The March of Technology

Discussion in 'New Science' started by rynner2, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Cornwall lithium to power electric cars world revolution
    By Oli_Vergnault | Posted: July 11, 2017
    Volvo electric cars video: 2m 16s.

Cornwall could be on the verge of a precious metal revolution as the car industry shifts from petrol and diesel to electric engines.

The claim comes as the market for the wonder metal lithium, dubbed 'white petroleum,' is on the rise.
    Experts believe the precious metal, which is used in batteries, could replace fossil fuels in cars.
    Private company Cornish Lithium, founded by Camborne School of Mines graduate Jeremy Wrathall, has just announced it is to begin prospecting for the valuable metal.

The firm said an area amounting to a tenth of the size of Cornwall and centred between Camborne and Truro is at the centre of the exploration project to exploit the new wealth underground.
    Lithium, which is vital for rechargeable batteries in just about every device from phones to cars, could be extracted from the granite beneath Cornwall's landscape - making the duchy Europe's only source of the valuable material.

Steve Double, Conservative MP for St Austell and Newquay, said the news that some car makers have announced they will be switching their production from petrol and diesel engines to electric engines could herald a new mining golden age in Cornwall.

He said: "There will be a surge in battery production to cope with the demand from electric car sales and that's where the Cornish come in.
    "There is the prospect that if there are sufficient volumes of lithium then extraction could begin in earnest. It would mean many new, well-paid, high-skilled jobs and a further boost to our local economy."

It comes as Volvo said that from 2019 all cars it sells will be battery powered or hybrid.

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/cornwal...d-revolution/story-30433971-detail/story.html

2. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I hope there are enough di-lithium crystals to power the Starships at the new Spaceport.

rynner2 likes this.
  3. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

Researchers create a 'battery-free' mobile phone

Karissa Bell
    Mashable Tech•8 July 2017

[​IMG]
    View photos
    Your future phone may never need to be charged.

That's the exciting implication of new research out of the University of Washington, where researchers have created a mobile phone prototype that doesn't require a battery to operate.

The prototype itself is made of simple materials: capacitive touch buttons, a circuit board, and other "off the shelf" components. More impressive is that the team of scientists were able to create a custom base station to transmit the signal with such a small amount of power.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/researchers-create-apos-battery-free-192313805.html

4. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Ambient power from signals...hmmm. That has been done before, IIRC, and it creates a loading on the transmission system. That means that the phone broadcasters might have to increase the power.

Increased power might have environmental effects, although that would have to be proved.

rynner2 likes this.
  5. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

Inverse square law...

You'd have to send a lot of power and at what distance does that power level need to reach? What is safe at 5 miles might be dodgy at 4. As a harvesting technique for keeping a battery topped up, it might be useful, especially if you can you harvest broadband electromagnetic waves, charge-pump a cap and then dump the cap. periodically to small switched mode power IC.

Isn't it really just Tesla's free energy machine for the 21st century tho?

My gut feeling is that the power levels you need to transmit the carrier at to actually power a phone would be dangerous in some way. The grass would be black around the cell towers...

EnolaGaia and Mythopoeika like this.
  6. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Yep. Also, that little solar panel isn't going to do much, especially if the phone is kept in a pocket.

7. Coal

More to the point, it's not free power, it's just moving the generation around and losing power in the conversion process. And if it's so good, why do you need the photo-cell at all?

8. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

I'm sure there are ways to make induction power feasible. If you have innumerable on-demand induction loops embedded in the environment that only activate when a receiver is nearby, the amount of wasted power could be reduced to a minimum. These induction loops could be programmed to activate when they receive a signal from the customer's device, allowing the process to be costed and billed to the consumer. In a few decades I'd expect commercial induction loops will be just about everywhere, in the urban and domestic environments at least.

rynner2 likes this.
  9. Coal

I'm not convinced myself. The loops themselves are not loss-less and AC to DC conversion will struggle to break 90% efficiency I'd have thought. I think it's a niche technology for the forseeable.