Obsessional Music Issues

Discussion in 'It Happened To Me!' started by linesmachine, Jun 14, 2010.

1. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
  2. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  3. Vardoger

Vardoger Bring the Beat Back!!

4. Pietro_Mercurios

Pietro_Mercurios Beloved of Ra

I know a few.

A video of Bob Marley doing an acoustic set of, 'Redemption Songs', reduced me to a blubbering jelly, once, at friends.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdHh0vtcRc&feature=fvst

It still pulls me up short. Simple, pure and sincere.

And Bjork's, 'Isobel', had me going, a few years back..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1pWywkE9g

5. cardinaluk

cardinaluk Junior Acolyte

Vaughan Williams

Must also add :

The Lark Ascending or Norfolk Rhapsody #1 by V. Williams

I've listened to Lark Ascending lying in a secluded grassy field on a sunny mid morning. That's an experience which can't be replicated with any other music....perhaps someone knows of a similar piece of beautiful music.

Also Norfolk Rhapsody just makes me think of mid 19th Century Britain and the industrial revolution.....probably the folk songs from this period?

Both are my favourite pieces of music.

6. ginoide

ginoide Abominable Snowman

7. McAvennie

McAvennie Justified & Ancient

Cafe Del Mar by Energy 52.

Wherever I am, however stressed, that track just takes me to a beach, sun setting, trouble free and feeling like I am at one with every living being that has ever existed all at once.

I imagine it is what aliens will be playing on loudspeakers should they ever come and conquer/destroy us.

8. Yithian

Yithian Intergalactic Space Crusader Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Well, it's not obsessional, but it is an instant flashback: the room fades, the eyes glaze over and I'm at my first ever school disco with a redhead who finally kissed me on the last day of junior school. This was playing; that's my excuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiN7c0fqNF8

9. Hypermetropia

Hypermetropia Devoted Cultist

Owner of a Lonely Heart by YES......... helped me out when I got dumped by a rock musician (he ran out when my money ran out). I'm years away from that trauma, but it brings it all back in a flash!

enjoy!

http://youtu.be/sKZ0RzuDXas

10. staticgirl

staticgirl Abominable Snowman

Re: Vaughan Williams

In my mind's eye, I always see a rolling set of low hills like the Yorkshire Wolds. It's really hot and sunny, the corn has turned golden and a little road snakes away from me. It feels like it is the last good summer before WW1....

I always get it with just this piece of music none other. It's my favourite classical piece - I don't like many. I only heard it for the first time a few years ago but I've loved it ever since.
    Every time.

Krepostnoi likes this.
  11. Vardoger

12. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Abominable Snowman

Took me a while to find the proper thread for this, but...

Recently I have been binging on the excellent www.wonderweird.net blog - and I came across this: The Seeburg 1000 Background Music player. And Oh My God, once I heard that, I couldn't get it our of my head:

13. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

Did you know that was his response to the September 11th events in NYC/DC, 2001? Awesome song. Powers.

Spudrick68 likes this.
  14. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

The OP's experience is one that goes beyond nostalgia and general memories of youth, but it happens to me when a song triggers a specific event memory. For instance, Sting's version of Little Wing will always take me back mentally and emotionally to my first experience of sexual intercourse with a young woman I was very much in love with at the time. Can't take much of that album without getting all misty eyed and regretful for innocent love lost. So much water.

15. XBergMann

XBergMann Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet

I have a strange relationship with Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb from their album The Wall.

It has long been one of my all time favourite songs and it is the only song that I can listen to in my head all the way through.

I discovered this on a long train journey when the battery to my mp3 player died and I had nothing to listen to so I closed my eyes and started listening to Comfortably Numb internally as it were.

I have since checked out my accuracy in this regard by starting the song on the mp3 player, turning the volume down to zero listening to it in my head and then turning the music back on after 4 minutes or so only to find that I am at that exact same place in the song as the mp3 player.

Comfortably Numb is the only song I can do this with

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Krepostnoi, David Plankton and skinny like this.
  16. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

Skinny, no i didn't know that about the Joe Strummer song. Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

17. henry

henry still speeding

... while watching wizard of oz

sherbetbizarre likes this.
  18. caspergriswoldbacon

caspergriswoldbacon Fresh Blood

i think we all have songs we play again and again or trigger sad/happy memories from our past, but the only one that really put me seriously out of sorts was a bonus disc called In May that came with the last divine comedy album called foreverland. Now if you don't know the Divine Comedy, they're a sort of camp/serious/funny group and a sort of guilty pleasure for me, but this bonus disk was something quite different. For one it was a sort of an opera (not my thing normally) and tells the story of a guy with cancer writing to his father over the course of his illness. I got through about 5 of the 19 tracks over about 2 days on the way to work, and then i started to realise it was having a really bad effect on me, making me grumpy and basically depressed - to the point i had to stop playing it because it was really upsetting me. Never had that before in my life. Now there are a few tracks that i love, but i have never actually got further than about track 13:p. Anyway i love it what i've listened to, but if you're seriously ill or someone close to you is, maybe give it a miss

Rosebud likes this.
  19. Spartacus Mills

Spartacus Mills Fresh Blood

"1963" by New Order did it for me. They were my favourite band at the time (and, alongside Joy Division, still are) but I was obsessed with that song, feeling an intense and overwhelming sense of melancholy every time I heard it; the music, the lyrics, everything. (No mean feat considering Barney isn't exactly the most "refined" lyricist of all time..)

20. Vardoger

What's discussed here seems to be both eargasms and obsessions.

A song that was both obsessional under a period of the early 80s and eargasmic for me was "House of the Rising Sun" with Santa Esmeralda. Put your headphones on and listen to...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  21. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

That's great. :) It makes me want to conga around the house. :)

22. henry

henry still speeding

jesus, bowling music

23. Vardoger

Don't talk about conga. I hate that Conga song by Miami Sound Machine. I think I got an overdose of it on Skytrax on Sky Channel in the 80s.

Spudrick68 likes this.
  24. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified & Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
    I'll see your Miami Sound Machine and raise you one Black Lace.

25. Vardoger

Black Lace must be in the genre called Dance Band music in Scandinavia. No brain music made just for dancing. Hated by everyone with a slightly better taste in music.
    I raise you one with an example of Scandinavian Dance Band music.

26. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bug Bunny

As I've mentioned elsewhere on here: the first half of Tubular Bells ends in what is for me one of the finest culminations in music, even if I only relatively recently realised that the titular bells do make an appearance before His Vivness invokes them at the climax.

To this day I recall an almost surreally perfect summer's day - the kind we all seem to agree only happened in our childhoods - driving through the bloom-laden English countryside to the Uffington White Horse, with Messrs. Oldfield and Stanshall on the soundtrack. Sublime.

And if I can shift the locus of self-consciously performative regional identity somewhat to the North, I am pleased to bring to your attention Tubular Brass.

27. XBergMann

XBergMann Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet

A singer I can't stand called Vicky Leandros did a version of House of the rising sun which is really very good and ends with an excellent far too short guitar solo.

Vardoger likes this.
  28. birdy

birdy Devoted Cultist

I'm often intensely moved by music when listening on headphones while I'm travelling, nowhere exotic just normal buses or trains etc. Must be something to do with the solitude and lack of other stimulus. It's like my heart bursts, nothing soppy in the lyrics triggers it - it happened most recently with Frankie Knuckles!

Anyway, one of the series' of This is England (the TV version) closes with The Jam's "The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow" and I was so choked up, it was extraordinary. I don't think I knew the song particularly well before that but I've listened to it frequently ever since, we even had it at our wedding disco.

29. Vardoger

My obsession with Houes of the Rising Sun continues...

30. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

In that case, I recommend you track down the longstanding arrangement of 'Amazing Grace' by the venerable gospel group Blind Boys of Alabama.

It's 'Amazing Grace', but sung over the music of 'House of the Rising Sun'. Trust me - it fits so well it's uncanny.

It was the perfect choice of funeral music for my late best friend, a blues fan whose favorite song was HotRS.

There are multiple videos of them performing it over the last few decades to be found on YouTube.