Thylacines & Thylacoleos: Pre-1936 & Genetic Ethics

Discussion in 'Cryptozoology: Mystery Quadrupeds' started by Anonymous, May 28, 2002.

1. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Yes, and here again it is just a theory. But does look as if we're ever going to see a live Tas/wolf it ill have to be by Cloning.

2. oldrover

oldrover Justified & Ancient

A theory backed up by solid evidence. We have the receipts Brig.

3. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Receipts? Explain, please.

4. oldrover

We have records of the payments. One or two got paid a fair bit, but it was over years, it wasn't enough to live on. When you know that it ceases to become just a theory, it's an economic fact. You could not live on thylacine payments and no-one did. There were no full time tiger hunters, that there were was the theory, and it's been disproved.

As for the later years, the maximun price I've heard was £50. That was 1924 and for a family group, it did change the lives of the trapper and his family, but it was still only about half a years wages, and he only ever caught one (plus young). There are only two men from 1922 onward recorded as having caught more than one, an employee at Woolnorth who's name I forget, and Elias Churchill who's credited with 8 and that's ridiculous.

5. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Thanks for the information. But I till would like to see a real, live, one some time.

6. oldrover

As would I. But it won't happen for either of us I'm sorry to say. I spoke to the guy who started the cloning project earlier this year, I strongly got the impression that despite they're having the complete genome, the practicalities won't be solved anytime soon.

7. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Nurtz. Oh well I can still hope live ones exist somewhere in the wild. Yes it's a long shot. But there is always that possibility.

8. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Junior Acolyte

Damn, that is top of my bucket list.

9. oldrover

Never mind Andy, it will happen one day, I'm sure of that. Just take good care of yourself because I think it'll be a while yet.