The Strange Death of Netta Fornario

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by Naughty_Felid, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

I can't find anything about this on the MB.

Occasionally, we hear about a story that intrigues us to the point that we want to pass it on. The occult case of the Netta Fornario death in Iona, Scotland is just that kind of story. Although the details surrounding her death are unsubstantiated and cannot be verified due to lack of information, it makes for a fascinating story, nonetheless.

https://www.historicmysteries.com/netta-fornario/

[​IMG]

Enid Coleslaw, PeteS, Rosebud and 5 others like this.
  2. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

It says the doctor examining her couldn't tell how she died but isn't that a job for the police or a coroner? I think the cross cut into the turf was part of a ritual she was performing when her mystery assailant discovered her.
    There must have been some resentment towards her from some of the islanders. She was an independent woman for a start, a southerner travelling alone on a Scottish island. And she was into occult practices...

My theory is that a misogynistic local with deep-rooted Christian beliefs caught her in mid ceremony and killed her in a fit of rage. Being on an island meant that the local doctor had to perform multiple duties, including that of coroner and that he missed or deliberately concealed the actual cause of her death. For that, I would guess strangulation or bludgeoning.

^^ ^^
    Purely speculation of course!

EDIT: Or the doctor did it.

PeteS, Rosebud, Frideswide and 5 others like this.
  3. Naughty_Felid

Plankton Holmes you done it again! rushes off to grab Casebook...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    PeteS and David Plankton like this.
  4. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

5. Naughty_Felid

6. Old Master Q

Old Master Q Televisualist to the bewildered.

No Coroner in Scotland... They ceased to exist in 1800. One would have thought though that the Procurator Fiscal would still have records; apparently not!

David Plankton likes this.
  7. Carse

Carse Devoted Cultist

I have a book which features this case - "Scotland's Unsolved Mysteries" by Richard Wilson (though presumably not that Richard Wilson). He interviewed the son of the family that Fornario stayed with on Iona, who described how she behaved while she was there. The 'cross' cut into the ground was apparently the invention of a journalist from The Scotsman, though she had apparently dug a small shallow hole in the ground next to where her body lay, and the silver knife she was alleged to have had with her was just an ordinary dinner knife. He reckoned she was mentally ill and died of hypothermia rather than any sinister occult influence.

8. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM