Threads Thread: 'Clothes Maketh The Man'

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by Ermintruder, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

I've often wondered why the wearing of other people's clothes has never (?) been seen as imbuing the newer wearer with some tenuous aspects of the original owner's characteristics.

Note: I'm not believing (necessarily) that this is, or could be the case. I'm meaning that my perception is that there are remarkably-few human superstitions about it (tell me otherwise). I'm unaware of any real taboos regarding this, and that really surprises me.

Again, I'm not referring to people 'in disguise', or the wearing of crowns etc of authority.

Perhaps this is just the absence of a nothing, but I am genuinely-surprised (hygiene aspects apart) that there is such an expedient equanimity about the wearing of other peoples' clothes.

I also may be phobic about clothes lying on seats etc, almost in the shape that they'd be, if worn by a person. So I really dislike a pair of unworn trousers that are sitting on an easy chair, with a bend at the knee. I have to fold them, either in half (to form a singular trouser) or fold them completely. Or an empty sweater, across the back of a seat, with its arms wide open

By way of clarification- for me, this is neither OCD or ultra-neatness. It's a form of unwornclothesaphobia (I am unsure if there's an official latinate name for it...if not, I'm open to suggestions, or will conjour one up from the scrying bowl later....)

ps on a tenuously-related angle, I've recently made a curious textile technology discovery regarding denim jeans...when I tell you, it'll answer a question you never knew you always wanted to know the answer to.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Ermintruder likes this.
  3. EnolaGaia

Ermintruder likes this.
  4. EnolaGaia

Ermintruder likes this.
  5. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

I wear lots of clothes from charity shops and have never had a problem or felt it ought to be some sort of problem. The only time I have ever come across any snobbery about it is in a book I read as a child about ponies. Our heroine wanted a pair of jodhpurs and a pair came up second hand. She had to get permission from her mother and only after assurances from the seller that they came from a "lady of quality". Silly cow (the mother).

I think it would be extremely impractical to scruple about other peoples perfectly good clothes which is probably why it doesn't happen. Where would it stop? Moving house? But someone else used to live there! Staying in a hotel? But other people have slept in that bed! Georgian chair? Ewwwww! Etc etc.

We have washing machines after all! :)

6. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
    Is there any truth in the rumour that Peter Sutcliffe's wife gave all his clothes to charity, because she liked the idea of people walking around in the Yorkshire Ripper's attire?*

*or maybe Private Eye said that, and that's why she sued them. In which case, delete this post!

escargot likes this.
  7. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

Haunted clothes?

escargot likes this.
  8. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Carbon Based Infestation

Only available in Medium

9. Tribble

Tribble Furry Idiot

10. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

There is a scene in The League of Gentlemen, where a fussy woman interrogates the staff of a charity shop about whether a man has died in the suit she is browsing. She will not rest until she finds one! :reap:

11. Tribble

Tribble Furry Idiot

Wasn't that Little Britain?

12. JamesWhitehead

Could be, though I did not watch many of those. :dunno:

13. Tribble

Tribble Furry Idiot

JamesWhitehead likes this.
  14. JamesWhitehead