Science Fiction: Films & TV

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by ramonmercado, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Tau: Julia (Maika Monroe) a grifter and petty thieve is kidnapped from her flat and wakes up in a house of horrors. It is the den of mad computer scientist Alex (Ed Skrein). The building is controlled by an AI, Tau (voiced by Gary Oldman). Along with her co-captives Julia has an implant which records her reactions to various tests and stresses. The only way to escape from Alex may be to form a relationship with Tau.

This is Federico D'Alessandro's debut as director and while not a classic neither is it the disaster some critics allege. While Skein is a rather camp stage villain (anyone who tortures an AI would kill kittens), Monroe puts in a convincing performance as she battles killer robots and sweet talks Tau, in the early stages of the film she even manages to cause an explosion, this is one streetwise grifter . And a nasty robot it is, impaling escaping test subjects, inflicting pain, makes Bender look angelic. Tau also has a fleet of mini-drones to clean up and monitor the captives.

Some pretty well framed shots especially in confined spaces when the robot pursues Maika and returns her to captivity. Mainly shot in the "smart" house the film seems to drag at times, this is in part due to a script which fails to provide background details- eg Julia's apparent military training. Gary Oldman is rather wasted as the voice of Tau who is not the most convincing AI in SF cinematic history. 6/10. On Netflix.

2. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

ramonmercado likes this.
  3. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

Despite Maika Monroe being in it I found it very dull. It's worrying how Netflix keeps butchering SF films. 5 out of 10.

4. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Ah, got to the end of Missions right before it left iPlayer. It looked great, I'll give it that, but I have no clue what it was about. AI developed on Mars? Something like that. They were obviously hoping for a second series too. Loved the opening titles, really classy.

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

This is sort of SF, near future.

The First Purge: The New Founding Fathers of America have won the Presidency and control Congress, now they must deliver on their promises. Instead of Bread they offer a Circus: sociological research suggests a Purge, involving a 12 hour spree of violence, robbery and murder without penalty would be popular. Staten Island is chosen as a pilot experiment and residents are offered $5,000 each to remain on the island during the 12 hours with extra payments if they participate in the purge supplying contact lenses with cameras in them to monitor activity. A community worker, Nya (Lex Scott Davis) tries to get locals to refuse to participate, her ex-boyfriend, Dmitri (Y'lan Noel) drug gang leader intends just to protect his business.

When The Purge begins, Skeletor (Rotimi Paul) a psychotic local makes the fist kill on a guy robbing an ATM, he then launches a knife attack on residents holding a block party. Two crazy old women hide bombs in dolls and teddy bears. Things don't go smoothly for Dmitri and Nya and they have to progress through the violent streets. Strange gangs appear from nowhere and shoot up churches and massacre residents at random. Dmitri will have to defend more than his business.

THis origin story has echoes of Escape From New York with an island cut off and a derelict urban landscape but he complexity of the developing battles brings Bushwick and it's community fightback against outsiders to mind. Some really disturbing scenes of violence and mass slaughter, not a film for the squeamish. Doesn't play the political satire angle quite as well as it might have. 7/10.

6. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Someone's recently posted this ace episode of SPACE 1999 over at B3ta .. my Mum bought me the command craft toy from this show that just looked like a shuttle space craft with scaffolding in the middle to me when I was little, I was absorbed with STAR WARS instead in the late 70's as a little kid (and space lego, me and James Dent made a crude stop motion film using that with cap gun gunpowder as explosives), I remember playing with the space ship but I can't honestly remember watching any episodes of this TV show until now .. my loss ..

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  7. Frasier Buddolph

Frasier Buddolph CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.

Attack The Block (2011)

[​IMG]

A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion. Give it a chance; I think you will like this movie a lot. Not your typical alien invasion yarn.

8. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
    Pity the main cast never went anywhere!

9. Monstrosa

Monstrosa Justified & Ancient

How no! I see what you did there.

10. Peripart

Peripart Antediluvian

Space 1999 originated from a proposed continuation of UFO - that didn't quite happen, so Space 1999 was the result. Those spaceships were great, weren't they?

sherbetbizarre and Swifty like this.
  11. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Indeed they were :alien2:

12. Frasier Buddolph

Jody Whittaker (Sam) has gone on to a successful career in film and TV, and John Boyega (Moses) has appeared in several major films. As for the others, you're right, they seem to have pretty much dropped off the radar. It's a shame, because I thought most of them had real presence on the screen.

13. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Um, I think he was joking! Don't forget Nick Frost was in it too.

Nice to see that Joe Cornish has a new film out soon, anyway (a fantasy thing).

14. Frasier Buddolph

Doh! I didn't even notice the ironic font . . .

15. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

skinny likes this.