Robot Round-Up

Discussion in 'New Science' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2002.

1. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

(Tech Xplore)—New York-based Construction Robotics is just what its title suggests. The company is applying robotics to construction sites where technology can assist, rather than replace, human workers.

Their product is a bricklaying robot SAM, which stands for Semi-Automated Mason. The company team believes "there can be significant improvements to the way the construction industry operates."

Scott Peters, CEO and co-founder, last June introduced the world to his bricklaying robot SAM with a video and this year presented another video, in February, that shows an updated SAM100 OS 2.0.

"SAM100 is faster than ever and running OS 2.0 which now allows soldier course bricks."

Luke Dormehl in Digital Trends said it is capable of building walls six times faster than a human bricklayer.

Dormehl went on to say, "SAM is ready and willing to lay 3,000 bricks per day, using its combination of a conveyor belt, robotic arm, and concrete pump. By comparison, a human builder will average around 500 bricks per day."

SAM is capable of laying 3,000 bricks per day? Word travels fast. Reports said the robot will make an entry in the UK later this year. Futurism earlier this month reported that Construction Robotics "has announced its entry into the U.K. market later this year as it finalizes negotiations with various construction companies." ...

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-04-bricklaying-robot-ergonomic-economic-impact.html

2. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

The endless toy train robot half loop .. until the power gets cut off I suppose .. this sums up my life, mostly by choice if I'm being fair.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. Swifty

.. and that bit out of ALIENS when Bishop does that finger stab thing party trick except for real now .. :cool: (RIP Bill Paxton)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The race to build the world’s first sex robot
    The $30bn sex tech industry is about to unveil its biggest blockbuster: a $15,000 robot companion that talks, learns, and never says no

by Jenny Kleeman Thursday 27 April 2017 05.30 BST

In the brightly lit robotics workshop at Abyss Creations’ factory inSan Marcos, California, a life-size humanoid was dangling from a stand, hooked between her shoulder blades. Her name was Harmony. She wore a white leotard, her chest was thrust forward and her French-manicured fingers were splayed across the tops of her slim thighs.

Harmony is a prototype, a robotic version of the company’s hyper-realistic silicone sex toy, the RealDoll. The Realbotix room where she was assembled was lined with varnished pine surfaces covered with wires and circuit boards, and a 3D printer whirred in the corner, spitting out tiny, intricate parts that will be inserted beneath her PVC skull. Her hazel eyes darted between me and her creator, Matt McMullen, as he described her accomplishments.

Harmony smiles, blinks and frowns. She can hold a conversation, tell jokes and quote Shakespeare. She’ll remember your birthday, McMullen told me, what you like to eat, and the names of your brothers and sisters. She can hold a conversation about music, movies and books. And of course, Harmony will have sex with you whenever you want. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/27/race-to-build-world-first-sex-robot

Swifty likes this.
  5. Swifty

I'd never shag a robot .. I want one of these on my roof for when I come home from work .. until I can get a dog ..

PeteByrdie likes this.
  6. OneWingedBird

OneWingedBird Justified and Ancient

Needs a death ray. :twisted:

Mythopoeika likes this.
  7. Swifty

A variable angle test for a soft robotic earthworms, the idea is that these could be used for medical applications

8. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Could be a useful tool for cable companies replacing cable in conduits. Or even a robot for cleaning a sewer.

9. Swifty

10. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

The Czechs are rightly proud of Capek, who invented the term Robot. Tributes to him can be found all over Prague.

On a fleeting visit recently, I began to appreciate* how central Czech culture was in every sense. Amazing place! :clap:

*Book-learning is fine. So is travel. They ought to go hand-in-hand. I need a few decades more to catch up on the travel side of things. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Swifty likes this.
  11. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

Religious Robot

Watch the short video to brighten your day [in German with subtitles] at link. It's hands light up & eyebrows move slightly whilst delivering the blessing.

12. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Isn't this Douglas Adams' Electric Monk that does all your religious business for you?

13. Swifty

Bot Lobster and other DIY robots ..

Vardoger likes this.
  14. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Coal and rynner2 like this.
  15. Frasier Buddolph

Frasier Buddolph Yeti

PeteByrdie likes this.
  16. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

17. Mythopoeika

I've done a bit of bricklaying myself in the past, so I'll say this...there's a lot more to bricklaying than just putting cement and bricks in the right place. So I don't think this will replace high quality workmanship anytime soon. It's probably more suited to putting houses up to a time schedule, rather than a quality requirement.

18. Frasier Buddolph

Frasier Buddolph Yeti

Not being a wise guy, here, but please elaborate. Seems to me that if a machine can lay down straight and true walls with properly dressed joints, then that machine is a competent bricklayer. No?

19. Mythopoeika

Well... when you put a brick in place, it's not enough to just dab on some cement or plonk the brick onto cement.
    You have to move the cement and/or brick about until there's a good contact (this also depends a lot on the consistency of the cement). Then you have to use the trowel to point out the seams for a tidy join with no holes. Finally, you have to clean the surfaces of the bricks so it looks like a quality job.

I've seen plenty of walls that looked OK, but over time they developed poor adhesion between the seam of cement and the bricks. That kind of fault can be minimised by proper application of the cement.

20. Frasier Buddolph

Frasier Buddolph Yeti

Thank you, Myth, for that additional detail.

Yeah, but weren't those faulty walls laid down by a HUMAN bricklayer? ( I myself once saw a cinderblock wall that you could see daylight through.) I have to say it seems to me that it should be a pretty straightforward task to program a bricklaying robot that does a workmanlike job and is more consistent than a human bricklayer.