Podcast Section

Discussion in 'Fortean Times Magazine' started by XEPER_, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Leicester Fortean

Leicester Fortean Fresh Blood

I have recently got into podcasts in a big way, I would say Lore and Unexplained are my favourites, both very good quality. For all you ghost fans I would recommend Haunted, it's had 1 season so far which I think was 10 episodes, I found it genuinely chilling as the presenter speaks to people who claim to have seen ghosts in a very non-dramatised way which for me made it all very realistic and plausible. The presenter is very easy to listen to as well, the perfect voice for a podcast. I really enjoyed Haunted.
    I also listen to Haunted Places which is done by a voice actor so is very entertaining and informative, thoroughly enjoyable.
    On the downside ..... I didn't enjoy the couple of episodes of Monster Talk I listened to at all, I found it far too rambling and unstructured, I realise it's a discussion podcast but there was no direction to it, I very quickly got bored.
    I was also disappointed with Strange, the subject matter was always interesting but the podcasts were too short and half of the time was taken up by the relentless plugging of the website and the presenter reading out messages from fans.
    If anyone can recommend some other ghost-related podcasts that are genuinely scary then please do!

XEPER_ likes this.
  2. XEPER_

XEPER_ Abominable Snowman

I'll check out those recommendations LF! Not listened to much in the way of podcasts lately, been hooked by Daphne du Maurier's audiobooks.

3. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

escargot likes this.
  4. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Abominable Snowman

If you like the "Tamam Shud" or "Somerton Man" case, you will probably enjoy this one:

"Death in the Ice Valley"

A real cold war crime case from Norway. The pace of the podcast is glacial, but I like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060ms2h

escargot and Naughty_Felid like this.
  5. XEPER_

I checked out the podcast covered in the latest (or was it last?) FT - Mysterious Universe. The episode about The Vertical Plane was great. That book is available again on Amazon for a good price too!
    Anyway, the MU podcast is really good. Listened to few so far and they're quite enjoyable although the hosts aren't skeptical enough IMO.

escargot likes this.
  6. XEPER_

This?
    https://www.panoply.fm/podcasts/haunted

7. Tempest63

Tempest63 Fresh Blood

I thoroughly enjoyed the back catalogue of Unexplained with Howard Hughes but became disenchanted with the constant UFO and Conspiracy episodes, and some of his latter guests are, quite frankly, bonkers. Sadly I ended up unsubscribing as I found I was no longer enjoying these particular podcasts.

XEPER_ likes this.
  8. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Abominable Snowman

I'm still listening. And yes, some of his guests are bonkers, but that's all part of the fun.

As Howard has often explained, he just wants people to make up their own minds.

9. James_H

James_H And I like to roam the land

I've been enjoying reading the podcast section in the magazine, but do we really need that 1/3 page explanation of what a podcast is every time?

XEPER_ likes this.
  10. XEPER_

Apparently we don't need any of it, since it's not in the new issue. Reviews of shitey horror movies and the like still in there though. :rage:

11. Leicester Fortean

12. XEPER_

I've listened to them all - where's the new ones?! :frust:

It IS quite good BTW. I don't really buy any of the stories covered, apart from possibly the one in the hospital where the stuff's going flying. But they're entertaining.

13. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

I've said it before the he resident arch-skeptic "parapsychologist" puts me off as he rubbishes the nurses testimony and comes up with frankly stupid theories as to what happened.

The guy is a knob. A Skeptic that doesn't apply the rigors of scientific principal to his own theories.

14. Leicester Fortean

Depends what you mean by buying the stories ... a recent FT article included a quote that said something like 'You can believe the witness without believing what the witness is saying' .... and that's the way I see most of the Haunted stories. I do believe most of the witnesses saw what they say they did .. but whether what they saw was 'real' is a whole different matter, and indeed is the point of the podcast, why do people see ghosts?

Personally I found the 100mph ghost episode the creepiest and most plausible, with the hospital one a close second. The least plausible by a mile was the guy doing tours of the ex-prison! The racist ghost didn't wash with me either.

Glad you were entertained anyway, the main reason for listening to any podcast.

Yithian and XEPER_ like this.
  15. XEPER_

It's the guy from Most Haunted I think? Yeah, his explanations were laughable. "It was ultrasound." That hardly explains stuff flying about the room. "That was the cleaner". Yeah, cleaners are doing their rounds in the middle of the night....
    Nonsense.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  16. XEPER_

I did like it, the presenter was good and he did a fine job. I had a look for other podcasts called "Haunted" and tried one that was just 3 women talking a complete load of bollocks in what sounded like a bathroom. Loads of gratuitious swearing, talk of sexy mens' chests and basically just 3 women gossiping. It was atrocious. The episode I listened to was supposed to be about EVP but their drivel was more offensive to my ears than any spooky EVP could ever be.