Shadows and hands

Discussion in 'It Happened to Me!' started by Mouldy13, Feb 27, 2015.

1. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

What a lovely looking house. Like something out of Camberwick Green.

Maviself, Recycled1 and Mouldy13 like this.
  2. Mouldy13

Mouldy13 Yeti

Thanks, but when the wind and rain are lashing down it can be pretty bleak, its not called Cold Edge Road for nothing!!

Recycled1 likes this.
  3. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Ah, right, more picturesque than functional! Picturesque counts for something, though, right?!

Mouldy13 likes this.
  4. Mouldy13

Mouldy13 Yeti

Its pretty functional, the walls are easily 2 feet thick

5. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Perfect for a stone tape, perhaps? If you believe in that kind of thing, that is.

Recycled1, chicorea and Mouldy13 like this.
  6. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Very interesting, Mouldy. Please keep us updated. I'll be especially curious to know if you or any of your family see the hands again.

I've mentioned this on the forum before, how a relative grew up in a house where a ghostly hand would manifest on occasion. Just one hand and arm, nothing else, but it was very frightening. It's intriguing why some ghosts (if that's indeed what it is) might only appear in bits and pieces.

7. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Nice house! I bet there's a lot of history in those walls.

8. Yithian

Yithian Keeping The British End Up Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Seconded.

The reason I mentioned subterranean activity and potential sources of low frequency is that some cases of repeated 'corner of the eye' hallucinations have been found to have been caused by small vibrations of the eyeball--the most famous one that I half recall was the result of a faulty fan in a science lab.

...although I'd obviously prefer something otherworldly (and non-murderous).

chicorea, Mouldy13 and Mystereaux1 like this.
  9. Mouldy13

Mouldy13 Yeti

discussing this with my wife last night when she lets drop "oh yeah, I see a little black dog in the kitchen every now and then"!!!!!!!!!!!

Ibis, Maviself, Ulalume and 4 others like this.
  10. Yithian

I think we need considerably more detail from your wife, if she wouldn't mind!

Mouldy13 likes this.
  11. gellatly68

gellatly68 Deity upon a velocipede

http://joyofraki.blogspot.com
    I live in a Georgian mansion that's been converted (very badly) into flats - I have what would have been the old kitchens and the cellar. When I moved in a couple of years ago, I half-expected spooky shenanigans, but nothing: In fact, the whole flat feels very benign and cosy. Even the cellar lacks any atmosphere apart from a damp one (although I did experiment with being down there in total darkness - with quite interesting results). That is, until a couple of months ago, when I started seeing 'edge-of-the-eye' things. Not a lot: a hint of movement, perhaps, or a shadow. It particularly seems to happen when I'm in the kitchen - I get the sense someone's just moved past the doorway.
    A couple of days ago though, it was something more. Now, I'll just make the caveat that I've had Son No.1 staying with me over the Easter vacation, but even so....I was in the kitchen, I looked up to the hallway and saw a figure going into my son's bedroom - except it didn't look at all like him. I said 'what's that?' or something, and my son's answered 'what's what?' - FROM THE LIVING ROOM.
    I explained what had happened and he said, 'well, I did go in there', but I said 'no, right now' and he looked perplexed.
    The most logical thing I can think of is that I had some kind of brain freeze, saw him go into his room earlier but didn't register it consciously, then looked up again and mentally constructed a ghost!

Vardoger, escargot1, Ulalume and 3 others like this.
  12. Yithian

What were you doing in the kitchen? Was it something that required significant focus?

13. gellatly68

gellatly68 Deity upon a velocipede

http://joyofraki.blogspot.com
    not really - just general foody things.

14. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Cold Edge Road absolutely needs to be the name of a thriller. With that picture of the house on the cover, too. I would buy it in a heartbeat! :D

Mouldy13 likes this.
  15. PeteS

PeteS Yeti

Halifax - great place , spent many many happy days there in the 70's. Great memories. I've lived in a couple of old houses and did not experience any what you would call definitive ghostly events in either. They were really peaceful and quiet. In contrast I did rent a modern upmarket detached house in the early 90's and that place did not give me a single nights restful sleep. It didn't just creak a bit at night but summer and winter rain or shine it sounded at night if was going to collapse around me. Many times I ended up getting out of bed to see if people were breaking in, it was that bad. During the day it was totally silent. I didn't attach any supernatural explanation at the time but looking back I do now wonder whether something was going on. Weirdly there was a massive padlock securing the hatch to the roof void with no key...

Mouldy13, Krepostnoi and Ulalume like this.
  16. Ibis

Ibis Life is like a box of paints.

Ditto on preferring something other worldly!

However, to be less self-indulgently romantic, it is fascinating how low frequency sounds can affect us; I often wonder how much human generated noise there is which we aren't conscious of, but which is influencing our subjective experiences.

Mouldy13 likes this.
  17. Mouldy13

Mouldy13 Yeti

she says that she's seen the "blurry" figure of a small black terrier type dog in the kitchen area about 8-9 times in the 3 years we've been here. Our dog and cat haven't reacted to any of this stuff in any way.

The bit that is now the kitchen was originally the mistle, a peculiarity of houses in this area is that the barn/mistle is often attached to the living premises with a doorway leading into the living quarters.

escargot1 and Yithian like this.