"Political Correctness Gone Mad"

Discussion in 'The Human Condition' started by Yithian, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

In what way is it applied to men?

2. onetwothree

onetwothree Ephemeral Spectre

I have never, ever heard this term in anything other than in relation to women.

Frideswide and Shady like this.
  3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Have you heard of 'the male menopause'? It's a thing.

Shady likes this.
  4. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

I have heard of the "manopause". It's a thing but a different thing. Menopause is specifically the cessation of menstruation. The clue is in the name!

5. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

You mean ‘Manopause’.

Shady likes this.
  6. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

The Manopause is when you get hot flushes, red-faced and become right wing and a racist bigot. It’s an unpreventable change. Like hair sprouting out of your ever-growing nose and ears.

7. Frideswide

Frideswide Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)

Mytho, people who do not menstruate and ovulate do not get a menopause.

8. Andy X

Andy X Portent

https://www.healthline.com/health/menopause/male

Edit: Just to reassure male members (you know what I mean) I've seen a couple more articles suggesting that some medical professionals prefer the more gender-specific term 'andropause', and that it doesn't necessarily always mean a sudden drop in testosterone once you get past 50, although there is generally a slow decrease over time. And yet the Male Menopause remains a recognised Thing - a package of age-related symptoms - including weight gain, depression and difficulty concentrating (except on fast red cars, leather trousers and secretaries) and physical changes.

It's probably simpler to just decide that regardless of gender you're pretty much knackered after about 27 :-(

Which might explain those dead rock stars.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

Why?

I don't believe that Ben Broadbent knowingly set out to offend a few middle-aged women.
    He was searching for a metaphor to describe an economy that was mature but with diminishing productivity.

It's an original, slightly odd and arguably clumsy metaphor but surely only the professionally offended would have such a hissy fit about it?

10. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Odd that the world of economics have never developed a word for this. I’ve just had to look through a financial document and apart from this, they seem to have EVERY eventuality covered in minute detail.

Shady likes this.
  11. Andy X

Andy X Portent

Not an attempt to lash out at the nearest un-PC person, this, more a clumsy admixture of our old friend Virtue Signalling and the demonising of 'Brexiteers' - who, with starling originality and faultless logic, we're reminded are 'Daily Mail readers'. :rolleyes:

If I understand any of this correctly, Moffat himself chose not to genderbend the Doc earlier because some viewers hate women or something. Yet the headline states quite plainly that it was these notional Doctor deserters who are directly responsible.

You might have noticed this sort of blurring-of- cause-and-effect tactic frequently from BBC News, for (fictional) example by way of illustration:

• Activist(s) kick up stink on social media over picture on box of breakfast cereal being transphobic.
    • BBC reports "Cereal packaging sparks transphobia row"
    • Followed by "Here's why you probably thought it was still OK to buy transphobic museli in 2018"
    Here's the story:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  12. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
    Just to be clear on what Broadbent *actually* said and the context in which he said it.

In an interview with the Telegraph he compared the UK economy to the “climacteric” growth of the 1880s and (presumably when the journalist looked at him blankly) went on to clarify that the word mean “menopausal, but can apply to both genders... it means you’ve passed your productive peak”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...land-ben-broadbent-productivity-a8353671.html

So there you go. Stay your pitchforks. Or, maybe sharpen them. I’m sure there’ll be anothe source for faux outrage tomorrow.

13. Andy X

Andy X Portent

Not wishing to trivialise the issue...this is confusing to me as try as I might I keep picturing Jim Broadbent, the popular actor, being chased across a barren moor.

onetwothree and GingerTabby like this.
  14. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

That’s quite poetic.

Andy X likes this.
  15. Andy X

Andy X Portent

16. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Indeed. One might become a social leper.

Oops.

maximus otter

17. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

Must admit that one misappropriation of a medical condition that does annoy me is the American usage of "dumb", which describes an inability to speak (usually resulting from congenital deafness) , but is gaining traction as a synonym for "stupid".

18. Andy X

Andy X Portent

Somewhat agree, yet we've been talking about 'dumb animals' (that's probably speciesist Hate Speech now) for a long, long time. Plenty of English words have contextual double meanings without causing confusion.

19. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bohn again.

For once, Min, I don't entirely agree with your first sentence, although I am in accord with the rest of your post. I think the reaction to criticism of his remark is very much a freedom of speech issue: we're supposed to tolerate, nay, welcome the public airing of much more reprehensible views from people with legitimate economic concernsracists, sexists and other bigots - see eg some of the appalling posts on the Islam threads on this very website - due to the fetishisation of this notion of freedom of speech or, in a slightly more sophisticated version, appeals to the "marketplace of ideas". Yet, strangely enough, as soon as some counter-opinions are brought to that marketplace, for example that perhaps we might consider being a little more respectful of women, or people of colour, or other minorities, the very same voices speak up in a chorus of "censorship" and "PC gorn mad". Isn't that strange? It's almost as though for some people "freedom of speech" means the freedom to say all manner of offensive things and not then be called out on it.

20. maximus otter

I'd be fascinated to see what you regard as an appalling post concerning Islam. Perhaps you'd be good enough to direct me to one or two exemplars you regard as particularly iniquitous.

maximus otter

jimv1, AlchoPwn, Andy X and 1 other person like this.
  21. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Not at all.

Mr Broadbent was entitled to use his rather odd metaphor. People are equally entitled to say they didn’t like it. And, other people are entitled to say that the objectors appear to be overreacting and looking for things to be offended about.

That’s free speech. It *becomes* censorship or PC gone mad at the point that one side says “you’re not allowed to say this” and moves into totalitarian territory once there are demands for people saying verboten things to lose their jobs or even face criminal prosecution.

22. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

Freedom of speech is not a notion, it's a fundamental right. It's agreed that one cannot use freedom of speech to directly incite violence (although it happens frequently and is rarely prosecuted) . But otherwise one has to put up with it since it is likely in a free society that some will have views directly opposed to one's own. Even if 'one's own' is the government, or someone with a skin thinner than tissue paper.

If you suppress speech then dissenters will find other ways to express themselves which will be even less pleasant for one's own precious views.

Post-menopausal women are past child bearing (without external aid), no doubt what he meant to imply was that the economy was (in his opinion) passing out of a productive phase. It's exactly the sort of thing an economist would say, since for most of them money and people are pretty much indistinguishable.

23. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bohn again.

Shall I come round and do your washing up, as well? Go look at the thread in question, and you'll see examples of me replying to posts I've found particularly objectionable. I'll warn you now it won't be an exhaustive collection: there will be plenty of others on that thread that I didn't have the time or energy to pick up on.

Yossarian likes this.
  24. maximus otter

Got it.

maximus otter

25. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Yes. Limits on free speech should extend no further than:

• Direct incitement to physical violence
    • Targeted harassment of an individual
    • Slander / defamation of an individual
    • Shouting fire in a crowded theatre or the modern day equivalent
    Otherwise, pretty much anything goes.

Cochise, AlchoPwn and ramonmercado like this.
  26. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

But do you think people shouldn’t be allowed to express these things you find objectionable?

27. Yithian

Yithian Incredulous Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    I think he means they should, but not without the consequence of potentially being called a bigot or some subclass of the term.

Yossarian and Spookdaddy like this.
  28. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

True. That is a phrase which has entered popular usage. Maybe because leprosy has ceased to be so prevalent.

29. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Sound like me on the night of the full moon when I see a farmer.

Cochise likes this.
  30. AlchoPwn

AlchoPwn Ephemeral Spectre

So this manopause is gonna happen to you too jimv1

quote-ever-get-the-feeling-you-ve-been-cheated-good-night-john-lydon-248550.jpg