Stonehenge

Discussion in 'Earth Mysteries: The Land' started by rynner2, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Tribble

Tribble Furry Idiot

They brought their happy brownies and cigarettes with them. Turned it into Stonedhenge.

2. PeteByrdie

PeteByrdie Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide

TWITTER:
    PeteByrdie
    I've just past Stonehenge! :yay: I know it's no big deal, but I've never actually seen it before. It didn't look as big as I expected until I realised those little things I could see around it were people.:)

Ermintruder, RaM, titch and 1 other person like this.
  3. titch

titch Justified & Ancient

i was there today!! last time i was there i was in my late teens, now after all these years the stones are still there unchanged, whereas i have gained a waistline and lost hair.

There is no carpark near it now, you can get a bus all the way from the visitor center, a bus half the way then a walk or walk all the way, i walked all the way, passed burial mounds and a cursus, thankfully a sign panel showed were the cursus was otherwise i wouldn't have noticed it.

When i was there as a teen i was a bit underwhelmed, the stones seemed small, i wanted to get in and touch them, but now i am middle aged i appreciated it a lot more, despite being soaked to the bone and not getting dry till i got back to london it was well worth the trip.

facebookburialmounds.jpg

Attached Files:

skinny, PeteByrdie, Mungoman and 6 others like this.
  4. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Fantastic! I'm jealous and so is Techy. :worship:

titch likes this.
  5. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Stonehenge was an early Tetris ..

tetrishenge.gif

skinny, Frideswide, Sprite and 4 others like this.
  6. CuriousIdent

CuriousIdent Not yet SO old Great Old One

Visited last Autumn for the first time. I've no idea what it was intended as, or for, but I am definitely certain this isn't just a random assembling of stones. So many theories for the site, I refuse to think it's accident or coincidence. :)

I would have liked to get very slightly closer to it than you are now allowed, but still there must be a few worn in butt shaped impressions on those stones from visitors across the years.

7. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Thanks for my new desktop. Hope you don't mind.

8. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

The last time I was there, it was still fenced off and heavily guarded. I'd love to go back now.

9. titch

Not at all! I will get my people to get in touch with yours to arrange a suitable Fee.
    It's still fenced Off, but you can get a good look, or you can pay to go inside early morning. Or go during the summer solstice and dance with the hippy women.

It is well worth a visit even though you cannot touch the stones, maybe a winter visit to avoid the crowd would be best, and walk the entire way to see the barrows and cursus

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Swifty and skinny like this.
  10. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Ah, I though the fences were down ... I visited one of the barrows the last time I was there and walked about inside a corn circle ... I remember regretting not taking some of the corn to make alien looking corn dollies.

titch and Merle like this.
  11. CuriousIdent

While you cannot get to touch the stones, part of the path around the site gets you within a couple of meters of them. It's definitely worth visiting.

titch likes this.
  12. titch

All the barrows where out of bounds when I was there to prevent erosion, understandable but sad

13. lordmongrove

lordmongrove Justified & Ancient

www.cfz.org.uk
    Swifty, Mungoman and Yithian like this.
  14. Yithian

Yithian Intergalactic Space Crusader Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    He moves a barn single-handed!

15. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Has this man re-discovered Leedskalnin's engineering techniques?

That video was filmed with a potato.

16. geepee

geepee Fresh Blood

I've just returned from a holiday in Brittany. You are aware that the alignments in and around Carnac make Stonehenge look like a sandcastle? Four kilometres long. Dozens of dolmens, menhirs in every wooded area. Perhaps the builders of the trilithons in Wiltshire took a holiday and never came back?

EnolaGaia likes this.
  17. titch

i dunno about a sandcastle, 3 ton stones moved from wales, 30+ton stones dragged 20 odd miles by gangs of 200 people, then set up in line with the summer n winter solstice, i find it vastly impressive.

PeteByrdie, Mungoman and Mythopoeika like this.
  18. Mythopoeika

It IS impressive. Especially considering the landscape and the absence of nice flat roads, etc.

Mungoman likes this.
  19. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Yeah but Carnac has more stones. And it's just better.

20. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Come on, dude. Carnac's like a 3yo's crayon drawing next to Stonehenge.
    [​IMG]
    It isn't without its charm but it's lines of rocks and burial structures.

Stonehenge is a composition of layered magnificence, as is Newgrange.
    [​IMG]
    No comparison.

Mungoman and titch like this.
  21. pandacracker

pandacracker Devoted Cultist

A friend and I went last year to try out the all new Stonehenge experience. We started off in the museum which is interesting and has a small section showing how Stonehenge has worked it's way into our culture and psyche over the years. There was also some sort of, appropriately dressed, Pagan/Wiccan person talking to an American/Canadian tourist about earth energies and somesuch. I tried to evesdrop as I looked at the exhibits but they were talking too quietly. Oh, and outside a reconstruction of huts with neolithic bits and bobs and very chatty volunteer guides.

There was a series of short audio guides you can put on your smartphone which my mate did and you can play when you get to the appropriate section of the site. We walked the length of the Cursus, joined up with the ceremonial way and approached the stones that way. If memory serves, the final part of the ceremonial way is up a slope that is thought to have been the remnants of an old water course. It points directly at the heel stone, one hypothesis being that the heel stone was there all the time and not dragged to it's position by ancient man, it's surface hasn't been worked either.

I like the idea that there was some sort of natural phenomena already in situ that spoke to the ancients and they began to elaborate on it.

We got the bus back, had a look around the shop (not impressed with the choice of fridge magnets!) overheard another North American gushing to the cashier how her dream was to see Stonehenge for real and now she has, got in the car and went for a beer.

£17.50 each. Bit steep but it was good to be able to wander around the larger site and get a better idea of how much there is.

titch, JamesWhitehead and EnolaGaia like this.
  22. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

“There are amazing photos from societies in Indonesia and parts of India within the last 100 years or so of people practising stone moving and raising. They show people in ceremonial dress, amazing feasts happening, hundreds of people coming together and having a good time.

“As soon as you abandon modern preconceptions that assume neolithic people would have sought the most efficient way of building Stonehenge, questions like why the bluestones were brought from so far away – the Preseli Hills of south Wales – don’t seem quite so perplexing.”

Stonehenge as a ritual site of social unification. :cool:

CuriousIdent and skinny like this.
  23. Mythopoeika

I keep saying this - it was a meeting place of all the tribes and kingdoms!
    Neutral ground where they could all meet and cast aside old aggressions.

24. pandacracker

pandacracker Devoted Cultist

I am very attracted to the hypothesis that the process of building was as/more important than the finished construction. I have read that it is thought that the Heel Stone was always in situ and that a possible dried water course coincidently pointed up a slope to it (part of the processional way which you can walk and see the effect for yourself) so a whole project of building and digging started around something that was possibly already a special place and used ceremonially before any construction started.

Frideswide likes this.
  25. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

I think I've mentioned this already in this thread but I'm a fan of one cartoonist's theory .. a three drawings strip .. the first sketch shows cavemen busying themselves with erecting stonehenge, the second sketch shows a caveman wearing a tie and a hard hat with a clipboard talking to caveman B, the third sketch shows caveman B saying to the other caveman "Sorry lads .. you've all been laid off." ..

Frideswide and GingerTabby like this.
  26. Yithian

Yithian Intergalactic Space Crusader Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    An extra detail on a story I already knew.

qR3kncb.jpg

27. CuriousIdent

Brilliant. :)

28. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

Here's the latest addition to the debate over where certain Stonehenge stones originated ...

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/63003-sloppy-stonehenge-study.html

ABSTRACT of the Cited Researchers' Paper in Antiquity: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ancing-study/CAD5AD26468F0FF5433BA78B9FECF1FC

oldrover likes this.
  29. CuriousIdent

This is first I've heard of an ancient "superhighway". I'm a little skeptical of that, in as much as the name implies a truly organised and understood road having been intentionally built (and used) of which no evidence whatsoever survived into other eras of documentation. The note of no peer-reviewed confirmation of this feels a bit of a red flag, too.

I'm not saying that I believe the ferrying of stones by sea is a given, either. But I have reservations. :)

Peripart, Mungoman and Enid Coleslaw like this.
  30. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

Some initial illumination has been obtained on the other side of Stonehenge mysteries - the people who built and used it ...
    FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45046354

CuriousIdent likes this.