Non-Fortean Films

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Naughty_Felid, Mar 5, 2015.

1. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Sadly the director Alan Clarke died ages ago, but I think you're right, he did prefer the original. It's on the huge (and excellent) box set of Clarke's BBC plays that was released this year, very expensive but maybe you could rent the Scum disc if anyone's keen to check that out alone?

2. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

Kevin Smith's new film Yoga Hosers looks terrible going by the trailers I've seen so far (and I'm an ENORMOUS Kevin Smith fan) .. the stars are his daughter and Johnny Depp's daughter being sassy 13 years olds glued to their phones and laughing at 30 year olds by the looks of it ? ... I appreciate that every one of his films can't be cLERkS etc and that he's branched out into different genres since and I'm not the target audience for this film .... but still? ... this? ... as long as the teens like it I suppose ...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  4. Swifty

I actually enjoy Kevin's massive and eloquent rambles that he peppers with sweary words and fun anecdotes. I haven't listened to this review involving him speaking yet but I imagine it will be more fun than watching the film ? .. his director commentary tracks have all been hilarious so far, I especially enjoyed the Jersey Girl commentary with Jason Mewes talking about how much he wanted to **** Liv Tyler ... amongst other unsavoury things .. anyway, this should be good .. and NSFW

5. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

It's kind of sweet how dedicated Smith is to making his daughter a movie star, but Will Smith tried it with his son and look how horribly that turned out.

graylien likes this.
  6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Silence: Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition but I got the Japanese Inquisition instead. This one being an anti-Christian pogrom. The Jesuits, their acolytes and converts are burned at the stake, beheaded, burned whilst wrapped in straw mats, tortured with boiling water, drowned whilst wrapped in straw mats, hung upside down in pits of offal. Mel Gibson must have had a hand in this script of martyrdom.

The film is set mainly in 17th century Japan, two Jesuit missionaries set out on an ill-advised voyage to Japan hoping to contact their mentor (Liam Neeson) who has apparently become an apostate. Neeson looks like a fallen Jedi, will they be able to bring him back from the dark side.

Beautifully filmed but a tad overlong and certainly not for the squeamish. 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490215/

Naughty_Felid and graylien like this.
  7. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I take Scorsese more seriously as a director than Gibson, but Silence does sound very Passion of the Christ to me.

8. skinny

skinny ~~Sweet Tooth~~

http://www.guruadrian.com/
    I suspect you're not alone in that POV. Scorsese is required reading.

9. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Yeah, it's not exactly an outrageous opinion, but there are similarities in Scorsese's and Gibson's view of punishment and guilt based religion. In Scorsese's horror remake of Cape Fear, the most worrying aspect is that he plainly believes the family deserve their ordeal because it will make them better (more pious) people. I can't say I'm on board with that, but I was brought up with "peace and love" Christianity rather than those two's harsher teachings.

10. Swifty

New (ish) behind the scenes stuff from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

11. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Not sure if this is Fortean or not, but anyone seen Sausage Party? What starts out as a bunch of filthy jokes in a superstore ends up as a meditation on atheism and bringing down the barriers of religion - with sex, if necessary. Didn't expect that from the trailer.

12. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

La La Land: An old style musical which feels refreshingly new. It opens with an LA traffic jam where people happily jump out of their vehicles to sing and dance. The snarl up soon gets back to real life where Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in their first encounter give each other the finger as road rage ensues. Gosling wants to open his own Jazz Club, Stone wants to be an actress.

They move, sing and dance in and out of one another's lives as they pursue their dreams.

Great entertainment! 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3783958/

Ermintruder likes this.
  13. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Snowden: (Saw this 6 weeks ago) The story of a patriot who was moved to reveal the truth about the CIA and nSA. Not because he moved to the Left, rather because he felt the US shouldn't be spying on its allies like Austria and Japan. Not just spying but the CIA planting malwear in Japan's telecommunications and electricity infrastructure in case it ever needed to bring it down.

Also, unlike Assange, Snowden ensured his data was curated, to avoid putting lives at risk.

Snowden was also troubled by level of civilian casualties in drone strikes and how this was being covered up.

Film tells the story, even has Nicholas Cage in a decent cameo. Incidents, characters and names have been changed or a lot of Snowden's ex-colleagues would be in trouble for helping him. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3774114/

14. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Manchester By The Sea: Casey Affleck is troubled. Drinks in bars alone, rejects romantic overtures, picks barfights with strangers; his brother dies and he is unexpectedly made his nephews guardian. Through flashbacks we learn of a past tragedy in Affleck's life and why resettling in Manchester (Massachusetts) would be so difficult for him.

The theme of broken and fragile relationships runs through the film and explains the difficulties Affleck faces with his new responsibilities. Strong performance from Affleck and Lucas Hedges in a breakthrough role as his nephew. 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034228/

15. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

T2 Trainspotting: Dark, but dark with the same humour as the original. Franco has been in prison for the last 20 years, escapes. Spud is back on heroin after turning up to work and various meetings an hour late, he didn't ken Summer Time. Fortunately Rent Boy arrives back after 20 years in Amsterdam to save an ungrateful Spud from suicide. Sick Boy is running blackmail scams with a Bulgarian sexworker, Veronika, after beating the crap our of Rent Boy he accepts the £4,000 he is owed but complains about lack of interest.

Some mad stuff. Sick Boy has a cunning plan to turn the old pub he now runs into a sauna/brothel with Veronika as the Madam and gets Rent Boy involved. They go to a Loyalist Club where they rob bank cards but are then prevailed on to sing a song. Rent Boy improvises a song about No Catholics Being Left and the crowd go wild. Making their escape they clean up on the cards - naturally most of them have 1690 as the PIN.

Diane returns in a cameo, shes a lawyer now, gets Simon out of jail.

Franco is brooding, out for revenge on Rent boy.

Magnificently mad sequel. 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2763304/

16. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Denial: London is a wet, dreary place, it rains there. In fact the rain there is more persistent than the Limerick rain in Angela's Ashes. But in Atlanta, homeplace of Deborah Lipstadt (Rachel Weisz)it is bright and sunny, until David Irving (Timothy Spall) sues Deborah for libel, she called him a liar who faked history.

This is a tale of David versus Goliath, but it is the story where David is evil and Deborah is the moral giant. The next six years sees preparing the defence with Andrew Scott as solicitor Anthony Julius and Tom Wilkinson as barrister Richard Rampton. This is a film where you know the outcome but the building of the defence case makes it into a thriller. But no ordinary thriller, they visit Auchswitz to observe "the scene of the crime". A crime which Holocaust denier David Irving claims never happened.

In an early scene Lipstadt goes jogging and stops at the statue of Boadicea, yes this is our Warrior Queen who will vanquish Irving. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4645330/

17. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Pointed out by Simon Mayo, but type "Did" into Google and see what you get in the predictive text: the Denial story is one worth repeating right now.

18. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Well, I finally bit the bullet and watched Boyhood. I'd been putting it off because I thought it might be too difficult, what with having lived and gone to school in some of the same places and having a son the same age as the main character. It turned out not to be though, just very familiar, which was probably the point.

I get on well with Linklater's plotless existential-type films, so did enjoy this one, and especially loved the ending. I was also tickled that the credulous liquor-store clerk was the same credulous liquor-store clerk as in Dazed and Confused. :) I did think the film was too white, though. Texas simply isn't that white, so if you're going for authenticity, that becomes an issue.

One surprising thing that threw me was because I did know so many of the locations, I could tell when they weren't in the same city they were supposed to be.This is probably common for people who live in areas where films are often shot, but not so much around here.

Al in all, I'd recommend it, especially if you have a taste for Richard Linklater's films.

GerdaWordyer and ramonmercado like this.
  19. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Patricia Arquette's last line is a killer, probably won her the Oscar.

20. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Not to give anything away here, but I feel that the very ending of the film was an indication that Mason was not going to suffer from the same type of crisis his mother did in that scene. With all her struggles, his mother never grasped the same epiphany that Mason did at the end.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017