Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Discussion in 'Chat' started by hunck, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Carbon Based Infestation

My favourite from a few years back - I've slept soundly ever since
    285398_146087815473215_3654816_n.jpg

2. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

I reckon the zombies got together, sympathised with the plight of the locals and chose to just leave them alone instead.

Bigphoot2 likes this.
  3. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Carbon Based Infestation

Even zombies avoid Dundee :)

Swifty likes this.
  4. Yithian

Yithian Intergalactic Space Crusader Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Out to the countryside again this evening, headed to the same restaurant as a fortnight ago.

It was incredibly hot today and the light at sunset was--as I reported a while back--very odd. I think it's something to do with the hot air rushing upward and leaving a kind of gradient that makes things nearby look almost hyper-real--I don't have the background in atmospherics to account for it properly (you can see from the first picture that the camera responds to it oddly). I feel asleep for almost forty minutes in the garden of this art-deco-esque café while my daughter watched Winnie The Pooh and my wife made phone calls. The staff were very kind and brought free sweeties out for Miss Yith. Appropriately enought, that sign says 'Dreaming Café'. I think I might (as everybody says) be turning into my dad.

20180714_192108.jpg
    20180714_192009.jpg 20180714_201151.jpg

5. Yithian

Apologies for the spam that stuck around the board a little long that usual--I was at the beach.

It was thirty-two degrees earlier and we headed for the west coast to an area that it know for tidal mud-flats and migratory birds. To get there you drive onto a (bridged) island and through the most beautiful (low) mountainous countryside. I know mountains are, well, mountains, but as the breed goes they aren't large. I shan't bore you with repetition, but it was hill after hill with little farms, houses and cafés nestling in every foothill. Drank a beer and walked in the sun; played in the mud and the tidal streams; ate shellfish, noodles and acorn-jelly pancakes by a lake. The 'mud' was almost black--the clay-like stuff they throw on you at fancy health spars. Miss Yith actually got properly stuck in it and had to be lifted out minus shoes! I was quite pleased with that picture of the fruit-selling lady as it was taken from a moving car and came out perfectly. The last picture is the lake.

No complaints--day well spent.

Random pictures below:

20180715_135105.jpg 20180715_135416.jpg 20180715_135440.jpg 20180715_135707.jpg 20180715_135715.jpg 20180715_140331.jpg 20180715_140339.jpg 20180715_141043.jpg 20180715_152557.jpg 20180715_154833.jpg 20180715_161203.jpg 20180715_161239.jpg 20180715_161716.jpg 20180715_161920.jpg 20180715_161942.jpg 20180715_162028.jpg 20180715_162126.jpg 20180715_172255.jpg 20180715_184140.jpg

Swifty, skinny, GingerTabby and 3 others like this.
  6. Yithian

We went to Gangnam today to visit a friend of ours who has just given birth at the end of a long series of fertility treatments. All was well and the baby seemed... well... like newborns generally are, but at this age and in this part of the world babies are 'quarantined', with only the mother and nurses actually touching them for the first week. During visiting hours, the blinds are raised on the nursery and babies are wheeled forward to the window on their trolleys and lifted by bemasked and beloved nurses. It's all completely over the top, but then East Asia has some of the lowest child mortality rates in the world, so who am I to say that it's overly cautious. The next step (after six days in hospital) is not home, incidentally, but to a post-maternity clinic for between one and three weeks recovery. Almost all mothers attend one, but the difference in quality is incalculable. My wife stayed in one that I would equate to a five-star hotel with 24hr nursing (again quarantined: I was the only guest allowed beyond the aquarium like glass and had to pass through an airlock and take some kind of air shower) and three meals a day of specially chosen food to aid recovery; the friend and her husband that we visited today make us look like peasants, however, and the place she is headed to looks like a giant Manhattan penthouse with massage, various therapies, maternal skills classes, yoga etc. etc. One oddity that I thought you might like is this very popular gimmick all hospitals seem to offer now: they take casts of your newborn's hands and feet, gild them, pickle the remnants of the umbilical corder and frame the lot to put on your wall. It's weird as all hell as far as I'm concerned, but very popular indeed. We do actually have this for our daughter, but only because it was offered for free by the post-maternity clinic and I saw no point in rejecting a gift. This one is a sample to attract potential customers.

The temperature was once again crazy here: thirty-seven degrees all afternoon, which meant that Seoul Forest (a large park) was all but deserted. Miss Yith and I are impervious to heat, so we went strolling around in the shadows while my wife sat in shock at the wall of heat that struck us on leaving the building. The place was virtually deserted as you can see. The apartment building pictured is seriously swish: residents have access to their own art galleries, bars restaurants, pet salons and childcare--not to mention amazing views of the park--but more importantly for us their lobby and underground parking is open to the public, so you can park there and then take a lift upstairs and step straight out into the park. Finished off with a bottle of ice-cold lager and a paddle in the similarly cold stream.

20180722_133559.jpg 20180722_151127.jpg 20180722_151344.jpg 20180722_151656.jpg 20180722_153126.jpg 20180722_153139.jpg 20180722_153351.jpg 20180722_155450.jpg

skinny, Peripart, Krepostnoi and 4 others like this.
  7. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

In my neck 'o the woods, there's a reward being offered for information on the random theft of taxi tops .. you know the ones, those brightly coloured plastic toblerone shaped things that have the company name and phone number on them. Someone local's speculating that these could be used by a potential rapist to lure someone into a car, seeing as the company phone numbers are on them, any criminal would have to be pretty stupid to mount one on another car. We reckon it's just local kids mucking about.

escargot likes this.
  8. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Snorkelling in Sheringham .. the next coastal town to us ..

Peripart likes this.
  9. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Hey man. I don't often miss SK but your post just brought a bit back. Get outta town when you can and it is one of the most beautiful lands in this eastern hemisphere.

Something from my town now. I've been a citizen of Adelaide city for 30 years now and I have finally learned to accept that I'm no longer a country boy. Spent the first 17 years of life in various rural communities dragged around the state by a roving reverend and his good lady wife. I live very fringe these days. Spent a few years deep in the smoke but I'm on a patch that is just filled with clean air and birdsong. I don't want to go anywhere else, except to get this Irish thing out of my system.

Anyway, one of our local bands that made it massive decades ago is Cold Chisel. The lead singer is Jim Barnes, a Glaswegian by birth, who grew up in the ten pound pom satellite suburb of Elizabeth north of Adelaide. Hehad an extreme rough childhood, the details of which I'm about to read in his newly released book, Working Class Boy. When he came of age he found himself in the rock scene of early 70s Adelaide, and one of the gigs of legend locally was the Largs Pier Hotel at Semaphore on Adelaide's northern beaches. Very shady, very tough, very raw but a place where character was formed and sweet things died.

I just today heard this song and watched this video for the first time and it really amazed me, because Jim's been a hard rocker for most of his career. here I find him poking at his migrant roots and those heady days of yore [/cliches]. The setting is half above a country town out back of the city called Strathalbyn (Hi Scots), and the other scenes are the hills above the south coast on the Flerieu Peninsula south of the city. These places are where I run to when I need to clear my head, often at night under a trillion stars, but not always. It surprised me that he made this video, because I didn't think he had that great a love for Adelaide. How wrong I was. Hope you enjoy a little homegrown lore from my town of Adelaide and its serene surrounds.

Love to you all - skinny

Swifty and ramonmercado like this.
  10. James_H

James_H And I like to roam the land

Not my neck of the woods but where I went today: check out this Lovecraftian creature on a memorial to a duchess in Golspie
    [​IMG]

11. cycleboy2

cycleboy2 Abominable Snowman

Swifty likes this.
  12. James_H

And if you enjoyed that you'll love this horse-footed flowerbed-cum-lamppost in Stromness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

Does the plaque explain the equestrian imagery? Lions' claw feet are fairly conventional; the hooves are unexpected, unless there is a story behind them. :dhorse:

Actually, it dawns on me that it was originally a trough for working horses to drink from! Signs of where the fountain spouts were.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    GingerTabby and Mythopoeika like this.
  14. James_H

It was originally a fountain, installed in honour of one Alexander Graham (d. 1783) in 1901.

escargot and JamesWhitehead like this.
  15. Andy X

Andy X Portent

My hopes were raised when I found my all-time favourite Indian takeaway has now been re-launched by the original owner under a different name (for the business) - after having mysteriously closed down overnight without explanation about three years ago.

Looking at their special 'exclusive dishes' we find...

plucked_FTMB.png

It all sounds jolly saucy...but should I report this to someone?

Tikkagate? ;)

I'd have happily proof-read their menu for them in return for a free vindaloo.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  16. JamesWhitehead

it was the Sutra Korma that got me wondering. A creamy and mildly-spiced dish to be enjoyed in not-too-demanding positions? :dinner:

escargot and Andy X like this.
  17. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Resistance is futile!

There's nothing like a virgin brushed lightly all over with honey, provided it's within reason, tastefully done and consent!

Andy X likes this.
  18. catseye

catseye Generally strange

www.janelovering.co.uk
    And I was doing so well with my diet until I read that...

Andy X likes this.
  19. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Yes, it made me spit out my honey-brushed virgin chicken!

Andy X and catseye like this.
  20. Andy X

Andy X Portent

On a serious note I think they may even be employing the same chef (no friend to calorie-counters). These kind of super-rich dishes featured heavily in their original menu: he'd take an existing recipe and add butter, cream, honey, assorted nuts, brandy, cheese and some more butter - the Two Fat Ladies approach if you like.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Peripart likes this.
  21. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

Oh dear, it's all kicking off in Cromer ..

Four of the Cromer Royal British Legion have resigned as well as our previous mayor who's also resigned because of the alleged actions of our new mayor .. there's often two sides to every story and this is just gossip so far, I've removed the name of the local who sent me this explanation .. the Cromer facebook group's admin have deleted this post ..

adodgymayor.jpg

... as the Eastern Daily Press have reported this (more diplomatically) so far ..

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politic...-town-s-royal-british-legion-branch-1-5640811

.. :popc:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM
  22. Yithian

Not my image, but another Korean convenience you never realised you wanted.

A week's bananas, packaged with seven six degrees of ripeness:

arb5m3bd3uf11.jpg

(The main text simply reads: [Your] Daily One Banana--Everyday a delicious banana!)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 8:42 PM
  23. James_H

That's bananas!

escargot likes this.
  24. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    That is a truly brilliant idea.

25. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

But there's 6 bananas ? .. 6 degrees is still a good idea.

26. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Due to austerity there are only six days in a Korean week.

escargot and Swifty like this.
  27. Yithian

You're right--and I can't count!

Swifty likes this.
  28. JamesWhitehead

On the Seventh Day, God did refrain from bananas. Sensible, given their effect . . . :tears:

escargot likes this.
  29. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Depends on how they're... applied.

30. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The banana is the forbidden fruit in the koran.