Swastikas On Old British Postcards

Discussion in 'Notes & Queries' started by Zeke Newbold, Jul 22, 2015.

1. McAvennie

McAvennie Justified & Ancient

The curtains behind the stage for the 2002 World Cup Korea/Japan final draw had a very obvious swastika pattern as did a quickly scrapped Fiorentina away shirt in the early 90s.

When I last worked in the UK there was a nice suburban house set back off the road near my office which one day I noticed had a small swastika above the front door. I assumed it was a family with Far East connections rather than a family with far right connections.

2. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

LOL An Excellent point. Figure Hitler's ghost is still kicking himself.

3. Yithian

Yithian Keeping The British End Up Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    [​IMG]

I know the point about East Asian swastikas has been made several times, but I still did a double take when I found this neatly tucked into my front door today.

Min Bannister and Swifty like this.
  4. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

What is that, a 'party' invitation ;) (I know reverse/original swastikas aren't Nazi) ..

Yithian likes this.
  5. Yithian

It's an advertisement for a fortune teller.

Swifty likes this.
  6. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Well he/she got your attention.

7. Mungoman

Mungoman Mostly harmless...

York Cathedral has them tiled into the floor.

8. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Keep in mind that before the little dictator wrecked the symbol it was highly respected. Most people just don't realize the way it faces is significant. I think I said before that my wife's mother made her a bedspread designed with the symbol for girl scouts. Suppose to be very lucky. I guess Hitler turning a good luck symbol backwards would indicate bad luck. Served him right. It is a shame the symbol is so hated today. Turned properly it is NOT a hate symbol. But people are people, I guess.

9. Yithian

Quite: I kept the card as it's a pretty little thing.

Vaguely Fortean point: the central line of text on the card alludes to a superstition that when a fresh concern enters your mind, a fresh adviser will offer thr best advice. Great when touting for new clients; terrible for customer retention!

10. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

I never use to put any faith in fortune telling. My religion frowns on the practice
    They don't say it can't be done, just that it shouldn't be done. My parents told me that fortune tellers were just really good at reading "human nature" and would pick up cues from gestures and mannerisms that the client showed. So, when I discovered that my wife's mother was very good at reading cards I had to put her to the test. She was so correct it was scary. She predicted things in my immediate future that she could not possibly have known beforeforehand. Things that I had no knowledge of. Events that were totally out of her context and unknown to me at the time. When she told me of these events, they made no sense to me until they happened. My wife can also read cards, but quit several years ago because too many people were thinking she made the events happen in some way. For example she told one young lady that she would be pregnant in the following year. She thought that was funny as she didn't even have a boyfriend and was a virgin. It happened. So I kinda agree with the church. A true fortune teller can predict the future but they shouldn't. And we all know there are a lot of charlatans out there. A true fortune teller does NOT charge for their services.

11. gerhard1

gerhard1 Ephemeral Spectre

Hey Brig; how you been? Been a while.

12. Brig

Brig Abominable Snowman

Between my wife and I we have kept the local hospital quite profitable. But I have been posting. Just not much on swastikas. Doctor says I'm prone to sudden death. I said, What's the downside to that?" At my age that would far preferable to laying comatose in a hospital bed or rest home. Perhaps I sound morbid by I had to watch my mother die slowly and my Dad fade away. Rather not put my few remaining relatives through that. I've been posting along on hometown ghosts and Cryptids (Tas Wolf).

Mungoman and balding13 like this.