Ouija Boards

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by Anonymous, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Ringo

Ringo 2% fat free

I posted recently about a paranormal investigator who places all ghostly happenings into 3 categories; Hauntings (residual replay where no interaction in possible), Ghost (active entity who can be communicated with and is aware of our presence) and Psychic (our own psychic energies manifesting either in the physical world i.e. poltergeists or just in our minds). I like it. It's neat and all encompassing. Not sure I buy it but it works.

So, given this hypothesis then it "might" be possible (with a huge emphasis on might) that using a Ouija board acts to focus our own inherant psychic energies. By that I mean that the board itself is harmless and cannot be used to communicate with the dead. I have always said so. However, the act of using it, or indeed acting out some other ritual, may allow access to our energies or allow them to focus.

This could then manifest something physical (movement of an object, poltergeist activity) or something more internal (visions, noises, voices etc). Even witnessed by several people who have become "in tune".

This is all wild speculation (both on the reserachers part and mine) but I have also wondered over some of the physical evidence surrounding Ouija boards. The participants unwittingly control the glass on a subconscious level but, if what people claim is true (that they have witnessed other phenomenon; I've never seen any photographs or films - it's all anecdotal) then there must be a reason for that and their own psychic energy creating something seems slightly more plausible to me than dear old departed Aunt Mable coming back to throw a whisky glass around.

EnolaGaia and ramonmercado like this.
  2. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Doesn't even need to be psychic - the subconscious can be powerful at times, especially when you're at prime suggestibility. The fact that Ouija boards started out as a parlour game is significant, I think - was anybody going on about psychic powers back then? I doubt it. It was simply one of those tricks to make you go, "fancy that!" like "pick a card and I'll tell you what it is", that sort of thing.

3. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

Agreed ... An apparent coordination between actions of the operators (pointer-movers) interpreted as a coherent message means nothing with respect to 'psychic' manifestations or powers unless you ascribe them to the operators or the results.

The patented Ouija board was indeed marketed as a game or pastime. However, 'talking boards' had been widely employed in spiritualist circles and as communication aids for the mute prior to Ouija's arrival. Certain divination aids are analogous to talking boards as well.

Ouija was adopted, and eventually co-opted, by folks interested in spiritualism, psychic matters, and divination within the following decades (in the early part of the 20th century). These applications weren't part and parcel of the original inventor's specification for the board's intended usage - or at least he hadn't emphasized them.

It's never been clear to me whether the inventor (Elijah Bond) really considered Ouija a parlor game device versus a way to formally 'own' and commercialize something he'd discovered spiritualists sometimes used. Did spiritualist practices inspire Bond to deliberately devise, patent, and market a tool they might buy, or did the spiritualist / psychic angle get projected onto the Ouija later?

In general, the evidence indicates the latter interpretation (spiritualist / psychic devotees adopted Bond's game). Whether Bond foresaw this - and perhaps was banking on it - is still a mystery to me.

escargot likes this.
  4. Ringo

Ringo 2% fat free

Agreed. However, I was referring to collective experiences apart from the planchette/glass moving, such as objects levitating with multiple witnesses, shadow figures etc. By psychic energy, the author I mentioned meant a natural power of the mind which he just coined as psychic energy. The abiity of the mind to manifest thoughts in the physical world. Thus one or more people creating an actual physical event as oppossed to just a mass hallucination.

As I mentioned, I am a strong disbeliever of spirit communication, Ouija borads, seance and spiritism. I am just putting forth a hypothesis I read and that the ritual and mystique surrounding the board, the focused attention and loaded atmosphere being a trigger.

Coal likes this.
  5. Steve Saker

Steve Saker Fresh Blood

I tried one alone at midnight on halloween......still nothing! story of my life :doh:

escargot and ramonmercado like this.
  6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

You might need some spirits in you to attract the Spirits!

Welcome to the FTMB!

escargot likes this.
  7. Steve Saker

Steve Saker Fresh Blood

Now your talking! Offlicence here I come!

escargot and ramonmercado like this.
  8. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Which reminds me. I have some ready-mixed voddy and lime. Breaking my rules once in a while.

9. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Surely it has to be done with at least 2 people, otherwise there's little doubt you've moved it yourself.

escargot likes this.
  10. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

If the scientific study is accurate, there's little doubt you moved it yourself anyway.

escargot likes this.
  11. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

The late famous astrologer and 'Seeress of Washington' Jeane Dixon (she of the 'Jeane Dixon effect', where wrong prophecies are forgotten and only correct ones remembered) was observed to use a ouija board alone.

She made a fortune let's not knock it! :D

12. Coal

Coal Polymath Renaissance Man

Oh...and I thought she told fortunes...I can see what's happened there.

escargot likes this.
  13. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Heh, she made a fortune by making up fortunes.

Dixon was famous for apparently predicting the JFK assassination. She didn't, but was able to pretend she did because, she reckoned, nobody would print such a prediction before it happened. Her final words just before dying of a heart attack were 'I knew this would happen.'

skinny likes this.