Ooh-err... Nasty House

Discussion in 'Ghosts: General' started by KarlD, Jun 16, 2009.

1. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Ahhh, the smell of death. Do we have a thread on this? We should. I've read discussions of it on here and have come across it myself, both personally and from other people's first-hand accounts.

An aunt of mine, quite ill in hospital, was asleep in her bed when she suddenly sat up and said loudly 'I SMELL DEATH!'
    Staff and patients nearby were amused as nobody was poorly enough to be considering a visit from the Reaper except Auntie herself. Within hours, however, lady in the next bed suddenly took a turn for the worse and died .

When I worked in hospitals I noticed the smell that cancer has. It's well-known that some cancers have a physical smell which can be distressing for patients.
    However, on a long-term cancer ward, when a patient went off for a home visit the room would be completely cleared out and everything possible washed or cleaned down, preferable with strong disinfectant, but the aroma would persist: a faint, gaggy, bitter stench. Drove the hardworking staff mad! I privately wondered if it was Death and not cancer that we could smell.

2. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

It would be interesting to try medical detection dogs on this issue. They have been claimed to detect prostate cancer in urine samples with a 93% success rate where PSA testing is - from memory- little better than the flip of a coin.

Wasn't there a case recently where a dog in a hospice was found to be entering only the rooms of those about to die? As a dog lover, I'd hate to be put in a position where I was throwing things at a friendly pooch in order to prevent it from approaching me!

maximus otter

Coal and Frideswide like this.
  3. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

There's Oscar too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_(therapy_cat)

escargot likes this.
  4. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Stephen King's 'Doctor Death' was inspired in part by such a cat. Sadly, the novel is disappointingly short on death-spotting cat-narrative.

When I worked in care homes there were a few institutional pet cats present, all hugely fat from overfeeding! but none was known for picking out dying residents. Or if they were, staff kept it quiet, possibly in case of causing alarm.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  5. Rabbit Will Run

Rabbit Will Run Fresh Blood

The lead up to this story is actually more interesting than the 'on topic' reason I'm writing it, but it's vaguely relevant to the previous few posts so here goes! I suppose the tagline is that my boyfriend and I pulled over in the car and ended up in a care home inhabited by nuns!

We were searching for an old Victorian asylum near to where we currently live as we wanted to explore, for obvious reasons. The buildings were obscured by trees and not visible from the road but as we drove past there was a sign on the grass verge that said "tea and coffee" so my boyfriend pulled sharply into the driveway and we headed in.

We when approached the building it seemed ancient and gothic, with gargoyles and the like, but it turned out that it was relatively modern. The whole place looked closed and I really felt like we were trespassing. He went to scope the place out and I hid in the car. He beckoned to me and I reluctantly followed. As it turned out we'd got the wrong place and this was actually a residential care home for nuns, who lived on the upper floors and a meeting place for the other elderly people who lived in the grounds.

The gentleman on duty was so pleased to have us there as (relatively!) young people and ushered us into a huge, empty reception room and served us with tea. It had the feel of a stately home and we sat awkwardly in a bay window overlooking the grounds. The chap who brought our tea pretty much begged us to come back again. It was a really odd experience! My boyfriend loved it in there and wants to call in every time we drive down that road, but I absolutely hated it! To me the air felt stale and thick, like time was running more slowly (nothing unusual there, I've been to retirement complexes that feel exactly the same) and there was just this awful, awful sweet smell that I took to be death. He couldn't smell it. He tried to persuade me to go back by describing it as feeling exactly like a care home for retired Hammer Horror actors, but even that didn't do the trick! Long story short: smell of death in nun's care home!

6. Ghost In The Machine

Ghost In The Machine Abominable Snowman

Not a house and certainly a place crammed full with dead bodies... (But no physical Smell Of Death) but this calls to mind the church I posted about elsewhere, that I can hardly step foot inside without this horrible, rising sense of sheer panic. I literally want to bolt. I will only go in if husband props the door wide open and I don't like to venture too far in, because it's too far from my escape route. I start to feel physically threatened if I go inside. The end with the altar is the worst.

Now the thing is, I grew up metres from a church and they have always been one of my favourite things (despite lifelong atheism) - to me churches and churchyards are fascinating, wonderful places. I really love them and endlessly visit churches for the history. The churchyard was my playground, growing up - I felt no fear there whatsoever, or inside any church. But this place, I can't do it.

My great grandfather x 5 or so was the parish clerk there for decades in the mid 18thc. I have relatives an ancestors buried in the churchyard and many many direct ancestors and relatives were married there,had their kids christened there. The churchyard doesn't bother me. But the church... it frightens me in a visceral, physical, "Got to leg it NOW!" kind of way. I actually feel a bit sick even thinking about it, now.

The first time I went inside, the feeling just slowly built. Every subsequent time, it's got worse.

Our first and only, as it turned out, venture into home ownership was with a disastrous house we both felt, pretty soon after we moved in, was somehow doomed. We found it had a sealed off cellar with no way down to it, but you could see through a crack in the floor in the cupboard under the stairs...

No-one ever had a remotely supernatural experience in that house. It just seemed sad. The other thing was, we were constantly, inexplicably ill. Which made me think it was infrasound, or something like that, ie: something actual and physical, not 'supernatural' at all. I had illness after illness - never before or since, like we had there. Awful things happened to us in that house and we ended up splitting up but a couple of years later, and over 100 miles away, got back together. We rarely talk about that place. It should have been a happy time in our lives - kids were young, and it was a nice area, and the house doubled in value over just the three or four years we lived there. But we never recovered from losing everything and somehow, at the back of my mind, it's always been the fact we moved to that house. Before that we'd had council houses both of which were absolutely fine. Some places just seem 'bad luck' somehow but am not sure I really even believe in 'luck' as such. I always regretted the day I ever clapped eyes on that house.