Out Of Place Animals

Discussion in 'Cryptozoology - General' started by JamesWhitehead, Sep 8, 2002.

1. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Banbury dog walker finds 8ft boa constrictor in field
    21 March 2017

A dog walker got "a bit of a surprise" when he found an 8ft (2.4m) boa constrictor in a field, the RSPCA said.
    The animal welfare charity was called on Saturday by a member of the public who found the 12.2kg snake near a housing estate in Banbury.
    The charity said it was not known how it came to be in the field.

Deputy Ch Insp Melanie Fisher said the reptile was now doing well despite the cold weather.
    She added: "I think the caller got a bit of a surprise. It's not every day you stumble upon an 8ft snake while out walking the dog.
    "The snake may have escaped from a vivarium or may have been abandoned. Sadly she's not micro-chipped so we do not know where she has come from."

The owner is urged to get in touch with the RSPCA by calling its inspectorate appeal line.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39346315

ramonmercado likes this.
  2. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

United strike again!

After spending two weeks on vacation in Mexico, Richard and Linda Bell were on a United Airlines flight home from Houston to Calgary on Sunday. They thought their adventure was over — until a scorpion fell from the overhead compartment and on to Richard.

They didn’t immediately recognize the honey-colored, 1.5-inch animal until a passenger sitting next to them pointed out that it was probably a scorpion.

Richard took the scorpion from his hair and dropped it onto his tray. When he picked it up again, the animal stung him. Bell told Global News Canada that it “felt like a wasp sting.” ...

http://www.travelandleisure.com/air...tm_medium=&utm_source=&xid=TrueAnthem_Twitter

3. rynner2

rynner2 Justified and Ancient

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    This adorable video of a puffin rescued in Cornwall being fed in Bude will melt your heart
    By C_Becquart | Posted: April 20, 2017

An adorable puffin has been captured being fed fish in heart-melting footage after it was rescued miles from home in north Cornwall.
    Kaz Cox, a former veterinary nurse, was walking her dog when she noticed the seabird between two rocks near Crooklets beach at Bude.

The small black and white seabirds famous for their clown-like multicoloured bill are rarely seen in Cornwall and generally inhabit islands in South West England.
    Kaz said that it was the first time she had seen one in the area where she walked her dog twice a day.
    "I had never, ever seen one before," she said. "I didn't think it was that small but it is so beautiful."

[​IMG]
    The puffin will soon be back in the wild. Photo: Sue Gear

As soon as she found it she knew she needed to rescue it and call Sue Gear, who is involved with animal rescue and runs the Born to be Wild Facebook group. She is currently taking care of the seabird and filmed the footage showing how she feeds it small fish.

Sue, who works as a receptionist in Bude, has saved a lot of animals in the past, including birds of many species, squirrels and rabbits.
    "I do wildlife rescue," she said. "When Kaz rang me I was on my way to pick up an injured pigeon and an hedgehog."

She said she did some research to make sure she could take care of the puffin before letting it go.
    "We noticed he had a head tilt," she said. "I spoke to people from Lundy Island and did some research to know what puffins eat and need. I am going to feed it for a few days and then will put it back in the wild."

She posted on her Facebook group: "This beautiful puffin was found on middle beach between Crooklets beach and the sea pool this morning by Kaz Cox. I met Kaz in Bude while picking up injured pigeon and sickly hedgehog. Although it is looking great we have been watching and feeding him all and have noticed he has a head tilt, so I an now wondering if it has had a bit of a knock on the head.
    "Time will tell. I am really pleased I have got him to eat his sand eels. That's got to be a positive sign, fingers crossed for this special little bird."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/this-ad...t-your-heart/story-30280156-detail/story.html

GingerTabby and PeteByrdie like this.
  4. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

It's not an ostrich, it's an emu ... NSFW for swearing

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Pigeon related to dodo found on Australian mainland for first time
    The Nicobar pigeon, which is native to islands in Indian and Pacific oceans, was found by Indigenous rangers near Broome
    [​IMG]
    The Nicobar pigeon, which was found on the Dampier Peninsula near Broome by Bardi Jawi Indigenous rangers. Photograph: Kimberley Land Council
    Friday 5 May 2017 09.25 BSTLast modified on Friday 5 May 2017 12.29 BST

A rainbow-coloured pigeon native to islands in the Indian and Pacific oceans has been found on the Australian mainland for the first time, by Indigenous rangers working near Broome.

The Nicobar pigeon, Caloenas nicobarica, the closest living relative to the dodo, is named for India’s Nicobar Islands, more than 4,000km north of Broome.

Its range extends east from those islands across Malaysia and Thailand to the Solomon Islands. Until it was spotted by a team of Bardi Jawa rangers on the Dampier Peninsula near One Arm Point, an Indigenous community 215km north of Broome, the closest it had been found to the Australian mainland was a lone bird sighted on an oil rig in the Timor Sea in 1989.

“They saw it walking across the road about 1,600m away from the Chile Creek community,” Bardi Jawa men’s rangers coordinator Phillip “Bibido” McCarthy said, naming a small seasonal community about 10km from both One Arm Point and Lombadina. “Having grown up around here, and knowing all the birds that are around here, they could tell that this was not an Australian animal.”
    The rangers took a quick photo of the animal on their phone and sent it to McCarthy, who sent it on to the Western Australian authorities.

That was several weeks ago. Since then, there have been a number of other sightings, McCarthy said, with enough differences in the shading of its grey feathers and iridescent rainbow wings to suggest that at least two individuals had taken a sojourn on the Kimberley coastline.

Some have been spotted pecking at native fruit, plentiful after the wet season, while others appear to be foraging on seeds. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...st-time?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lovely place Broome, 1 676 kilometers from Perth by air.

6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Cork public asked to report sightings of rat-like coypu
    Monday, May 15, 2017 by Niall Murray

A metre-long rat-like mammal has been spreading beyond a small Cork river where it is believed they have been breeding over the last two years.

The public is being asked to report sightings of any coypus, sometimes mistaken for otters, after one was spotted in or near the River Lee near the Lee Fields in Cork City a week ago.

It is one of a number seen since last year beyond the Curraheen River, that feeds into the River Lee from the south.

It is believed that two or three of the rodents were released into the Curraheen River two years ago, near the Cork greyhound track in Bishopstown.

Since then, the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NWPS) has trapped around 10 coypus on or near the Curraheen.

But with reports from other locations becoming more frequent, it is now seeking the public’s help to monitor their spread, as it is on a list of major environmental concerns across the EU.

“Their burrowing can undermine river banks and possibly coastal defences, and they can do a lot of damage to crops, especially root crops that they feed on,” said NWPS south-west region conservation ranger, Danny O’Keeffe.

With millions of pounds having to be spent in a decades-long eradication programme in Britain, keeping track of their spread is essential to restrict the potential longer-term costs associated with the invasive species.

The South American natives look like a very large rat, weighing between five and nine kilos, and measuring as long as a metre from the head to the tip of the long tail.

The coypu has dark fur with lighter ends, a white muzzle, long cylindrical tail and distinctive orange or yellow teeth.

While the NWPS has caught several coypus on the Curraheen, they have also got reports of sightings seen in a stream near the old rail viaduct on the Cork-Bandon road, south of the Curraheen and in the Monkstown area of Cork’s lower harbour.

An unconfirmed report also suggests a dead coypu was seen in the northside suburb of Blackpool, which has a number of rivers and streams. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...eport-sightings-of-rat-like-coypu-450106.html