordinary b)objectively and externally real as opposed to fabrications or fancies of my own - the various matching accounts of identical incidents involving identical objects are in published material to be read and checked by anyone. c) genuinely linked on multiple levels one to another beyond my ability to reasonably ignore the fact.

So for example. The initial incident with the cross that reappears on request. An extraordinary event and objectively real. Perhaps the "reappearing" itself is down to some mental quirk and all such incidents are. But none the less the experience happened and is worth reporting. So when an identical experience occurs in a book i'm reading..should i notice and point it out? And in doing so should the added elements of the experient having my father's name, and my reading it on the same day my mother "hallucinates" his presence and quite separately retrieves the object involved int he original incident be overlooked? Not referred to? It's the extraordinary multiplied by the extraordinary isn't it? Regardless of my personal mental state (incidentally at this point in the tale my father had been dead 12 years and i wasn't grieving for anybody!)

So having noted and reported these events - justly and rationally I would argue - what do i do when the the same story comes to my attention again, with yet more overlapping elements.?I'm not inventing the story, i'm not imagining it, not seeking it out, it just turns up. And then again. And again. Nor am I putting a sheen of eeriness on everyday happenings. Disappearing-reappearing objects, dopplegangers, purported after death communications etc are not widely considered everyday happenings. In the whole sequence of events here recorded the only single element that could justly be seen as subjective on my part is the perception the homeless man looked like my brother. What can I say. He genuinely does.

Do the normal debunking arguments for clusters of "coincidence" apply? Can one apply the law of big numbers to incidents which are supposed not to happen at all?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 10:20 AM
  8. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

OK, I was just getting a bit worried, but to answer your question, yes, if you're looking out for coincidences, consciously or not, you're going to see patterns that may or may not be there. And even if there are patterns, they're no proof of a higher purpose. Anything may not be possible, but many things are probable, and I'm not seeing anything in your posts that is objective, it's all filtered through what you are expecting to see. It's the old curse of confirmation bias.

9. gattino

But what am I expecting to see?

Let's work our way back from my conclusions - I have none. Well clearly certain inferences are invited by repeated references to dead individuals (but i can't do much about their lack of living) and the involvement of books on after death communication. One might think I'm implying the spirit of X is causing these events to occur (whether or not my motive, conscious or unconscious is to comfort myself or confirm existing opinions on that subject). The problem with that inference is that I don't believe that. At least not as some all encompassing agency. I don't think my dead father is behind it since it involves people who have nothing to do with him having experiences before he died..and the same applies to my brother. Plus in either case to imagine they or any other dead individual were "doing" anything to engineer all this would require me to see them having the powers of a god, not a ghost.

Nor do I believe some deity or other cosmic entity is sending me messages...they're being annoyingly opaque if they are.

What I believe is only that it is a sequence of events with all the appearance of interconnectedness which is both extraordinary and very very curious. No more than that. But that's surely enough. It hints at something, but ive no sense of what that something is and am neither comforted nor disturbed by it.

You say you don't see anything objective but only things filtered through what I expect to see. It's a point hard to argue with since I'm not sure what it means! I'm using the word objective to mean externally materially real - ie a paragraph in a book, a photograph, an event. They exist with or without my input. The "meaning" I give to these things consists entirely in pointing out their existence, their coming to my attention (unsought) and observing their - again objectively real - parallels. If a disappearing reappearing cross is only connectable to a disappearing reappearing cross , or the Prophet is only relatable to the Prophet because of a "filter" of my own that makes them seem so rather than as a simple fact in its own right, then I have to concede I must be seeing the world in a different way. And conceding that, I may be subject to poor thinking processes. But as I can't see it I'd struggle to correct it.

10. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Well, I can illustrate with a recent experience of my own. Last week I was reminded of the film version of Eugene Ionescu's play Rhinoceros, which I saw about twenty years ago on TV. In the days since, I have been haunted by rhinos, they keep getting mentioned wherever I look, or so it seems - and today I opened the newspaper to see the Ionescu play had been revived in Scotland and yesterday won an award.

Now, according to your pattern-seeking, this is all deliberate on the part of some mysterious agency. But without that thinking, this is the sort of thing that happens to everyone, there will always be clusters of incidents and references to certain things you can group and connect, it's a natural part of life. So I don't think your experiences are exclusive to you, they're universal, and a matter of the apparently random becoming apparently contrived.

I don't think your thinking is poor, though! You're just doing what everyone does once in a while, but placing far too much significance on it.

11. gattino

But that's not according to me. Firstly because im not seeking a pattern and secondly because i've explicitly ruled out "the deliberate mysterious agency" (or at least any obvious candidate for one)

Seeing repeated references to random objects, people or terms which have initially caught your attention, because your subconsicous mind is scanning your surroundings and alerting your conscious mind to any examples it comes across and would otherwise ignore is something I'm very well aware of like everybody else. I still don't see how it relates to the material here.

The differences are easy to identify.

Firstly the nature of the incidents themselves are independently extraordinary/fortean/"paranormal", regardless of their similarity to all of the subsequent ones. They are not random things encountered on normal days like the word rhinoceros. I've not included eg The Prophet because i once saw a reference to it and then saw a copy in a bookshop, or someone told me they'd read it. I include it because of the head scratching or connected circumstances under which it arose on the first two occassions and the re-emerging reference to it in parallel to a subsequent Fortean experience.

Nor is there an obvious proximity in time between most of the incidents to indicate either a chance "clustering" of related things in time or that "its on my mind" and therefore some unconscious part of me is seeking it out. There's a 9 year gap between the first two incidents and the first one had been all but forgotten until the second one's obvious parallels brought it to the fore again. The next two cross incidents are 1-2 years apart so again not "on my mind" with my unconscious scanning the horizon to alert me, nor have they clustered closely together.

And thirdly there's the fact there is no selection process going on. At least I don't think its reasonable to imagine I've had just as many accounts or experiences of disappearing/reappearing pencil sharpeners, bathing caps or tickling sticks but have erased them from my memory because they didn't fit the cross pattern I'm on the alert for. And there's no secret file drawer stuffed with such incidents but without the additional flourish of the person bearing my father's name.

The incidents here in which repeated and interconnected motifs are noted are not every day life but it's far from every day and out of the blue interruptions which involve objects appearing from nowhere, a computer screen filling in its own search items, a woman seeing her dead husband, false awakenings, dopplegangers, a post-mortem dated photograph and sundry other isolated extraordinary things. The connections between them are an additional fact ABOUT them.

I do understand the process of pattern spotting your refer to. We all experience it but I genuinely struggle to make it fit these events.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  12. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I can only comment on how your posts seem to me, and there's an apparent need to make connections between things that are not as significant as you're making them in your mind. The fact that they happened a while apart should clue you in to the fact that anybody could create a series of "important" events out of their memories, and while some could be legitimate - what led you to a turning point, for example - plenty more could be the pattern spotting I mentioned above.

Please don't think I'm singling you out for this behaviour, we all do it, I simply see you getting lost in it and that's not a good place to be.

13. gattino

Fair enough. If that's how it reads to you I can't deny you your perceptions, perplexing as they may be to me.

14. David Plankton

David Plankton Antediluvian

@gattino , I think you are a very rational bloke and when you present your findings in graphics it really helps to understand.

Whether there's meaning to it or not, it's still a great example of coincidence/synchronicity.

witchandshaman and Dave landfill like this.
  15. gattino

GNC's concerns noted, let me continue with a development.

I've just seen again and finally spoken to the homeless man.

His beard was gone and head shaved. He caught my eye and said hi. So I knelt beside him and asked his name. Simon. I told hm about having been shocked the first few times i'd seen him by the resemblance to my brother. I confessed to having taken his pic and he said he thought he'd seen me do so.

To cut our story short he was lovely man with an extraordinary story, which i won't go into just now. Enough to say he was a man in need of redemption and buoyed by faith (I asked him about teh cross around his neck. He said its what keeps him going and how someone's looking after him/id be amazed by how things work to help him/us or something to that effect.) He'd just been offered a hostel bed that night for the first time, which would give him an address so he could start to get back on his feet. He'd almost reached the sum of money he needed. Maybe this is a line he says to everyone. I don't believe so but it wouldn't matter in the slightest if it was. I obviously gave him what he needed, and then I got up to leave....

Then I paused. I remembered my duty to you dear readers. You'd never forgive me if I didn't ask the question... "By the way, when is your birthday?" Of course I wasn't expecting it but given May 17th was my brother's birthday, Blatty Jr's and the other homeless man's as well as the day I encountered him, we had to make sure. So "When's your birthday?"

"January"
    Ah well, I shrugged to myself as I stood up
    "..January 11th"

You've got to be shitting me.

He doesn't share my brother's birthday. He shares mine.

16. Ger

Ger Fresh Blood

17. Ger

Ger Fresh Blood

Thanks for this gattino,very interesting...and useful, I keep getting lost with all the different threads.