The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Mainstream News Stories' started by MrRING, Jun 17, 2003.

1. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

If you want a combination of the cutesy with the sickening, check out The Garbage Pail Kids Movie. Anthony Newley's last film. What a way to go.

2. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Justified & Ancient

Just been announced that the great Chuck Berry has died
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39318602

3. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Rest In Peace Chuck.

Ermintruder likes this.
  4. Bigphoot2

5. Dinobot

Dinobot Justified & Ancient

When he released his last album a while ago, I (along with everyone else, I guess) thought he'd already died. Now he has for real...:(

Ermintruder likes this.
  6. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Didn't he have new material in the pipeline too? I wonder if he finished that? One of the creators of rock 'n' roll, bit of a dodgy geezer, but when you heard about the life he had maybe it wasn't that surprising. I hope we hear his classics as tribute and not My Ding-a-Ling (which was his biggest UK hit, for shame). RIP.

Just Little Richard and Jerry Lee left out of the major rock 'n' rollers now, is that correct?

Recycled1 likes this.
  7. Recycled1

Recycled1 Justified & Ancient

8. cpm82

cpm82 Junior Acolyte

I've had to correct so many people over the years who had previously thought that Chuck was dead.

Seemed immortal.

9. Yithian

Yithian Keeping The British End Up Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    I think that owing to the mysterious (semi-mystical) emergence of the blues in the first-half of the century, and the fact that many of those to achieve fame with blues or derived forms of rock and roll claimed lineage to still older and more shadowy musicians about whom we have little biographical material, greats like Chuck Berry 'feel' older than they really are/were.

Chuck, for instance, was heavily influenced by T-Bone Walker of whom Blind Lemon Jefferson was an older family friend--and now we're back into the mists of time.

10. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    One story I loved about Chuck Berry was how he would just roll into town with his guitar, perform with whatever local musicians were available, take his cash and roll out of town again. It takes a legendary sort of status to do that. :)

11. Bigphoot2

[​IMG]

And that's not ordinary billions, that's Sagan billyuns.

Tigerhawk, Ringo, Andy X and 4 others like this.
  12. Tribble

Tribble Furry Idiot

13. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

In the early 90's, NME magazine gave away a free booklet insert with rock star anecdotes. One of them was about Chuck Berry, he'd been booked into playing at a U.S. college somewhere so they provided a buffet for him before the gig, drinks, sandwiches, snacks etc .. a young student there was backstage, she offered to give chuck a blow job which he accepted .. so while he was being blown, another student burst into Chuck's dressing room to give him his "You're on in 5 minutes Mr Berry." to which chuck is said to have replied "Hold on kid, I haven't finished my sandwich yet." .. rock 'n roll .. R.I.P. Chuck ..

Vardoger, skinny and Bigphoot2 like this.
  14. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

15. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Unfortunately that attitude anyone could play his songs did a lot of damage to his reputation as a serious musician for a while, he got the reputation of being a hack who was only in it for the money. Took a long time for him to get the respect back, which thankfully he had at the time of his death (cameras in ladies' toilets notwithstanding).

16. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

In Cycle of the Werewolf, his illustrations are better than the story Stephen King dreamt up. A superb artist. RIP.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  17. Bigphoot2

I once saw a busker who was playing Johnny B. Goode on a kazoo. The things you see when you haven't got a gun...

Rosebud, Tigerhawk, Shady and 2 others like this.
  18. Anome

Anome Bibliomancer

http://www.hazinf.net/
    TWITTER:
    Anome
    Arguably, anyone could play his songs. They were in the main simple 12 bar blues tunes. The difference was what Chuck was doing with lead guitar, his singing, and, in the case of a live performance, what he did on stage.

It was always surprising to hear he was still touring, even a couple of years ago.

19. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Beloved of Ra

Obviously I've got a couple of buckets here to catch all my tears.

RT.com

Peripart likes this.
  20. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Good points ... Berry retained the more energetic aspects of the blues sensibility, but followed Bill Haley and the rockabillies in basically eliminating any minor chords. His tunes had 'punch', but were actually simple to play.

I consider Berry - along with Jerry Lee Lewis - as the ones who fused the lead singing role with the lead instrumental role and invested the latter with extravagant 'look-at-me' shenanigans. (Yes - Elvis did the latter bit, but he wasn't the lead instrumentalist.) To my mind this fusion represented the creation of an individualistic 'rock 'n roll star' motif that helped distinguish the new pop music form from its many predecessors.

21. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Chuck was a man who had it all - wrote & sang a lot of classics & big sellers over a long period of time, a wry & witty sharp lyrical style, more or less originated a genre appealing to young people even though he was somewhat older, had his own instantly recognisable guitar style which sounded simple but wasn't, was a showman & great performer etc etc. Always had a twinkle in his eye.

There can be few rock guitar players who don't owe something to Chuck.

22. Yithian

Yithian Keeping The British End Up Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Martin McGuiness has died. I somehow managed to miss the news that he had serious health problems.

Not my favourite person, but enmity ends at the grave as far as I am concerned.

Peripart likes this.
  23. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness dies aged 66

Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's former deputy first minister, has died aged 66.
    It is understood he had been suffering from a rare heart condition.

The former IRA leader turned peacemaker worked at the heart of the power-sharing government following the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.
    He became deputy first minister in 2007, standing alongside Democratic Unionist Party leaders Ian Paisley, Peter Robinson and Arlene Foster.

Mr McGuinness stood down from his post in January in protest against the DUP's handling of an energy scandal, in a move that triggered a snap election.

Martin McGuinness grew up in Derry's Bogside, radicalised, he said, by discrimination and murder on the streets of his city.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39185899

24. skinny

skinny Justified & Ancient

I often express a sadness on the death of a hero, but very rarely does my heart actually sink like it just did a moment ago.

RIP Martin.

ramonmercado likes this.
  25. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

He led the IRA. But he led the IRA into peace also. He kept things together through difficult times so that the Dissidents didn't get their hands on the IRA arsenal.

His journey brought him into partnership with Ian Paisley. Maybe the Chuckle Brothers are together again.

R.I.P.

Peripart likes this.
  26. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

27. BaronHardacre

BaronHardacre Abominable Snowman

TWITTER:
    Indolent_Knave
    I feel for the loved ones he left behind, but I'm afraid I can never mourn the loss of anyone who used terror, violence, and ultimately murder, to attain their goal, whether that's Martin McGuiness, or Islamic bombers.
    McGuiness was just better tailored than the latter.

Rosebud, Swifty and Coal like this.
  28. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Martin was born and raised in a city where there was a 2/3 Catholic majority but they were second class citizens. Due to gerrymandering Unionists had a 2.3 majority on the city council. This was just one of many discriminations.

When the Civil Rights movement sought "One Man, One Vote", fair housing access, basically UK Rights for UK Citizens they were beaten off the streets by the RUC. Loyalists launched Pogroms against Catholics.

The first RUC to die was killed by Loyalists who also launched a bombing campaign.

The IRA did not emerge from a vacuum.

29. Coal

Coal Gentleman, scholar, acrobat.

That's true as a civil rights issue the position of the Catholic community was astonishingly unfair. It was dumb and frankly wrong of successive governments to try to defend this inequality.

But murder is still murder, whatever the murderer's political affiliation.

escargot likes this.
  30. BaronHardacre

BaronHardacre Abominable Snowman

TWITTER:
    Indolent_Knave
    And you'll note I never defended, nor would, the actions of the British.
    My own great grandmother was of Irish Catholic stock, and she and her family faced horrendous discrimination and bigotry. But instead of lowering herself to murdering innocents she worked hard, and taught her children acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness.
    Your environment doesn't make you a monster, it just gives you an excuse to act like one.

Tigerhawk, CarlosTheDJ and escargot like this.