Thylacines (Post 1936 Sightings)

Discussion in 'Cryptozoology - Mystery Quadrupeds' started by songhrati, Mar 9, 2007.

1. oldrover

oldrover Justified and Ancient

Personally I think the thylacine and the Tasmanian tiger, or just tiger, is fine. These are words that have always been used for the animal. Other variants now seem to have gone into disuse like 'zebra wolf', 'possum hyena' and 'native hyena'.

2. Brig

Brig Great Old One

As a youngster it really bugged me that ny animal could go extinct and thus no loner be seen or be a part of life. Seeing a short news reel that showed a Thalacine doing a yawn really made an impression on me, Like a dog with a rally huge mouth,t hat impression on a ten year old has stayed with me all these years' (I'm pushing 80.)

krissy97 and VinceWLB like this.
  3. MungomanII

MungomanII Mostly harmless...

Knowing the Australian penchant for frigging about with words - in this case, it wouldn't surprise me to soon hear it called the Thylo...as in Johnno...and Davo...and Jimbo.

4. oldrover

5. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    davidplankton and oldrover like this.
  6. oldrover

I missed that, so an extra glittering accolade to you. To be honest, I had no idea how big they were till I looked it up after you said.

Mythopoeika likes this.
  7. lordmongrove

lordmongrove Justified and Ancient

www.cfz.org.uk
    I hate the term Tasmanian tiger and will always say Thylacine or Tasmanian wolf.

VinceWLB likes this.
  8. lordmongrove

www.cfz.org.uk
    How about the Yucatan and the Aztec pyramids?

9. Brig

Brig Great Old One

I never got as far as the Mexican pyramids. I grant you they would be interesting. I guess I just have a gringo fear of Mexico. Call it preconditioning.

LittleBat likes this.
  10. VinceWLB

VinceWLB Phantom

I always use the term Thylacine because:

1/ The species isn't endemic to Tasmania.
    2/ They have little to do with Tigers, even i feel Wolf is a bit far fetched. It's an unique animal in so many ways.

11. oldrover

I'm happy enough with calling it a tiger, it's got a long tradition of being called that and if I only called it a thylacine, I'd be writing thylacine, thylacine, thylacine too much in a paragraph. It annoys me to repeat the same word too often when I'm writing, so I use tiger to break it up.

I don't like wolf though, that's got connotations that you're reducing it down to being just a convergent species, when it was/is much more unique than that.

What was it some wanker called it, 'a kangaroo masquerading as a wolf'.

12. amyasleigh

amyasleigh Great Old One

The business of "what name(s) for our favourite stripy marsupial carnivore?" -- I'm on the same page in various ways, with a number of PPs. Am like lordmongrove in that I prefer -- gut-wise anyway -- "Tasmanian wolf" to ditto "tiger": in my case, just because "Tasmanian wolf" was the name under which I first learnt of the species -- as a kid in the 1950s, from books in the family from a generation or two or three previously. Becoming aware much later, of the more generally popular in its homeland, "tiger" appellation, my initial thought was, "that's silly -- except for the stripes, it's nothing like a tiger: re placental-animal-resemblances, it's less cat-like, than dog-like".

I feel with oldrover that I want to have available some alternative name to use, so that when writing or talking about the animal, I'm not repeating "thylacine" the whole time, stuck-record-wise. Am ready enough these days to use "tiger" for that purpose; it seeming to be more employed for the creature, than anything else which isn't the "three-syllable word starting with t and finishing with e" -- though "wolf" strikes a more agreeable chord with me.

Agree "with my head" with krissy97, that the animal was basically, just itself -- really not much like a wolf, tiger, or hyena -- none of them in any way, zoologically-good parallels.

Krepostnoi, krissy97 and oldrover like this.
  13. Brig

Brig Great Old One

It looks like a weird dog or wolf. Other than stripes it looks nothing like a tiger. People tend to call strange beasts and even humans (Indians for American natives) by whatever name comes to mind when they first encounter the creatures. I would not be adversed to renaming the animal by its original native moniker. But Tasmanian wolf or tiger has become so entrenched, it would be difficult to rename it. American Indians are still "Indians" to most Americans, Remember the Brontosaurus? They tried to change that one to Apatasaurus. A few of the very young went along with the change' but most people over 30 still knew it as a Brontosaurus. Then they discovered more bones that re-establisjed the Brontosaurus and , again, we have a generation confused' but a lot of happy older dinosaur collectors.

14. lordmongrove

www.cfz.org.uk
    It turns out that Brontosaurus was a real species after all and distinct from Apatasaurus.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontosaurus

15. Brig

Brig Great Old One

Yes, I know. Beautiful....what? B y any other name the Tasmanian wolf, tiger. whatever, will still be a fascinating animal worthy of our respect and possible return. And yes there are large tracts where it can be reestablished; if it isn't already there.

krissy97 likes this.
  16. krissy97

krissy97 Phantom

I found an interesting article on DNA I thought you might like, it does talk about the Thylacine and the Devil at the end of it. If DNA research can save a species from extinction like the Devil then it is worth the time and money put into the effort.

http://phys.org/news/2010-01-mammoth-forefront-molecular-biology.html

The scientists are still of course obsessed with cloning a woolly mammoth, I think it is just because they find them frozen and think they are a good source of DNA. If that obsession leads to breakthroughs in science that helps surviving species then more power to them.

17. Brig

Brig Great Old One

18. oldrover

It's been kindly pointed out to me that information I gave earlier in this thread is wrong. I said that there was only one known example of thylacine material from New Guinea. This is way out.

In addition to pointing out my error they were also kind enough to send more information which I'll link to here for those who are interested.
    openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/9440

Relevant chapters being 7-10.

PeteByrdie likes this.
  19. oldrover

20. Brig

Brig Great Old One

A really good photo. I never saw that one before.

Andy Saunders likes this.