Strange Things Happen At Sea

Discussion in 'General Forteana' started by RaM, Aug 22, 2017.

1. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

A report from a Fleetwood trawler from 1957 60 years ago.

Strange Happenings
    Strange things happen at sea and perhaps one of the strangest ever was reported in 1957 by the skipper of Ella Hewett.

While on passage to Iceland – off Scotland – the white bridge of the 600-ton trawler turned pink.

Skipper Fred Sutton reported his crew had seen a blinding flash in the sky during the night.

At the same time from other coastal areas reports were made of a huge flaming object flashing across the sky and vanishing in an explosion over the Isle of Man.

Many theories were put forward – but the mystery remained.

2. notdej

notdej Junior Acolyte

most theories were a comet i bet- where's the mystery?

3. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

They thought it a mystery in 1957 of course now we think we know everything or at least think we do.

4. notdej

notdej Junior Acolyte

if you feel it is a mystery then enjoy

5. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

This 2009 account:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/three-ufos-3458199?service=responsive

... doesn't treat the Ella Hewett Bridge's color change as a mystery at all:

Pictures of the Ella Hewett (and a summary of its 1962 demise ... ) can be found at:

http://www.fleetwood-trawlers.info/index.php/category/steamers-picture/page/57/

6. EnolaGaia

This newspaper account puts a whole different spin on the story, because it claims the bridge's color changed twice ...

One interpretation is that the 'pink' color reflected (pun intended ... ) the white bridge's appearance in the light emitted from the aerial explosion, and nothing more permanent ...

The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky, Sunday, December 1, 1957, Page 3.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/107774451/

EDIT to add: The following California newspaper article also ran the white-red-white version of the story on the same day ...

Independent Press-Telegram, Long Beach, California, Sunday, December 1, 1957, Page 28.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/18200780/

JamesWhitehead and Naughty_Felid like this.
  7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Maybe Rynner served on board the Ella Hewett.

8. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Well stranger things have happened at sea,
    the stuff they painted trawlers with in the 50s was pretty good stuff
    it did not usually change color suddenly just by having a light flash at it,
    and for it to change back if it did seems strange, at least to me, I wounder
    if the paint did not change but the crews eyes were affected.

EnolaGaia likes this.
  9. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

Do you know what a comet is?

AlchoPwn and Austin Popper like this.
  10. notdej

notdej Junior Acolyte

yeah ok meteor then!!

Basically nothing intelligently controlled imo going by what I've read...

Do you have any other clever things to say? I'm all ears........

AlchoPwn likes this.
  11. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

12. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Friend of mine rang the other day, he and his wife had just come back from
    a cruse, one early morning about 2:30 they were on deck the the wife says
    what is that, he described it as 3 ropes going from the top of the bridge
    straight up parallel to each other and disappearing up into the sky, he had
    no idea of what it could be and the ship was miles from anywhere, must ask
    if he got any pics but he never mentioned any.

Ermintruder and Yithian like this.
  13. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    3 ropes disappearing up into the sky? Ropes? And they couldn't see the far ends?

14. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Woah, that reminds me of a weird story I read ages ago about strange "ropes" appearing in the sky, not attached to anything. This would be... 1970s maybe? Sorry this is vague, but has anyone heard of that, could it be a natural phenomenon?

Ermintruder likes this.
  15. Mythopoeika

16. EnolaGaia

17. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

escargot likes this.
  18. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Next time we talk I will ask more about it, the ropes just looked like they were connected
    to the ship and something above but there was nothing above and the other end just dissapeard
    out of sight straight up, or that is how I understood it, I to remember something like it but
    being reported on tv I think but it's a wile ago. I thought they were seeing some sort of
    strange electrical discharge, big ships use satellite communications and at the time the aurora
    was active so maybe something to do with that, strange what ever it was.
    When I say ropes that is what they looked like what they actually were is a misery.

Another thing I thought about, sometime under just the right conditions if you look
    at a jet leaving contrails you also see a traile projected from the front of the aircraft
    this I think is some sort of shadow effect but I did wounder if this is something similer
    being projected from say ariels on the ship.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Ermintruder and escargot like this.
  19. Min Bannister

I wondered if it might be some sort of effect from being somewhere dark but with bright light sources, just as you would have on a ship. There must be long straight bits, railings etc that could cause shadows as you describe.

RaM and escargot like this.
  20. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

That's a highly technical description there.
    How good to have a genuinely knowledgeable seafarer on board at last! :D

21. Min Bannister

I am glad to be able to contribute my vast intellectuality to the board. :cool:

22. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

*salutes, dances Hornpipe*

Min Bannister and ramonmercado like this.
  23. Mythopoeika

I found this pic:
    [​IMG]
    https://sweeneyseas.com/2012/07/05/st-elmos-fire/

NumberNine and Min Bannister like this.
  24. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

I bet that's what they saw I will send it to them and see what they think.

25. Jayceedove

Jayceedove Devoted Cultist

www.ozfactorbooks.com
    I wrote about the Ella Hewett case in my book about the mysteries of the Isle of Man a few years ago.

Supernatural Isle of Man (Hale, 2003 - Recently republished as a more illustrated paperback for the island tourist industry)

You might be interested to know the vessel was wrecked on 1962 in a 'suspicious' accident when it struck the wreck of the HMS Drake. The investigation report is accessible on line.

Superficially this sighting seems to be a fireball meteor given the large range over which it was seen and this also infers that it would have been miles high in the atmosphere where it seems unlikely to have been able to cause physical effects on the boat. Though this was denied at the time. They might have been denying that it was Sputnik burning up - which was an early speculation (it wasn't).

Some very interesting UFO related things went on in November 1957 of which this is one. The Levelland, Texas multiple car stops and the Cynthia Appleton case in Birmingham and simultaneous UFO sightings at the site of the White Sands nuclear site in the US and the site of the latest British test at Maralinga in Australia - witnessed by RAF personnel clearing the site.

I have just been writing about this for my next FT column.

Some elements of the Ella Hewett crew testimony of how it illuminated the deck and exploded are interesting. The object was seen from people on the island too.

There was a not dissimilar incident on 1 September 1978 witnessed by a farmer on Galloway - so not far away across the Irish Sea. His cows stopped giving milk after the experience and his hair alleged turned colour overnight.

So whilst most likely it was a fireball it is still pretty interesting.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  26. NumberNine

NumberNine Junior Acolyte

Is this a different incident on the same date?

SEPTEMBER 1, 1978, LLANERCHYMEDD, ANGLESEY, U-K., PAT OWEN:
    Brief summary of the event and follow-up:
    A story from fragmentary sources indicates that in September 1978, there were several UFO sighting reports in the north of Wales, U-K.

That would have begun on September 1 in the night. Farmer John Roberts hunted rabbits, when at approximately 8 p.m. he suddenly saw a shining and bright white light slowly going down from the sky near the village of Llanerchymedd, Anglesey. It is said he saw that villagers looked towards a bumpy field behind new residences. Others saw a large silver sphere above a field, or this field.

Approximately ten minutes later, Mrs. Pat Owen, in her bedroom with her 2-year-old daughter Adelle, reportedly saw a light, or this light. She was looking by the window and also saw three men walking through the field.

She said they wore silver gray outfits with a kind of hat on their heads, attached to the outfits. They were all well more than six feet tall. She saw only their backs.

She saw that the cows were terrified because of these men, they fled.

Frightened, she ran to the village to find her husband.

https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/ce3/1978-09-01-uk-llanerchymedd.htm

27. Coal

Coal Polymath Renaissance Man

Very busy airfield, RAF Valley. Not 1000 miles from Wylfa power station either.

JamesWhitehead likes this.
  28. Ibis

Ibis Life is like a box of paints.

Sounds like too many cocktails to me. You know what those cruises can be like! :wink2:

29. Ibis

Ibis Life is like a box of paints.

All ears? In that case, I would like to humbly suggest this avatar for you: sand kitten.jpg

Junopsis and Mythopoeika like this.
  30. Jayceedove

Jayceedove Devoted Cultist

www.ozfactorbooks.com
    The Llanerchymedd case was well investigated and reported in FSR. There were some doubts about aspects of it. And some links with an exercise from Valley were found.

Or at least the RAF were in the fields involved wandering around in the days afterward. But the local police called out to the sightings on the night said they were not notified in advance of an RAF exercise as they usually were.

The case from Gallaway is different - and in Scotland, of course, not Wales.

But it was on the same day and was not the only other incident that same date of note either.

The incident I refer to involved a 62 year old dairy cattle man at Carrochtrie Farm, Drummore. At 4.30 am.

He said that two disks came over and back from the sea making a whirring noise. The cattle stampeded through the byre and refused to give milk for several days afterward. He also claimed that his hair turned white over that same period of days.

It is worth noting (as I did in my report) that there was an RAF base very near here - too - West Freugh. The cows apparently never reacted to the jets that passed over them regularly.

But the link with proximity to RAF bases for both these cases on the same date lead to us inevitably considering some connection with potential military exercises at that time.

Though involving what is not clear. Or how the reported side effects in both places will be explained.

Even more interesting (case I described in Northern UFO News at the time, issue 53 after he described it to me) the well known Fortean researcher Paul Screeton was staying that very same night in a caravan at Berwick on Tweed with his wife and kids. They saw a yellowish oval pass over a flock of sheep nearby that caused them to become 'extremely disturbed'.

And - guess what - there was an RAF base near them there too.

So - yes - RAF exercises are involved here somehow you would think.

But three animal disturbance cases on one day in Wales, Scotland and England is interesting.

EnolaGaia likes this.