people who just... disappear

Discussion in 'Urban Legends/Folklore' started by swelle, Dec 8, 2001.

1. henry

henry still speeding

not much info on the case though is there

2. Peripart

Peripart Justified and Ancient

I thought that at first, but I reckon the bushy moustache adds a few years, and the fact that he's squinting into the sun probably doesn't help. On top of that, my hairline was probably just as far back when I was 40!

balding13 and Naughty_Felid like this.
  3. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Justified and Ancient

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38519456

Rosebud and rynner2 like this.
  4. AgProv

AgProv Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Honington
    ref the Mckeague dissappearance. RAF Honington appears to be a depot for the RAF Regiment - basically the RAF's own infantry and presumably run and trained along Army lines. The very first mental association it provoked was "Deepcut" - the Army base where mysterious deaths happened, which has a history of bullying, abuse of recruits, weak officering and endemic corruption at all levels. Is it just possible this is the RAF's equivalent scandal-in-the-making, RAF management knows it, and this is the reason for things not being as straightforward as they might be - and the suspicion of a cover-up going on? Is this the Air Force answer to Deepcut, I wonder? Interested. Digging.

balding13, Rosebud and rynner2 like this.
  5. AgProv

One unconfirmed account of bad practice at Honington. ARRSE is usually a pretty good barometer of feeling in the military, (being a "grrr..." site for Toms to vent) but it can't be ruled out that this might be a Tom with a grudge who's just stirring. But if true, this story points to bad supervision, bad promotion, incompetent or just can't=be=bothered senior NCO's, and hints at a culture of bullying by bad or over-promoted NCO's who are condoned or actively protected by the machine. Also that the Army's military police appear to have a presence there too, which points to a confused chain of command, always bad news for effective management. See what you think:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/mpgs-raf-honington.124422/

balding13 and Rosebud like this.
  6. AgProv

Gaps in the historical record? Historians piecing together the story of the Roman legions from inception to the end record that legions with a continuous history from the late BC for several hundred years just abruptly dissappear, without trace, in the fifth century. Some of it could be attributed to the activities of Atilla the Hun and other economic migrants from the East - the sort of Glorious Last Stands that are so total that nobody remained to tell the story. You can make pretty shrewd inferences there. But in the chaos and confusion of the last years up until the collapse of 473 AD and the end of the Western Empire; I could visualise a scenario where the last understrength, undermanned, under-resourced, legionnaires draw the correct inference from the fact no orders are arriving from HQ, the ration delivery has ended, and pay parades are a thing of the past. They might not have been assailed by hordes of screaming Huns and saw no fighting. But in a spirit of democracy brought about by adversity, the men and their officers get together, agree it's all over, it's finished, and there's no point any more. They share out the regimental funds among themselves, bury the standards for safekeeping where the enemy can't get them, burn down the fort, shake hands, maybe a last amphora of wine for old times' sake, then discharge themselves and silently walk away as civilians into obscurity. The Empire ends, not with a bang but a whimper. There are accounts of German army units doing pretty much the same in May 1945, after all, discharging themselves as civvies. May the 8th, there's a unit; May the 9th 1945 - nothing.

Coal likes this.
  7. AgProv

Emigrated to Indonesia?

8. AgProv

Confessions time; I "dissappeared" like this for a few years in the early 1990's. It wasn't a complete dissappearance - I did keep in touch with family when I could - but some pretty traumatic things had happened (honesty dictates some of them I brought upon my own head), my time at university had ended badly, and to be honest I wasn't thinking straight, I was probably clinically depressed at the very least. I went off the radar, working at grunt-level in a hotel in an obscure village on the East Anglian coast: lived in. If I'd wanted to completely vanish even from close family there'd have been no art to it. And itinerant hotel work paid in cash - so, so, easy to go off-radar. Came to my senses sometime around 1994, realised I'd hit the pits, and returned to Manchester - a big city was difficult to adapt to after living way on the other side of the back of beyond for so long. But.. I'm here now. And it was an instructive experience, though not one I'd want to repeat. Can't stress enough how easy it would have been to "vanish" even to family.

9. Bigphoot2

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/cops-searching-home-missing-woman-9570365

rynner2 likes this.
  10. Coal

Coal Gone full 'folk festival'

...but it doesn't record how many are then found or return home.

The figure we really need is how many of that 200,000 thousand never turn up alive again (to our knowledge). I imagine that's a much less 'news-worthy' number.

11. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    A new angle?
    Corrie Mckeague: Missing airman 'due to become a father'
    9 January 2017

Missing RAF serviceman Corrie Mckeague is due to become a father, his girlfriend has told the BBC.
    Mr Mckeague, from Fife, vanished after a night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, on 24 September.

April Oliver, 21, had been in a relationship with the 23-year-old, who is based at nearby RAF Honington.
    Ms Oliver, who discovered she was expecting his child two weeks after his disappearance, said: "I've had to make a massive decision by myself."
    "I was hoping and praying that he'd come back so we could make the decision together," personal trainer Miss Oliver, from Norfolk, added.

Mr Mckeague did not know his girlfriend was expecting before he vanished. She discovered the news in October.
    The pair, who met via a dating site, had been together for about five months before Mr Mckeague went missing.

Miss Oliver described him as an "absolute gentleman".
    "He's just the sweetest and most outgoing person I've ever known," she told BBC Look East.
    "There is nothing I would love more than for him to walk through the door and say 'I'm back'."

Miss Oliver said she was on holiday in America when Mr Mckeague went missing, but returned to the UK as soon as she heard the news.
    "I was concerned," she added. "I knew it was out of character. I was quite worried."

She said she decided to speak about her pregnancy so that she could focus on looking after herself and her baby without any intrusion.
    "Most people only tell their close friends but I'm faced with a decision where I need to tell near enough the whole UK.
    "It's hard and it's going to add another level of stress I don't really need but it's something that has to be done," said Miss Oliver.

Mr Mckeague's mother, Nicola Urquhart, went with Miss Oliver for the scan.
    She said: "It's incredibly difficult to bounce my head from the excitement of a new baby to what we're actually trying to focus on, which is finding Corrie."

Mr Mckeague, from Dunfermline, was last seen on CCTV walking alone in Bury St Edmunds at 03:24 BST.
    A team of private investigators, paid for by online crowdfunding, began inquiries on behalf of the family to complement the Suffolk Police investigation on Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38559686

12. Bigphoot2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38568194

rynner2 likes this.
  13. rynner2

That should have brought closure to friends and family, but now there's a twist:
    Josh Clayton death: New probe call after inquest collapses
    11 January 2017

The grieving family of a dead holiday island worker have called for a new police investigation after the collapse of an inquest.
    The inquest into Josh Clayton's death was halted after new claims emerged of a row at a party on the privately-owned Tresco in the Isles of Scilly.
    Devon and Cornwall Police said the new claims would need to be stood up.

But the family had "no confidence" in Devon and Cornwall Police to conduct "an effective investigation".
    The body of Mr Clayton, 23, from Taunton, was found on rocks near Tresco on 23 September 2015, 10 days after he went missing from the party on the privately-owned island.

The staff bash at The Shed venue was organised by Tristan Dorrien-Smith, son of island landlord Robert.
    Partygoer Leroy Thomas said Mr Clayton had been arguing with a group of foreign workers at the party.

Tom Leeper, barrister for the Clayton family, said "erroneous assumptions" that Mr Clayton had not been involved in an altercation at the party, "have resulted in an inadequate investigation to date".

Police barrister Andrew Waters said everyone who attended the party had been spoken to by officers and nobody had mentioned the altercation.
    He said officers had spoken to Mr Thomas twice and the new account would have to be corroborated.

Devon and Cornwall Police said in a statement it was the "first time" it had been made aware of the new claims and "further investigations will be carried out as a result".

Painter and decorator Mr Thomas told the hearing in Plymouth he saw Mr Clayton "ranting and raving" outside the party.
    He also claimed Mr Clayton, who worked at the island's Ruin beach cafe, said he was going to kill himself.
    Mr Thomas said he heard Mr Clayton say he had "had enough" and his bike was thrown into a hedge by the workers.

A bloodstained T-shirt Mr Clayton was wearing had been disposed of on the advice of police, pathologist Dr Russell Delaney told the inquest.
    He said there were no signs of Mr Clayton drowning and the cause of death was "unascertained".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-38583565

The 'foreign workers' were described as Polish on TV. If they returned to Poland after the end of season, it could prove difficult to carry out 'further investigations'.
    Edit: Another article says Mr. Clayton was the manager of the ruin beach cafe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Shady

Shady Furry Purry Paws

A bloodstained T-shirt Mr Clayton was wearing had been disposed of on the advice of police, pathologist Dr Russell Delaney told the inquest.

Why? They cant dispose of evidence

15. rynner2

It begins to seem as if the Police were in Calamity Cop mode on this investigation...

Shady likes this.
  16. Shady

Shady Furry Purry Paws

Or the newspaper screwed up

17. Bigphoot2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38613992

Rosebud and rynner2 like this.
  18. Bigphoot2

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/dogs-trained-sniff-out-bodies-9631768

19. Rosebud

Rosebud Great Old One

There are a couple of threads on Reddit which throw a new light on Corrie McKeague's disappearance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueCrimeDiscussion/comments/5oelmh/corrie_mckeague_swingers_profiles/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueCrimeD...ague_and_the_running_man_a_uk_cctv/?limit=500

I feel very sorry for the family, they have tried their best to get the public on board in the search to find him but the fact that he and his girlfriend were active on a swingers site is going to give the papers a field day.

20. Shady

Shady Furry Purry Paws

So, is the baby his then?
    And, have they dragged the river?