Photobucket Cash Grab

Discussion in 'Website Issues' started by Yithian, Jun 30, 2017.

1. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Based on over 30 years' online experience (dating back to the pre-Web ARPANET / USENET days ...) I'd have to say ...

Only if 'fun' encompasses the bruised feelings, arguments, and flame wars that motivated the use of emoticons in the first place. I was 'there', and nobody called it 'fun' at the time ...

I can assure you this proved to not be the case even when the online population was essentially limited to relatively educated textually adept (i.e., literate) professionals and academics communicating under little or no time pressure and with almost no means for remaining anonymous.

It's gotten progressively worse since then, as the online population has expanded to include users with the attention span of gnats, the expressed emotional maturity and literacy skills of a child, and a mania for immediacy that prioritizes speedy responses over thoughtful substance. All these factors have been amplified / aggravated with the arrival and proliferation of mobile accessibility.

2. henry

henry still speeding

precisely the kind of people who i imagine would need them !

3. TheLeeds

TheLeeds 8 Pints at Dinner Time

And self sabotage.

I got sick of it when they fixed the site until it was broken, in other words, until the pages refused to load properly, so I haven't used it for years.

4. baleeber

baleeber gullible skeptic

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of images replaced with a marker from Photobucket that says "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

Wondering what this was about, I did some digging and found that last month, Photobucket started a new rule that it will no longer allow people to imbed links from photobucket photos to other sites ... unless you pay about $400 for an upgraded account.

I understand why Photobucket would do this. After all, they don't get ANY ad revenue from imbedded images. They're hosting for free.

That said, they originally got into the business in order to allow people to have free photo hosting.

Now, it's absolutely their right to change their minds, and they have every right to make a buck ... but I'm still sad to see Photobucket go this way.

Does Flickr still work?

5. baleeber

baleeber gullible skeptic

Ah, I didn't realize there was a thread. Thank you, Mods!

Yeah, I'd say Photobucket shot themselves in the foot. I closed my account with them.

6. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Unfortunately, quite a few pictures went down the tubes this way.
    Best to find an alternative service...but how do we know if whatever we use will not go the same way?
    An alternative may be to set up your own website to host whatever images you use on your message board postings...but that could create problems if you don't own the copyright.
    It's still possible to retrieve some images from PhotoBucket - just use a Google image search and then download the image from the Google results thumbnail. Then you can either upload directly to the message board or to a hosting method of your choice.