The Atlantis Thread

Discussion in 'Earth Mysteries: The Land' started by whoisquilty, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Possibly.

2. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

3. Tribble

Tribble Furry Idiot

ramonmercado likes this.
  4. blessmycottonsocks

5. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    It's in more or less the right location.

6. blessmycottonsocks

This medieval map shows (Hy) Brasil as slightly South of Rockall 's location, but certainly close enough to be considered the same small island given the inaccuracies of early maritime charts. It's way too far North to be confused with the Atlantean land mass (i.e. The Azores plateau).

PSX_20181007_154404.jpg

7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Colavito vents spleen on the latest Atlantis claims.

Dissecting This Past Weekend's Faulty Claims about Ancient History
    10/2/2018

This past weekend saw a number of depressingly awful stories about ancient history. The most prominent one revolved around a newspaper report about a man’s claim to have discovered Atlantis yet again. The Daily Mail published the report on Sept. 29 and was picked up by the Russian propaganda site Sputnik a few hours later and spread around the world. Heretofore largely unknown Ancient Architects blogger Matt Sibson alleges in an interview and accompanying video essay that Atlantis was actually the phantom island of Frisland seen on a number of old maps. If that name sounds familiar… well, it connects to another old fringe history chestnut.

Sibson claims that the fictitious island had to have been real, even though it does not actually exist, and he uses Irish legends associated with the homeland of the ancient Tuatha Dé Danann, the ancient gods. “It was shown in so many maps in the 16th and 17th century and then it disappeared – it can't be a mistake,” he told the Daily Mail. He claims that the island was copied from Ice Age maps drawn by a lost civilization, and that it represents a portion of the Atlantis basin off the coast of what is now Ireland that was above water during the Ice Age. His evidence for this is less than compelling: “Some people do point out that there was 2km of ice there, but there is a gap of more than a thousand years where the ice had melted between 14,700 BC and 12,900 BC. Plato also talked about elephants on Atlantis, but I think he may have been referring to woolly mammoths.”

I will give him this: If he were better-read, he might have been able to make a case for this north Atlantic island by tying it to Ogygia, the legendary island where (among other things) Kronos (Saturn) was supposed kept prisoner. As Plutarch reported (De Defectu Oraculorum 18 and De Faciae 27), this island was located in the North Atlantic and was known to the Celts. In the Odyssey, Homer said it was the home of Calypso, a daughter of Atlas, and thus could be considered an island of Atlantis, since “Atlantis” was also a title of Calypso, meaning “Daughter of Atlas.” But Sibson isn’t terribly good at his own subject, and instead he focuses on the silly argument that ancient Irish people liked circles, and Plato said Atlantis was circular in shape—i.e., looks like, therefore is. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/dissecting-this-past-weekends-faulty-claims-about-ancient-history

Jim and Coal like this.
  8. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Abominable Snowman

I've become quite convinced that Atlantis was located in what is now the Donaña National Park (Southern Spain).

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/more-sign...ious-civilisation-found-spanish-marsh-1603470

I don't see why it can't be both - an actual civilization and a story used by Plato as a warning.