Ouija Boards

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by Anonymous, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tom Blazak

When I was 14 years of age, me and some of my friends had a sleepover and as you do at that age we decided it would be a fun idea to play with a ouija board. We played with it for an hour maybe two before getting bored...

original link containing rest of story is now inactive - sorry... stu

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Didn't FT used to have an advert in the classified ads in a section called 'Toys & Games' for Ouija Boards or am I mixing it up with another magazine?

Either way it's pretty scary that someone is/was marketing these as children's toys.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mere Toys?

In fact, the Ouija board was invented as a parlor toy in the early 20th century, though less formal methods of spirit communication involving pointers and letters date back a bit further. To my knowledge, no product liability suit ("spiritually unsafe as designed") has ever been brought against Parker Brothers.

For more information, see: http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/

4. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

Ouija Boards were indeed marketed as a toy as recently as the
    nineteen seventies. I remember a friend had one and they were
    on display in Boots and other Toy Departments. In the UK, they
    were made by Waddingtons, the biggest games company of the
    day.

This version used arcs of letters and came with a circular plastic
    indicator on felt feet

In the face of opposition from the clergy and tabloid tales of them
    precipitating mental crises among teenagers, they retreated to
    the occult shops.

As is pointed out above, the ouija board was just a convenient
    variation on spirit writing methods. The older methods involved
    recitations of the alphabet at which the spirits would rap to choose
    a letter. The planchette was slightly different: a heart-shaped piece
    of wood on little castors with a pencil stuck in it. This would write
    words or sentences in answer to questions. There were various
    patent variations on the Ouija method, all derived from the glass
    and letter-cards method.

Like dowsing or using pendulums the indicator can seem to have a
    life of its own and the tendency is to regard the messages as a way
    of tapping the subconscious minds of the participants.

In the nineteenth century, there was an industry of spirit writings.
    Victor Hugo and his family, exiled in Jersey, were great enthusiasts,
    messages told of how Hugo's works were received in Heaven and
    read by the angels! :rolleyes:

bloop likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, I have this one on oath from our kid...

About five years ago, my sister went to stay with a friend in Stockport. The friend had just bought an old planchette style board from a junk shop in the old Corn Exchange (pre bomb, obviously). They used this, producing the usual babble, then proceded to get drunk and go to kip.

Sis was woken up at around 3AM by a terrified friend. She couldn't work out what was up until - now, she swears this is true - she heard a noise dowstairs. Bear in mind, they were the only two people in the house...

The noise of the board. Moving. By. Itself.

The rest of the night was spent sitting up with a chair against the door. They took the thing back to the Corn Exchange next day.

The stall holder wasn't surprised; he said something to the effect that this was about the third time it had come back. He also said that he'd heard it move sometimes in the shop.

Hey, I know it all sounds fairly unlikely. But you should see the look on my sister's face if anyone ever suggests doing an Ouija board, even to this day...

6. lucydru

lucydru Ephemeral Spectre

user_field_phpbb_yahoo:
    liberty_x_1981
    Thats why you will never catch me using one, you never know what might happen. And if I had to be in a place with friends who used one then you would get me wearing silver jewellry and sprinkling salt round everyone in a circle.

lucydru

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Kids! Contact the Spirit World in your own home!

Not only were Ouija boards marketed in the 70's and before, but they're now really sought after collectors items. I suspect you'd be able to get £100 for one in good condition!

I have to say I've seen pretty impressive results from Ouija boards in terms of stirring up 'something'. They were very popular in my teenage/student days. Strange effects on audio cassettes, apparently verifiable information etc.

However, only damage I can ever recall being caused by an OUija board was on the university campus. Knowing that some of their friends were going to have an Ouija session, a group of pranksters started tapping on the room windows, and then shut off the power. One student's leg was broken as the seance broke up in panic.

So Kids - Ouija? Just say No! (Thats one rap)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

lucydru why would you wear silver i know to a few of you guy's this may be a bit of a stupid question but i dont quite understand
    casio

9. lucydru

lucydru Ephemeral Spectre

user_field_phpbb_yahoo:
    liberty_x_1981
    Silver is used to protect the wearer from evil.

lucydru

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've not heard of that one. I always thought it was iron that was protective.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, a suit of armour might do the trick. I think in folklore it's different metals for different things, isn't it, although I could be wrong?

Could end up looking like Mr. T if you're not careful.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry - off topic but couldn't resist!

I've lived in plenty of places where it would have quite the opposite effect, especially late at night!

13. Snook25

Snook25 Junior Acolyte

Ponder

Why is it the Oija boards always seem to attract the "bad" things?? You only ever seem to hear things of popele being freaked out by horrible stuff happening. :mad:

14. NilesCalder

NilesCalder Justified & Ancient

user_field_phpbb_aol:
    PlanetNiles
    user_field_phpbb_icq:
    The old axiom of being careful of what you call up ("...'less you can't put it down") is especially true here.

What you call up tends to be what you're expecting and years, in the minds of joe public, of expecting Ouija boards to call forth demons and other evil spirits have biased the boards to bring us the very worst that our subconcious can produce.

And to top it all there are some *really* nasty ultraterrestials/cthuloids out there to mess up your whole day. :D

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good points; also, anything that is bored enough to hang round rooms of drunken students is bound to start behaving badly after a while.

A few times, people I know claim to have contacted benevolent, if miserable spirits. Perhaps it's just a case of the ones that shout loudest getting the attention.

Nice screen name, by the way Niles. I thought that was just me that remembered Doom Patrol.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i did a seesion with a custom board and suddleny my mate's tv went off and a stature of the virgin mary had something which looked like candle wax on her face.we stopped playing because the candle we were using got to about 2 feet high

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mr. Merrilll

Gentle Ones:

I invite your attention to "The Changing Light at Sandover," a huge epic by our poet James Merrill. It is the attempt to morph years of ouija board working into Literature by a poet whom the U.S. is recognizing as one of the 20th Century's great, very, very great American poets.

That he had the cujones to turn ouija work into epic is remarkable enough...that it transformed in great poetry indicates...what? genius?

I invite your attention thereto.

Not as a source of truth -- Merrill is much too fine for THAT -- but as a pointer in the more constructive metaphysical direction....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Evil beings hanging about or just our subconcious very scary

You would n't catch me participating in any activity like that... you cant call me a scaredy cat if you like, but here's what happened to my friend and her brother :

For a variety of reasons they decided to have a ouija board session and made contact with thier uncle, they then asked him if they should be doing this and he said 'no' they then asked why and he replied 'U U U' ... the girl then asked if he was refering to the three people there (the girl, her brother and her boyfriend)meaning you, you and you and he said 'no' - they could get no further communication with thier uncle and asked 'who is there' then came the reply 'U U U'

Needless to say this really scared them and they each left the board in turn.

Very frightening indeed, especially the unknown element of it all. ie that nobody really knows how it works....

19. augustverango

augustverango Ephemeral Spectre

Cheesy Ouija!

When I was about 15, myself and a few friends decided to have a go at making a ouija 'board' with cut out letters on top of an upturned drawer. One of us decided that we should summon the 'spirit' by saying "Spirit of the glass, is there anybody there?", so we all tried and failed to say this without laughing! However, just as it seemed that nothing was going to happen, the glass slowly began to move. This stopped the giggling somewhat, and after we'd all muttered various expletives, we began asking questions. Most of what we asked was utterly dumb and I fail to remember the majority of it. All I do remember is that whatever it was said it was cold a lot and said something about being killed in a car crash! There was a hell of a lot more and one of our group was sat frantically writing everything down as it happened, but these notes, along with the letters themselves were burnt afterwards... Doh!

Anyway, after about an hour or so (at least, that's how it seemed at the time) of us incessantly interrogating our captive guest, things took a nasty turn. Without warning, the glass started to spell out the word 'death' repeatedly, over and over. Needless to say, we all freaked out. It sounds so cheesy now, but at the time, we seriously shat our pants! We apologised profusely, and after we asked if we were forgiven (for whatever we had done to upset it, which was most likely bore it's pants off!) for the fifteenth time, the glass, as slowly as you can imagine, moved to the word 'yes'. We cautiously granted ourselves a sigh of relief and asked it (ever so nicely) to leave and then burnt the evidence.

Since then, Dave, whose house we were in at the time, has said that while sleeping in that room he has seen things moving in the darkness. He's a pretty honest bloke, but after what had happened in there, he was most likely expecting to see something, or saw something entirely explainable that he put down to being associated with the ouija board.

We did do another a few weeks later, but only got gibberish which then claimed to be German (?!), and so we got bored with it and I haven't done one since. :rolleyes:

20. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

I & my family have had LOADS of experiences, good, bad and often downright fascinating, with the old ouija.
    Once at school, aged about 14, I & three pals did a makeshift one with paper letters and a tumbler. The TV star Pete Duel had just died and of course we tried to contact him, asking for something inanimate to move as 'proof'. There was a moment's silence, then a chair in the corner began swivelling round toward us. We let out four big yells and stampeded for the door, scattering letters and tumbler and nearly breaking our necks in the rush.
    More to follow, if anyone's interested.

bloop likes this.
  21. Aben_Zin

Aben_Zin Junior Acolyte

http://www.geocities.com/pfhoreverfaithful
    When I die I want to hang around scaring people withm Ouija boards...
    And when they ask, their voices quivering with surpressed fear and expectation,
    "Is anybody there?"
    immediatly reply NO....

Az

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New York City's Time Square has been cleaned up and now is a tourist paradise. Those of us who knew it 15 or 20 years ago remember walking west and being confronted with just about every human disaster one could imagine...sexual, chemical or spiritual. And disasters in the making. One would see kids of all sexes (depending upon their customers' desires) on the Way Down before reaching 16. And of course the older ones, who'd made perhaps into their wigged out 30's, and were headed deeply into who know what unimagined chaos. One learned quickly never to make eye contact...

Whenever I used a ouija board, which for a while was often, because those damned planchettes literally take off the moment I touch them and their action fascinated friends, I always felt as though I were living on a street level apartment on 42nd Street, and anyone at all could walk in. And do whatever.

Which is exactly how, I think, a ouija board works: it is the psychic equivalent of a Parisian pissoir.

And so long ago I lost interest.

Earlier in this thread I recommended Bob Merrill's work, not to justify ouija, but to show how one person managed to turn crap into literature...

Of course, turned over, the boards do make useable lap trays...suitable for tv dinners.

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A Ouija Theory

I have a theory about Ouija's. And I'm going to tell you whether you like it or not. :)

I have heard a lot of horror stories about the board over the years. And while they are disturbing I doubt that they are evil spirits. I don't believe in evil spirits or demons (that doesn't mean you can't get some spirit that's a jerk like they were when they were alive :) )

We can all agree that a possible theory for Poltergeist activity is unconscious psychic energy from an adolescent living in the home. Is it possible a Ouija board is a doorway for this kind of activity, a focusing device? I've noticed that most cautionary tales about Ouija's revolve around kids aged 12 - 20. Interesting....

It's just a theory....which can also be applied to demonic possession. But I could be terribly, terribly wrong....Bwa Ha Ha Ha!

Michael.

bloop likes this.
  24. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't think your theory's so very off base.

I think, for reasons whatever, ouija opens the channels for any ol' jerk to come through...and most of them, having accomplished little or nothing in their last life, yearn for recognition...and will put on whatever airs they can to get it.

The truly demonic, I expect, would sidle in in ways for more subtle...

What I've never figured out is why the ouija board is so damned efficient...stuff, whatever it is, DOES come through easily.

25. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

protection

iron does protect you from faeries and the wee folk:cool:

26. JamesWhitehead

One of the best documented circles of spirit-writing in the
    late nineteenth century was Victor Hugo & family, in exile on
    Jersey.

A channelled play, supposedly by Shakespeare was once on
    the web at:

http://www.newpara.com/shakespe.htm

but it does not load at the moment. :(

The writings of this circle in tone and subject were very like the
    writings of Hugo. On occasions, he would recognize echoes of
    his own work and leave the circle. Oddly his son could not write
    in the style of his father, except when the spirits dictated. The
    "Shakespeare" play is very strange and surreal with talking
    curtains, lamps and coffin-nails retelling a story of abduction,
    somewhat like Le Roi s'amuse.

Until I can relocate the original page, there is a short account of this
    weird episode in the last section of this page - scroll to the
    bottom, unless fascinated by Verdi's Rigoletto.

http://www.btinternet.com/~j.b.w/rigo2.htm

Another odd musical footnote concerns the madness of Robert
    Schumann. It is fashionable these days to put it down to syphilis
    but some commentators have pointed out that Robert and Clara
    had become enthusiastic table-turners shortly before his breakdown.
    Schumann was already inclined to section off different aspects of
    his personality. When young this was conscious and creative but
    towards the end of his life, the theme "dictated by the angels"
    turned out to be taken from his own Violin Concerto! :rolleyes:

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Herr Piffleinspector:

What a great website you've mounted! It's bookmarked and I'm outta here...Rigoletto DOES fascinate me...and the thesis of his giving his daughter for the etc...blew me away. Plus all that other stuff! Thanks...there goes my Sunday...all I have to do is be careful not to spill iced coffee on that inverted ouija board traying at m'side.

hms

28. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ouija wonders

I remember when I was very young that my mum used to delve into the strange world of strangeness from time to time. She was always interested but there was always a friend she worked with whom new more about stuff than she. Now I found out that he was a young, tall gay guy who must of been about 23 at the time.
    Now we'll fast forward to the next thing I remember which is my brother and I in the corridor of our old maisonette directly outside the front-room door and standing on lots of broken glass. The first thing that had occured to me was that I knew that I was in a very dangerous place and should be taken out of this glass strewn room, but as I am not then there must be some very strange things going on inside.
    We shall now rewind to what happened in there with my mum which she told me later. She and her friend decided to have a ouija 'sesh' and see what happens. Now I don't think my mum would lie about something like this but she recalls, quite vehmently that she called up Hitler or someone also called Hitler. This meeting had them enduring, for quite some time mirrors being broken and things smashing all over the place, mondo carnage. It then later occured to them to ask it to leave but not before leaving the kids safely behind the other door in glass county.
    Anyway I am unharmed psychologically and am also very adamant not to use the board, like ever unless I get very drunk and contract a bad case of the 'Stupids'
    Thanks for reading my story.

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Of the things that we managed to drag up three stood out.

We had the bloke on life support in hospital which was a new twist, and we also managed the aborted foetus of one of the sitters which was dramatic to say the least. The most impressive was the self confessed demon that threatened to kill me on the way home. It missed but I destroyed a perfectly good motorised bicycle and someone was down one very large black dog. No sense of humour these demons.

30. JamesWhitehead

Tut , tut , tut.

Of all the spirits in all the world you folks decide to call up
    a man on life support, an aborted foetus, a demon and
    Adolf bloody Hitler!

Must aim higher. Faust conjured up Helen of Troy! :)

bloop likes this.