Phantom Hitchhikers & Road Ghosts

Discussion in 'Ghosts: General' started by Hospitaller, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Hospitaller

Hospitaller Ephemeral Spectre

user_field_phpbb_aol:
    none
    user_field_phpbb_yahoo:
    none
    road wraiths

Anyone ever heard of road wraiths? I heard of them from a colleague from Ulster who told me of her brother's experience with one.
    Apparently they appear as half of a human body. The split can be in any plane, so you can just imagine the horror! He ran one over as it popped up in front of him, and of course when he got out of the car :eek!!!!: it was gone.

2. Hospitaller

Hospitaller Ephemeral Spectre

user_field_phpbb_aol:
    none
    user_field_phpbb_yahoo:
    none
    PS also interested in any other road ghosts people may have heard of, especially in Ireland.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Road Wraiths

Road Wraiths, Road Ghosts, Phantom Road Accident cases, Phantom hitch-hikers - call them what you will: yes, a 'real' phenomenon, in at least real witnesses report such events, the 'reality' and vividness of which are frequently attested to by police investigators who have had to deal with shocked or apalled motorists who have encountered them. A common theme is the figure stepping out or throwing itself under the wheels of an oncoming vehicle, allowing the driver no time to take evasive action. Such encounters (like the related hitch-hiking habit) are found in folk accounts, right through to the present day, where they break through to meet a modern, unsuspecting and sceptical public. The wonder for me is that they have not been generally recognised as the discrete 'ghostly' sub-group that they are - a largely overlooked phenomenon that encompasses and relates parapsychological phenomena (ghosts, etc) to the denizens of our seemingly more outlandish and nonsensical creatures of folklore, to which these ghostly characters bear uncanny resemblance.
    This fascinating subject, with all its hidden depths, is a subject I have studied for many years, and published occasionally on. My own dedicated website to it can be found at http://www.roadghosts.com

By all means, visit, and if you have any new encounters of this kind to report, or simply wish to comment, please visit the site guestbook before you leave.

4. Justin_Anstey

Justin_Anstey Abominable Snowman

http://apegallery.angelfire.com/
    Doc gets a fright, 3/9/1998.

"Hospital doctor Guy Routh got the fright of his life when he stopped to help a beautiful woman on a deserted Cotswold road – he’s convinced the apparition was a ghost.
    The Cheltenham General Hospital anaesthetist was driving home from a meeting with a colleague in Banbury at 10pm on August 26 when he saw the woman standing by the verge on a desolate stretch of the B4068 two miles west of Naunton..."

-Justin.

5. NilesCalder

NilesCalder Justified & Ancient

user_field_phpbb_aol:
    PlanetNiles
    user_field_phpbb_icq:
    A new take on the Phantom Hitchiker :D

From the Scotsman

"There were tales, when I was myself a callow hitchhiking youth, of a ghost car in the Western Isles, of some ancient vintage, driven by a little old ghost man. A few fellas I met did say they saw it with their own eyes, howling along a deserted road at dusk, but none claimed to have been given a lift, exactly. Is such a thing possible? You often hear ghost stories of drivers picking up pale, somewhat uncommunicative ladies dressed in white at the dead of night, driving some way then turning round and seeing there’s no-one in the car at all, but can you get the opposite? Can you get in a ghost car? Or would you just foolishly fall to the road and hear phantom laughter fading into the distance.

If you could get a ride, that would be just the very thing - no pollution, no need for road tax, a car that was perfect for the planet. We’d all have them. Perhaps the global multinationals who control the car market know this to be possible and suppress the technology?"

Niles "Laughing Boy" Calder

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A witty rebuttle...

Oh, I can't be arsed.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

David Gray - author of The Scotsman piece: can you believe they pay the guy to sit on his backside and put out such rubbish?

It's not the Fortean investigator/journalist who's the bedraggled geek, Mr Gray...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can people on bicycles see phantom hitchhikers or road ghost

I know of a case of a gentleman seeing a road ghost whilst pushing his bike up a hill one stormy night. The woman emerged from the hedgerow, walked towards him then veered to the left before vanishing. There is also a hitchhiker case where a chap picked up a girl in a sidecar and a famous Australian case of a phantom motorcycle passenger. Maybe though, in the case of the bicycle incident, the phantom was triggered but could only be perceived as walking instead of going under the vehicle (which wouldn't have made sense, certainly to the witness). Do the witnesses perceive road ghosts in their own way, i.e. faces at car windows, spirits giving a warning, phantoms going under or over the bonnet, ghosts running out into the road and vanishing and those that disappear whilst in the back seat ?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Can people on bicycles see phantom hitchhikers or road g

Andre Coetzee's experience with the Uniondale (South Africa) phantom suggests that cyclists/motorcyclists encounter road ghosts in virtually the same manner as drivers of four-wheeled vehicles. In Coetzee's well-known case, the woman he picked up assumed the pillion seat (equating with the rear-seat-of-car convention of the Phantom Hitch-Hiker legend) of his bike on the N2 highway in 1980 - before vanishing, in so doing re-clipping the helmet he had loaned her back on the rear of his bike and fusing the earphone jack. In the same case, the 'ghost' - said to be the spirit of a young woman killed on the highway on Good Friday, 1968, obeys certain other conventions of folklore attached to (often lone) travellers - namely hopping on or appearing on the vehicle (in the past, it would have been horses and wagons)without invitation (and accosting the motorcylist (with raps on his helmet), or vacating a vehicle with banshee-like screams that curdle the blood).
    In the case to which Neil alludes - that of Blue Bell Hill in Kent (UK) - motorcycles feature in the anecdotal history, and in a case I have on record (from personal interview) that involved a gentleman who encountered a woman standing in the way of his motorcycle (in the middle of the road - another feature common in witness reports worldwide) late one night in 1934. As is the convention, this female figure led this gentleman out of his way (his journey home), to be given a lift to a nearby village (which has been linked with the legend, and where the victim of an obscure murder case on the Hill dating from 1916 was finally buried - in the churchyard adjoining the narrow road where the girl asked to be dropped off and subsequently vanished in 1934).
    The only feature of encounters that can be related to the Phantom Hitch-hiker legend that does not appear to be reflected in two-wheeled vehicle incidents is that of being struck and run over by the vehicle. For that, I now await with patience and interest.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I remember a story from a schools's TV program in the 80's, can't remember if its true, but I think it was.

Went something along the lines of Wirral man stops on motorbike to give girl a lift home from Liverpool to the Wirral. Guess what, she disappears whilst in the Mersey Tunnel. He goes to house to explain she must have fell off but couldn't find her, gets told she died in a motorbike accident.

It's possibly even easier for people on push bikes to 'see' things especially if they put their head down like I used too. ( When I got off the bike I needed about 10 minutes to recover on a good trip home from work. )
    If your pushing that hard your brain sometimes gets less oxygen and your not as focussed on the periphery as usual. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've read 'shoplifters' on the side of shopfitters vans.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Imagine what would happen if you were driving along a lonely road one night and saw a woman by the side of the road (who without you knowing was a phantom hitchhiker) and before reaching her you run out of petrol!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A23 road ghosts. Has anyone heard of any stories?

A friend of mine recently told me about a ghost she saw on the A23, coming north from Brighton and close to the turning for Slaugham, just as the road zigzags up the hill towards Handcross. It was Christmas Eve and she reported seeing a dark figure walk out into the road. It was so close that she cried out to her boyfriend to slam the brakes. At the same moment, the figure disappeared.

I have found reported sightings of a ghostly girl who wears a light raincoat, but these do not fit the description of my friend's sighting. Has anyone seen this or a similar ghost in this area?

13. liveinabin1

liveinabin1 Justified & Ancient

I travel that road a lot but I've never seen anything.

You might want to checkout the last issue of FT though. It was mentioned there.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Emmachan, I've PM'd you with a reply to your query.

Now, for one of my own, fielded to anyone who can help:

Following is the text from a recent Leicester Mercury piece. I've had no reply to inquiries made to the paper to identify the road/spot of this road ghost encounter. Can anyone decipher where they think this might be?

Thanks in advance for any new info.

Hermes

nightmare: The man in grey literally came from nowhere
    Leicester Mercury 03/01/2002

BY CJOHNSTON

spooky: day 200-year-old ghost turned driver's journey into a nightmare

Man on a road to nowhere

He wears a long grey coat and walks slowly and purposefully across the road, for all the world as though traffic had never been invented. Which is reasonable enough for, when the man in grey was a boy, a good horse was a man's best friend.

Today, however, things have changed, and the road that runs along the spine of northern England hums with traffic day and night.

This apparently doesn't worry the man in grey ... who happens to be a 200-year-old ghost!

That's the popular theory, substantiated by dozens of alleged sightings in recent years. Only a few years ago, the apparition was alleged to have been seen three times in one month.

Janet Richards, driving north with three friends on a summer's night in 1974, knew nothing about such stories. They had travelled up from Bedfordshire earlier in the day and now, after a break for a meal, were completing the last stage of their journey.

It was around 9pm when they reached the lonely stretch of road. Dusk was falling and, although the car had its sidelights on, visibility was still good.

The road was narrow but straight and they hadn't seen a car for miles. Recalling the incident, Janet, a deputy headmistress in London, said: "We were travelling fairly slowly, around 40 I would think, and there was the usual chat going on. The road was clear and empty and, all of a sudden, this man appeared.

"He literally came from nowhere != straight out at us, walking very slowly and not looking to the left or right. I braked and swerved and blew the horn, but he just kept coming. It was like a nightmare.

"The other people in the car saw it too, and one of the girls screamed.

"My fiancshift right, Roger, who was sitting in the front with me, shouted: 'My God, we've hit him,' and there was a blur as the grey coat the man was wearing flashed into the windscreen.

"I stopped the car and sat there for a moment, white and shaking. Roger had already opened the door and jumped out and I forced myself to get out too, dreading what I would find.

Bewilderment

"I turned and couldn't believe my eyes. The road was completely empty."

They stood there in bewilderment. Where had the man gone? They walked back and found the skidmarks made by the emergency stop, but there was no sign of the man.

Janet said: "The man couldn't have got off the road because it was bordered by a 10ft-high thorn hedge on one side, and on the other side was a steep bank topped by a stone wall.

"There was dew on the road and on the grass verge and we expected to see footmarks or at least some evidence of the man, but there was nothing."

Could it have been an optical illusion of some sort, caused by the heat of the day?

"No," said Janet. They had all seen the figure at the same time and, afterwards, all the occupants of the car described his clothes in minute detail.

What were they to do? Janet said: "At first, we hesitated whether to report it, thinking people would think us nuts or drunk. We were all sane, and none of us had had any alcohol."

They went back to the car and continued on their way in a shaken and subdued mood. After travelling about four miles, they came to a small town and, needing something to bolster their spirits, went into the local pub.

Janet said: "Suddenly, I felt the urge to tell someone about what had happened. There was an elderly man sitting with his wife at a table and I began to tell him what we had seen.

"I said we were certain we had run down a man who had walked into the path of our car, but that he had disappeared seconds later, leaving no trace.

"To my surprise and relief, my story wasn't treated with the contempt I was convinced it deserved. After I had finished, the man turned to his wife and said: 'It sounds as though they saw the gamekeeper.' He spoke as though it was a perfectly normal happening and I later found the apparition was claimed to be seen quite frequently and had come to be regarded as nothing out of the ordinary!"

What they had seen was supposed to be the ghost of a local gamekeeper who, while walking along that road one night around 1840, was knocked down and fatally injured by a carriage which didn't stop.

Ever since, his ghost is claimed to have been seen from time to time in the exact spot where his body was found.

"The fact that this story was accepted so calmly was almost as chilling as the actual incident," said Janet. "I might tell you that on the return journey, we took care to give that road a very wide berth indeed..."

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Emachan,

I live at the top of Handcross Hill and use the A23 daily. I have not seen anything myself but you have reminded me of an incident when i was at school. A girl there with some friends were driving back to Crawley from Brighton when someone crossed the road, but only she saw it, the rest of the passengers were oblivious to the incident but she was almost hysterical.

It was many years ago I heard the story and cant remember wether it was one person or several together but the car hit them,...or drove through them.....

16. curzone

curzone Junior Acolyte

http://www.myspace.com/curzone
    God, a colleague of mine just told me that the A23 is supposedly the most hunted road in the UK, where ghostly figures include a small girl with no hands or feet, a figure in a white trench coat and a figure in cricketer's clothing! Apparently various paranormal sightings have been reported along the whole length of the A23/M23, from London to Brighton.

I drive up that section of road, back and forth, every day/night but have never seen anything untoward. Admittedly, the section of road going towards Handcross is quite spooky, especially the up hill section through the woods.

It's quite dangerous as well - you have to pick up quite a bit of speed on the downhill to thrust the car up the gradient, whilst manoeuvring around a tight S-bend. I can imagine that there have been a number of accidents on this section of the road.

In fact, a few months ago my girlfriend narrowly missed a stray horse whilst on one of these bends. Apparently there was an accident at the top of the hill involving a truck carrying two horses. One of the horses was killed, whilst the other had escaped, injured and panicking, down the road!!!

Incidentally, after the horse incident mentioned above, my girlfriend decided to avoid the A23 in favour of a longer but more sedate back-road along the B2028 to East Grinstead (She frequently goes this way to visit her parents).

One night she was driving along this route, on a section of road between Gravetye Manor and Saint Hill (Close to the Scientology headquarters), when she came across an unusual hunched old lady walking and zigzagging in and out of the road, it seemed, purposely blocking her way. She was wearing a long old-fashioned dress with what appeared to be a black stubby-pointy brimmed bonnet.

She made various attempts to drive round the old lady before the hag stopped to let her pass. Apparently a beady eyed, wizened face with a creepy smile looked back at her as she passed by!!!

Now to set the scene, it was quite late at night, dark, on a remote road on the outskirts of Ashdown Forrest. The road has always been a bit spooky, so much so that when she's on this bit of road, she usually phones me on her mobile for self-assurance, however on this occasion she didn't.

My girlfriend is extremely level headed and tends not to believe in anything paranormal, but on this occasion she was scared shitless. Anyway, she now thinks that there is a plausible explanation to what she saw and attributes it a Quaker type cult member (of which there are a few in the area) taking an evening stroll.

However, I'm not so sure? Could she have seen a Road Hag or the Cailleach?

:confused:

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not quite true. The source of this idea is in a recent survey result given out by a certain Fortean Times to various press sources following FT's publication of Paul Devereux's The Ghost Road article in FT153. Ahem...turns out there was no such survey -'twas a spur-of-the-moment reply to an unanticipated question.

:rolleyes:

18. curzone

curzone Junior Acolyte

http://www.myspace.com/curzone
    Hermes,

Been to your website a number of times - it's a great site by the way - certainly a lot to take in… After reading about Blue Bell Hill, the A23 does sound very tame in comparison.

Incidentally, my girlfriend's encounter does seem remarkably similar to many of the cases mentioned on your website. Unfortunately she is adamant that what she saw was flesh and blood and not an apparition, although she admits that she felt there was something not quite right about the old lady, she attributed her trepidation to being alone and isolated in spooky surroundings.

However, and I think you will agree, I find it strange for an elderly woman, shrouded in old-fashioned clothing to be walking by her self in the dead of night on a remote road surrounded on each side by dense woodland.

Last night I quizzed my other half about what she saw and it now seems that the old lady was not only walking on the verge of the road, as I first thought, but at times zigzagged in front of the car, in the centre of the road, intently trying to slow her down. She also mentioned that her face reminded her of the wizened young girl from the movie "The Others" (We haven't seen the film but saw a recent preview on TV).

I mentioned in the last thread that I occasionally see women similarly dressed in Quaker type garb in the local area. Although their attire is antiquated, it doesn't seem to resemble my girlfriend's description of what the old lady was wearing.

Although the Quaker type garments are dark, their head-dress tends to be white and looks a little like the type adorned by French maids. As crazy as it sounds, the hag my girlfriend saw seemed to be wearing a black, pointed but stunted witches hat!

There was no sign of a witch's broom, which would probably account for the fact that the hag was walking instead of flying!!!

19. Spookdaddy

Spookdaddy Cuckoo

Paul Devereux mentions several strange happenings connected with the A23 in Haunted Land. Apparently the area around Pyecombe, near the junction of the A23 and A281, is particularly haunted.

Incidentally, there is a fairly well known and very short fictional ghost story called On the Brighton Road by Richard Middleton. I don’t know if the author was influenced by a “real” local story but his story, which was published in 1912, is set on the route of the A23.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A23 ghosts

Thanks Curzone for the comments, and the update re: your girlfriend's encounter. I agree - it's hard to apply the label 'ghost' to a figure that doesn't behave as we expect a ghost to, ie vanish on sight. But noteworthy all the same.

Thanks also to Spook. It'd be interesting to catch up with On the Brighton Road to find out if it contains a recognisable protagonist.

Hermes

:)

21. Spookdaddy

Spookdaddy Cuckoo

Hermes. If you are interested probably the easiest place to find Middleton's story is in The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories. It's actually only about four pages long so you could probably read it in your local bookshop without arousing any suspicion that you were doing anything but browsing.

I re-read it last night and although I have no idea whether it is based on a local story or indeed if Richard Middleton was a local author it is fairly specific on locality. If I remember right it begins twelve miles north of Brighton on the road to London.

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cheers, Spook. I'll check it out.

23. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Bump! Two threads merged.

And a new story: 'Ghost mystery' of accident black spot (Map on webpage.)

"Villagers think a ghost could be to blame for a series of accidents on a country road.
    Locals believe the ghost of a road accident victim from more than 60 years ago could be haunting a stretch of the A465 near Bromyard in Herefordshire.

A farmer says as many as 26 drivers have crashed into his fence in the same place over the last 18 months.

Some motorists have reported mysteriously losing control of the steering.

I'm not ruling anything out as many things go on that people can't explain

Checks on the cambers, speed checks and improved road markings have all failed to stop the crashes.

County councillor Richard James says some motorists who lost control of their vehicles reported the sensation of having their steering wheels pulled from their hands.

Mystery psychic

And a meeting in a country pub added to his suspicion that the supernatural could be to blame for the crashes.

Mr James was in the Crown and Sceptre in Bromyard when a man he had never seen before approached him saying "Don't worry, no-one will die there".

The mystery man, who claimed to be a psychic, told Mr James a woman had died on the road in the 1920s or '30s after a struggle over the steering wheel.

Mr James says he had not previously discussed the crashes with anybody: 'It was a strange conversation and it really freaked me out."

Neil Redding from Hereford lost control of his car on the road and crashed through the fence in July 2002.

"The wheels wouldn't react for a second or so.

"I don't know what it was as I wasn't going fast by any means - 99% of the time it would never have happened.

"I couldn't believe it. The farmer turned up and said 'not another one!'

"I wouldn't say it was anything weird though."

Identical location

The parish council in Stoke Lacy is now seeking the assistance of Reverend Keith Crouch.

The clerk Carole Surman, who called in Mr Crouch, is keeping an open mind.

"'I can't understand it.

"There are no skid marks... people roll their cars but no one ever gets hurt and it's always in exactly the same place.

"Until we know what's causing these accidents we can't stop them from happening," she said. "

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Road Ghost in Cornwall

I normally sit beside my wife when we drive from Truro to the roseland where we lived. On the Probus Bypass (truro to St Austell) my wife sees a girl standing by the side of the road (wearing a floral dress aged around 20) she then appears in our car. I cannot see her but I can smell perfume (different to my wife's) My wife can see her she appears in between the back and front seats. She stays until a certain part of the road. then disapppears and then appears on the side of the road.

She see her every friday nite when we travel back from Truro

25. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Eek! :eek!!!!: That's a bit close to here, but I rarely use that road.

Any other Cornish members had experiences there?

26. marion

marion Ungnoing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marion-Benham-Artist/185741186093
    Thats pretty freaky :eek!!!!:

The local paper has a road ghost story this week- supposed to be a highwayman by the name of Pocock who was around 300 years ago , he was wounded and escaped but died apparently in a secret cave that has now disappeared . His ghost appears on the road between Street and Bridgwater and is seen as a slumped figure on a galloping black horse - the unique aspect of this ghost is that it appears to be galloping on the spot ! The road it is seen on is notorious for unexplained often fatal road crashes , survivors often report having swerved as figures appear in the road .

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

White Road Ghosts ?

One Winter, a couple of years back, I was riding a motorbike along a quiet country lane on the outskirts of Cardiff (not far from St.Fagans), heading home from a friend's house and it was the early hours of the morning. It was very cold but promised to be a quick and pleasant journey as I had not seen a single car on the roads.

As I rounded a bend I was surprised to see a couple walking in the road up ahead (given the late hour and the fact there were no pubs or houses anywhere nearby). The man and woman were dressed entirely in white and the woman appeared to be wearing something akin to a long, flowing wedding dress.

I had to alter my position on the road to avoid hitting them. What struck me most, was the way that even when I was level with them and turned to look at them, I could not make out any detail on either of their faces. They were just white, as if they were wearing white make-up or bandages !?

This could well have been a trick of the light but it did nothing for my nerves and I remember accelerating hard to get away from that stretch of road as fast as possible.

I can honestly say it never occurred to me that they may have been supernatural in origin but reading some of these posts on this thread has made me wonder.

28. Diabolik8

Diabolik8 Ephemeral Spectre

Re: Roadghosts

Speaking of 'hitting' a roadghost, i've always wondered what'd happen if you didn't stop..

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it true that Norway has a road sign for Phantom Hitchhikers?

30. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i drive down Bluebell hill in maidstone 3 times a week at least and have never seen either of the ghosts, though i wish i'd seen them...

As far as i am aware there are supposed to be two ghosts on the hill. There is the hitchhiker who dissapears once in your car and i think its going up the hill there is supposed to be a girl who people think they've run over but is not there when they go back.

just giving some local perspective.

Rhianna :)