"Political Correctness Gone Mad"

Discussion in 'The Human Condition' started by Yithian, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
    I did. I cringed.

The whole thing was cringeworthy not least because the most vocal of the #MeToo hysterics (I’m looking at YOU Meryl Streep and Oprah Winfrey) have previously cuddled up to Harvey Weinstein and, in the case of Streep, led a standing ovation for a convicted child rapist.

Horrible, horrible people.

Spudrick68 and maximus otter like this.
  2. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that! Just that an area getting more upmarket can have its downsides.

3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    The cost of housing...

4. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

"In 2003, Polanski won Best Director at the Oscars for The Pianist.

When Harrison Ford announced his name, the audience – comprising all the great and good of the movie business - burst into prolonged loud clapping and cheering.

Leading the applause was Meryl Streep, who sprang to her feet to give Polanski a standing ovation.

It is worth reminding ourselves about why Polanski was not himself able to receive the award in person.

In March, 1977, the director was arrested and charged in Los Angeles with five offenses against Samantha Gailey, a 13-year-old girl: rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under 14, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor.

Polanski, then 43, did a deal with prosecutors in which he pled guilty to a charge of engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. He thought he was going to get off with probation, but then heard rumours he would more likely face lengthy imprisonment - so Polanski fled the country to France, hours before he was due to be sentenced.

He has never returned, and has avoided visiting any countries since that may extradite him back to the USA."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...N-Hollywood-s-hypocritical-horror-Harvey.html

"When [Gailey, 13 years old at the time of the offence] sued Polanski years later for sexual assault, he pleaded the 5th when asked if he illegally gave her champagne and part of a Quaalude pill, then performed oral copulation on her and sodomized her."

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-polanski25-2009oct25-story.html

maximus otter

Coal likes this.
  5. Andy X

Andy X Portent

I blame the Victorians for starting that kind of thing:

_87806433_babies-hammers-easter-postcard.jpg

GingerTabby and ramonmercado like this.
  6. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Spaced here.

7. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Its not a separate issue for locals and small businesses which are priced out of the area.

Again, working class people are not criminals, their objections to gentrification are often valid.

What is not valid is to conflate local decent people with a small criminal minority. That is just as bad as the smearing of Northern working class people as rapists.

8. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

One can be poor and honest. Said one needs services attuned to the likely income of the poor and honest. These are different services than the posh and trendy, and much cheaper. So called 'gentrification' drives out the former in favour of the latter.

9. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

I’m not sure if I’d complain about gentrification if my high street was solely a mix of charity shops, betting shops, coffee shops or else boarded up. Which a lot of high streets are these days.

Quake42 and maximus otter like this.
  10. Cochise

Understood. But that is not a good thing either.

11. MetroGnome

MetroGnome Devoted Cultist

Vegetarian: Indian word for "lousy hunter."

Andy X, Vardoger, GingerTabby and 5 others like this.
  12. Quake42

Quake42 Warrior Princess

Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
    Let’s be clear on what gentrification involves.

“Middle class” (whatever that even means nowadays) people, professionals or students buy or rent homes in rundown and often crime-ridden areas. Sometimes to seem “edgy” but more often because of affordability. Businesses catering to the new demographic begin to open. Yes this may mean craft beer bars or artisan pizza joints. Nothing wrong with that. But also a small branch of Marks & Spencer, for example, or a Tesco Metro/Sainsbury’s Local. The new shops and cafes/pubs attract visitors to the area and the place becomes more attractive and prosperous.

On balance this seems to me a good thing. Yes the cost of housing in the area will rise. But anyone owning their home in the area will be unaffected by this. More to the point, the alternative is to keep it as a slum. An inclusive slum perhaps in the sense that everyone can afford to live there, but nobody will actually choose to do so. And even to enforce this somewhat dysfunctional policy would require Stalinist levels of central planning.

No thanks.

Andy X and maximus otter like this.
  13. stuneville

stuneville Amministratore principale Staff Member

And the Estate Agents. Don't forget the Estate Agents :). Like tabloid journalists at a soap-star's gate, there'll be suddenly a seemingly-unsustainable number of them setting up camp before anyone else is aware of what's going on.

They're turning increasingly proactive, too. We've had them knocking on the door asking if we want to sell up, if we know what our house is worth, if we want to move just a couple of miles further out they've got loads of bigger houses that are cheaper than ours..

Nope. I actually don't care what my house is worth. It's where I live so I'm very happy with the arrangement, thank you. A lot of my neighbours (esp those much older, or younger with growing families) have taken the shilling though. In a couple of years at least half the houses have changed hands, and the incoming householders are noticeably younger and more affluent. It was never a poor area, but even the middle-incomes would struggle to get a place here now, and as for FTBs forget it, unless they have a £50k deposit to throw around.

maximus otter and ramonmercado like this.
  14. maximus otter

... And their euphemistic jargon:

"No onward chain": Previous owner was murdered and dismembered in bathroom.

"Reduced for quick sale": Body parts still being discovered in bathroom.

"Perfect for first-time buyer": Beggars can't be choosers.

"Diverse community": Remember the Cantina Scene from Star Wars?

"Vibrant": Run!

maximus otter

15. maximus otter

Police forces must change the way they recruit dog handlers after a female officer won a landmark sex-discrimination case showing that the system was too “tough” for some women.

WPC* Kim-Louise Carter was awarded £15,000 after failing a fitness test which involved a 10-mile run, then carrying a dog over a course before running with it a further 100 yards.

The employment tribunal was told how three forces - Gloucester, Avon & Somerset and Wiltshire - all used the same exam which resulted in many more men being recruited as dog handlers compared to women.

Lawyers for the three forces insisted that a key requirement for the job of dog handlers was being physically fit because they often track criminals over long periods of time in often across demanding terrains with the added challenge of a suspect resisting arrest when eventually caught.

The judges’ ruling was published this week. It said the test of pace and stamina was more demanding for women than men. Meanwhile, the fitness test, which had the same pass mark for men and women, had proven more difficult for women to pass compared to men, a factor suggesting it was discriminating against women.

“Where a standard test had negative impacts on members of a protected group, here women, then it either needs to be changed or objectively justified, “ said the judge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/12/police-review-tests-dog-handlers-avoid-discrimination/

Hopefully - if, God forbid, your house is burgled/loved one victimised - WPC* Carter won't be the dog handler tasked to follow the track. Or, if she is, the offender proves compliant. If she manages to catch up with him.

*That's me off to Hell...

maximus otter

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. sherbetbizarre

sherbetbizarre Special Branch

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/
    Or how about a place with unique character - it doesn't have to be a crime-ridden "slum" - which becomes as bland and boring as the next place when all the corporates take over?

ramonmercado likes this.
  17. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    Is "Are you being served" on Netflix already? ;)

18. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Nothing of the sort, the pay gap is not alleged and proves Google is not some bastion of neoliberalism, it's a ruthless corporation using this man, hankering after a 21st century victim narrative of his very own, who was fired for shit stirring as a smokescreen for their less than fair practices.

19. Cochise

for once I don't agree. i don't believe in 'equality' . And given that such a thing doesn't happen, the poor (for example most of my extended family) are entitled to their communities as well. I have experienced the contempt the 'middle classes' have for the poor and I wouldn't want it in my community. In fact, the so-called upper classes have more respect.

20. Hyper³

Hyper³ Junior Acolyte

....another one of these ones.....

Donna Riley published an article in the most recent edition of the journal Engineering Education, claiming that academic rigor is a “dirty deed” that perpetuates “white male heterosexual privilege” due to its definition.

Campus Reform reports that Riley defines rigor as “the aspirational quality academics apply to disciplinary standards of quality,” which, in her eyes, means that “rigor is used to maintain disciplinary boundaries, with exclusionary implications for marginalized groups and marginalized ways of knowing.”

“One of rigor’s purposes is, to put it bluntly, a thinly veiled assertion of white male (hetero)sexuality,” she writes in her article.“My visceral reaction in many conversations where I have seen rigor asserted has been to tell parties involved (regardless of gender) to whip them out and measure them already.”

Riley defines rigor as “hardness, stiffness, and erectness,” and claims the word has undeniable “sexual connotations—and links to masculinity in particular.”

However, the dictionary – typically the only acceptable source for word definitions – defines rigor as “the quality or state of being very exact, careful, or strict.”

She might be thinking of “vigor,” which can certainly have sexual connotations.

Riley also believes that academic rigor excludes women and minorities.

“Rigor may be a defining tool, revealing how structural forces of power and privilege operate to exclude men of color and women, students with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, first-generation and low-income students, and non-traditionally aged students,” she suggests, adding that rigor can “reinforce gender, race, and class hierarchies in engineering, and maintain invisibility of queer, disabled, low-income, and other marginalized engineering students.”

According to Riley, “decades of ethnographic research document a climate of microaggressions and cultures of whiteness and masculinity in engineering.”

She also claims in her piece that “scientific knowledge itself is gendered, raced, and colonizing,” and engineering contains an “inherent masculinist, white, and global North bias…all under a guise of neutrality.”

Riley believes the way to combat this is to “do away with” academic rigor completely.

“This is not about reinventing rigor for everyone, it is about doing away with the concept altogether so we can welcome other ways of knowing. Other ways of being. It is about criticality and reflexivity,” Riley writes. “We need these other ways of knowing to critique rigor, and to find a place to start to build a community for inclusive and holistic engineering education.”

https://www.dangerous.com/38520/engineering-professor-creates-rigor-definition-become-outraged/

...hands up who wants to be first over the bridge designed by an engineer who can't be bothered with all that "scientific knowledge" shit....

Andy X, Min Bannister, Coal and 2 others like this.
  21. Mythopoeika

Sure, let's do away with academic rigour. Eat your popcorn and watch as civilisation slowly crumbles.

GingerTabby, Andy X and Ermintruder like this.
  22. Yithian

Yithian Incredulous Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Sack_of_Rome_by_the_Visigoths_on_24_August_410_by_JN_Sylvestre_1890.jpg

Sack of Rome by the Visigoths on 24 August 410, by J.N. Sylvestre, 1890

GingerTabby, Andy X, Peripart and 2 others like this.
  23. Coal

Coal Polymath Renaissance Man

Riley I'm sure will not be using any drugs to save her life or health nor will be visiting a doctor...nor driving a car...nor wait, publishing using some kind of computer...she probably thinks 'performatory contradiction' is just bad sex.

While those of us who understand the necessity for such rigour are rolling our collective eyes, a swathe of people feeling hard done by because they know they're clever, but for some reason didn't do well academically, will flock around her and echo her thoughts. It's the intellectual equivalent of offering free sweeties if they vote for candidate X.

24. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Oh my God. This is actually promoting incompetence as a norm for design, testing, rules and professionalism.

This doesn’t remind me - it actually is the central theme of Rob Grant’s novel ‘Incompetence’. Summary here...

I would say Riley definitely is a sufferer of ‘Non-Specific Stupidity‘. God help us all.

25. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

Ah. There was a recent episode of Red Dwarf along those lines too where they go aboard a ship where no-one is allowed to be criticised, no matter how ridiculous or incompetent their actions.

jimv1 likes this.
  26. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I sent that image to Purdue University

GingerTabby, Yithian and jimv1 like this.
  27. Mythopoeika

Just ordered this book, thanks.

28. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

They’ve probably evaluated it and reached the conclusion it is a photograph of the toppling of a statue of Saddam after the Iraq War.

GingerTabby and ramonmercado like this.
  29. Mungoman

Mungoman Mostly harmless...

I've recently moved from a rural area, one hour from the Australian capital, and two hours by road from the CBD of Sydney.

15 years ago this town was a rural city with many industries reliant on the local population as a workforce, and where you could buy a double brick Victorian home for $90,000 Australian (now up to $400,000 in town).

The residents of Canberra and Sydney, over the last 10 years have realised how simple it is to sell up their residence in Sydney and Canberra for $700,000, buy a property or home in the Southern Tablelands for next to nothing and then, after the dust has settled, bank $400,000, and commute.

The industry has dropped away (read gone offshore), leaving the locals who grew up here needing to relocate, retrain, or travel to earn a quid.

Now that the treechangers have moved in, they realise that the majority of homes and houses here have a 'heritage value' and have initiated heritage orders with the local council where there once was none...because they've decided to become Councillors where they can establish a heritage design manual. For our benefit. We can no longer paint the exterior of our homes the colour that we want to, and any alteration, is a council development application, and unless it follows the heritage plan is forbidden.

To us the homes we lived in might have had 14 foot ceilings, horse hair and plaster ceilings, marbled fire places, windows from floor to ceiling, and parquetry flooring but they were homes to us to live in - not an investment - and we appreciated what we had. Now they're becoming something else.

Needless to say I am not enarmoured of this kind of gentrification.

30. James_H

James_H And I like to roam the land

Oh my days.