The BBC & Television Licensing Propaganda

Discussion in 'Conspiracy: General' started by Justin_Anstey, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Gloucestrian

Gloucestrian Junior Acolyte

I actually got a TV licence a few months ago to watch a documentary on the iPlayer. So far only used it to watch just that one documentary - very expensive way to watch one program!

No. YouTube uses Adobe's Flash player or the HTML5 video technology (depending on which browser the user is using). The former is a proprietary technology developed originally by a company called Macromedia, the latter was developed as an extension to HTML, a license-free technology developed by the W3C (a group that develops internet standards), by the HTML5 working group "WHATWG". The streaming tech for Flash was developed by Adobe, various different technologies are used for HTML5 streaming video none of which as far as I am aware were developed by the BBC. It would be unlikely, these technologies have been developing very quickly in the past 5 years or so.

Old Master Q likes this.
  2. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

This tactic seems to be annual now; this year, the letter arrived mid-December and gave me until 29th December.

It will be a very festive bum-wipe! :p

3. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Thanks for the info!

Gloucestrian likes this.
  4. XEPER_

XEPER_ Abominable Snowman

It's kicking my ass totally. I love it! Haven't even put on one of the new episodes of Vikings yet, can't stop watching Man in High Castle any chance I get. :)

5. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I may watch it this week, if I find nothing better to do.

6. JamesWhitehead

7. gerhard1

gerhard1 Abominable Snowman

I was just on youtube and there are a fair number of videos there that talk about TV licences. What the devil is this all about?

Ermintruder likes this.
  8. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Here in the land of “Everything Not Compulsory ls Forbidden”, after you’ve paid for your telly you have to pay another £147 in order to watch it.

Most of this goes to the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation in order to make programmes about Hitler and Global Warming.

Obvious, really.

maximus otter

9. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Shady likes this.
  10. Ermintruder

Every year. Or you are locked-up, in the Tower of London

Shady likes this.
  11. gerhard1

Nope; entirely serious. Don't forget, I'm an American.

Having perused the linked wiki article, all I can say is WOW!!!! I thought the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation, to use Mr Otter's amusing name for it, was tax-funded.

Rosebud and Ermintruder like this.
  12. JamesWhitehead

13. gerhard1

Did a search but didn't find it. Sorry about that.

ramonmercado likes this.
  14. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    It's partly funded by the licence, partly by EU bribes grants and partly by the sale of popular series to other channels abroad.

maximus otter likes this.
  15. Iris

Iris Justified & Ancient

We used to have it here in Australia too. Vans with antennas used to patrol to find those without licenses who were fined.
    Luckily it was rescinded
    after awhile. Now they just put on lousy old repeat programs to try and make you use a paid channel.

16. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bug Bunny

I just about remember the detector vans in the UK. Was there ever a more scientific basis to them other than kiddology?

17. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Dunno, but calling your wifi 'TV Detector Vehicle' is fun.

18. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

That's a pretty tired old trope. Bolshevik? - Blue Planet, Strictly, Wimbledon, Detectorists, Eurovision, Sherlock, Dr Who, & so on. Not to mention the various radio stations. Where are you detecting this Bolshevism? Maybe it's the One Show..

Peripart and Ermintruder like this.
  19. Dr_Baltar

Dr_Baltar Left Foot of God

David Attenborough and Mackenzie Crook are cultural marxists.

Obvious, really?

hunck likes this.
  20. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

When the right wing maniacs believe you're a left wing maniac and the left wing maniacs believe you're a right wing maniac, you must be doing something right. See also: how the Fortean Times is regarded by skeptics and woos.

21. Andy X

Andy X Portent

How is the magazine regarded do you think? I really don't know, except that, on a personal note, some people think I'm a mug for buying it as I've obviously fallen for believing any claim made by a UFO botherer or psychic and must 'believe in it' - whatever 'it' is.

I wish WH.Smith wouldn't sometimes place it with the bullshit astrology mags and National Enquirer-type titles.

Peripart likes this.
  22. maximus otter

"Former political editor Andrew Marr said the BBC is "a publicly-funded urban organisation with an abnormally large proportion of younger people, of people in ethnic minorities and almost certainly of gay people, compared with the population at large". All this, he said, "creates an innate liberal bias inside the BBC"."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6764779.stm

"It's a bit like walking into a Sunday meeting of the Flat Earth Society," said the Daily Telegraph's Jeff Randall about his time as the BBC's business editor.

"As they discuss great issues of the day, they discuss them from the point of view that the earth is flat.

"If someone says, 'No, no, no, the earth is round!', they think this person is an extremist. That's what it's like for someone with my right-of-centre views working inside the BBC."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6764779.stm

"At the core of the BBC, in its very DNA, is a way of thinking that is firmly of the Left.

By far the most popular and widely read newspapers at the BBC are The Guardian and The Independent. Producers refer to them routinely for the line to take on running stories, and for inspiration on which items to cover. In the later stages of my career, I lost count of the number of times I asked a producer for a brief on a story, only to be handed a copy of The Guardian and told ‘it’s all in there’."

Peter Sissons, former BBC news anchor.

"[Comedian David] Baddiel tells RadioTimes.com that Auntie should admit that “there is generally a centre-left, liberal bias” to its output. And it shouldn’t apologise for it.

“People who go into the media, the people who go into the BBC, are, in general, of that kind of centre-left stamp,” he says.

“I think it might even be a good thing that the BBC admitted it was a bit centre-left and had the odd programme like Woman’s Hour – if it had Right Wing Hour,” he said.

“That is something of a joke of course…"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...ight-wing-hour-to-radio-4-says-david-baddiel/

"Jane Garvey: I do remember I walked back in - we were broadcasting then from Broadcasting House in the centre of London, all very upmarket in those days - and the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. [Hearty laugh from Peter Allen] I'll always remember that. Er... not that the BBC were celebrating in any way, shape or form…

Peter Allen: No no no, not at all..."

Jane Garvey, current presenter of Radio 4's Women's Hour, reminiscing about the morning after Blair's election.

Etc. ad nauseam.

maximus otter

Bullseye likes this.
  23. Yossarian

Yossarian Junior Acolyte

But on the other hand, there's plenty of studies to show that their news coverage is pro-Tory more often than not, and they've consistently given an undeserved platform to Nigel Farage, which I think is a more convincing argument for them having a centre-right bias than "they have a lot of gays and ethnic minorities".

Like GNC said, when you have people on the right accusing you of left-wing bias, and people on the left accusing you of right-wing bias, you're probably getting things about right.

24. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

True enough, as GNC put it:

When the right wing maniacs* believe you're a left wing maniac and the left wing maniacs** believe you're a right wing maniac, you must be doing something right.

* Max.

** Me.

25. Ermintruder

Only on the basis of detecting the stray carrier frequency generated by the superhetrodyne video/audio receiver front-ends, which were emitted at very low levels via the external household antennas (absolutely minute field-strengths, especially at Band 4/5 ie 470-850MHz), and also by direct resolution of the LF spill from the line time-base stages (15.6kHz).

This was already made difficult by the international move away from low/mid VHF, up to the frequencies referenced above (the physics is much-more challenging). It also explains why the characteristic shape of TV Detector Vans changed, as the wavelengths decreased. The classic large roof-mounted boom/rotatable antenna (redolent of the WW2 Abwehr spy-chaser vans) became obsolete.

Prosecutions in the classic era could include spectrum analyser plot-prints that were admissable as evidence of culprits receiving specific channels at registered times/dates, so as to constitute a substantive case in court.

But like with any technical aid to prosecution.....it's hard to beat a good-old open confession :btime:

Krepostnoi likes this.
  26. Andy X

Andy X Portent

That's what I'd heard; i.e. that in theory it was RF noise from a powered-on receiver, and the line sync gubbins in particular, that could be detected, but (as I suspect given the demographic here Krepostnoi's possibly thinking of the 1970's / 80's) by 'classic era' are we talking about the PAL days? (you mentioned that these methods are trickier when dealing with UHF broadcasts). See, I have a vague memory of being told that the vans were only effective with the extant 405 line (VHF) system and couldn't catch owners of funky new Trinitrons and the like :)

There were contrary rumours in support of the vans, such as claims that they could reconstruct a video waveform from intermediate frequencies well enough to capture a luminance-only image of what was on the screen in the criminal's living room! Eeek!

I don't mind admitting that I went without a license for several years without attracting attention. When I moved into a flat in a building without a working TV aerial (but many, many decorative ones) the landlord's brother offered to provide me with a nice satellite system. It turned out the cheeky fuckers owned a satellite installation business - what a coincidence!

Anyway, as I was only staying for six months or so I did without telly and read books and pottered about on the internet - including FTMB - instead. It wasn't long before I had a visit from a TVL 'goon', who actually was a pleasant late middle-aged gentleman who seemed a bit embarrassed to be doing the job. It took five minutes to demonstrate the lack of broadcast signal from the aerial socket and off he went with a tick on his clipboard (that's not slang for me punching him in the face - this was before YouTube vigilante campaigns). Anyway, it seemed clear that I'd been visited because there was no record of a current licence-holder at the address. Why my previous place had slipped under the radar is anyone's guess. At any rate it was nowt to do with detector vans as far as I could deduce.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Swifty and Ermintruder like this.
  27. Shady

Shady WHOOOOOOO ARE YOU?

Yes mine was a good visit as well, but now i just get the email to ask if my position has changed regarding the licence, I had one about a month ago, couldn't fill it in so I phoned it in, I get them every two years

28. Ermintruder

Oh yes
    More effective with the extinct Band I / Band III services, yes
    Technically, yes, quite possible. This was especially the case in court with a luma capture from the colour bar elements from the correct line-slice taken from a broadcast reception of Test Card F (that little girl and her fellow conspirators were a useful source of static imagery for prosecutions of this source...as was Ceefax/Teletext data, with it's integrated date/time stamp, but I'm saying too much :buck: sorry).

You can see the colour bar at the start of the raster scan (we'll pretend it's the top) immediately following the vertical blanking interval (in fact, it produced a grayscale 'staircase waveform' that was very useful as an inarguable signature of specific programme content reception)

[​IMG]
    As a related aside- for most (thinks...all) analogue TV networks, colour tv never really existed. It was an illusion, always just black+white with colourising shapes underneath (ie the opposite of computer display systems). I would doubt that a technical detection method could genuinely confirm the reception of colour tv, though in principle, the chroma subcarrier burst at 4.4MHz might've been reverse-resolvable (I must confirm that, whilst there are still living memories about, that will definitively know). I doubt if that evidence alone would convince a hanging jury.

I do know that watching recorded broadcast tv content on a black&white television required (indeed, requires) payment of the full colour annual fee. And that watching television content on a faulty colour tv that could only receive in monochrome (or, had been permanently-modified to so do) only incurred a legal obligation to hold a black&white licence fee.

I would know how to do this sort of thing in minute detail (don't ask why....it's just another facet of one of my far-too-many past professional lives).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  29. maximus otter

1. It would be interesting to see a couple of those. Would you be good enough to provide links?

2. He was the leader of a significant UK political party. Even the BBC couldn’t ignore him. Cf. Caroline Lucas of the Watermelons.

maximus otter

30. Dr_Baltar

Dr_Baltar Left Foot of God

The BBC certainly haven't ignored him. He holds the joint record for appearances on Question Time. Not bad for a party that's only ever won one seat in a General Election.