Old Church Tap

Discussion in 'Notes & Queries' started by Swifty, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

This isn't very exciting sorry, we took a pic of an old tap in our local church yard today .. I'm thinking it's manufacture date would be around mid 20th century (the lettering looks quite modern) and it's purpose possibly would have been to attach larger hose pipes to it, maybe fire engine use or just to accommodate a larger hose to water the flowers in the grave yard ? ... can anyone help us learn anything more about this tap please ?

oldtap.jpg

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shand_Mason

.. so likely to be a fire engine tap .. although this end (in the picture) of the church was bombed in '42/'43 so I'm thinking it survived the bombing ..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

I think it's a vintage fire hydrant, because Shand, Mason & Co. specialized in fire engines and firefighting equipment. That company name ceased to exist in 1928.

Heavy-duty / industrial valves of this sort could be rebuilt. The different metal colors on the valve assembly might indicate this one was rebuilt at some point - possibly replacing the valve main body alone and re-using the original (presumably pre-1928) hand wheel.

GerdaWordyer, Swifty and RaM like this.
  3. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

Apparently during the later years they got into fire boat hydrant manufacture which would also fit with this being a coastal church .. I like the idea of it being a refurb job, I even know an old fella who was alive to sweep up the bomb rubble the day after the church was hit although I doubt he'll remember this particular tap? .. he still lives just around the back of the church to this day :cool:

GerdaWordyer likes this.
  4. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Since Shand, Mason & Co. were building and marketing entire fire engines, it would make sense that they would also offer valves - or maybe entire hydrant installations - designed to match the hose fittings on their fire engines. Their fire engine business started in the mid-19th century, before there was likely to have been any widespread standards or regulatory specifications.

Swifty likes this.
  5. Mr_Nemo

Mr_Nemo Ephemeral Spectre

Its for delivering pre-blessed font water in bulk. :D

Swifty and ramonmercado like this.
  6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

As paased by the Pope!

Mr_Nemo likes this.
  7. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Ooh, that looks very like a Chubb 5-lever battleship padlock. Very much a WW2 (and Cold War, my era) defence standard.

Many's the time I've greased and cleaned a Chubb 5-lever. The last person has put the padlock back on upside-up, which is wrong...in exposed locations, it should be locked upside-down, to prevent the direct ingress of rainwater. And the keyhole coverleaf should be covering the keyhole (with the foil from a pack o' Woodbines wedged under the leaf, an a')

Swifty likes this.
  8. GerdaWordyer

GerdaWordyer Abominable Snowman

Lovely old infrastructure. It deserves a thank you and a fix.

Swifty likes this.