Non-Fortean films

Discussion in 'Fortean Culture' started by Naughty_Felid, Mar 5, 2015.

1. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Sadly the director Alan Clarke died ages ago, but I think you're right, he did prefer the original. It's on the huge (and excellent) box set of Clarke's BBC plays that was released this year, very expensive but maybe you could rent the Scum disc if anyone's keen to check that out alone?

2. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

Kevin Smith's new film Yoga Hosers looks terrible going by the trailers I've seen so far (and I'm an ENORMOUS Kevin Smith fan) .. the stars are his daughter and Johnny Depp's daughter being sassy 13 years olds glued to their phones and laughing at 30 year olds by the looks of it ? ... I appreciate that every one of his films can't be cLERkS etc and that he's branched out into different genres since and I'm not the target audience for this film .... but still? ... this? ... as long as the teens like it I suppose ...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
  4. Swifty

I actually enjoy Kevin's massive and eloquent rambles that he peppers with sweary words and fun anecdotes. I haven't listened to this review involving him speaking yet but I imagine it will be more fun than watching the film ? .. his director commentary tracks have all been hilarious so far, I especially enjoyed the Jersey Girl commentary with Jason Mewes talking about how much he wanted to **** Liv Tyler ... amongst other unsavoury things .. anyway, this should be good .. and NSFW

5. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

It's kind of sweet how dedicated Smith is to making his daughter a movie star, but Will Smith tried it with his son and look how horribly that turned out.

graylien likes this.
  6. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Silence: Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition but I got the Japanese Inquisition instead. This one being an anti-Christian pogrom. The Jesuits, their acolytes and converts are burned at the stake, beheaded, burned whilst wrapped in straw mats, tortured with boiling water, drowned whilst wrapped in straw mats, hung upside down in pits of offal. Mel Gibson must have had a hand in this script of martyrdom.

The film is set mainly in 17th century Japan, two Jesuit missionaries set out on an ill-advised voyage to Japan hoping to contact their mentor (Liam Neeson) who has apparently become an apostate. Neeson looks like a fallen Jedi, will they be able to bring him back from the dark side.

Beautifully filmed but a tad overlong and certainly not for the squeamish. 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490215/

Naughty_Felid and graylien like this.
  7. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I take Scorsese more seriously as a director than Gibson, but Silence does sound very Passion of the Christ to me.

8. skinny

skinny ____Dál gCais___

I suspect you're not alone in that POV. Scorsese is required reading.

9. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Yeah, it's not exactly an outrageous opinion, but there are similarities in Scorsese's and Gibson's view of punishment and guilt based religion. In Scorsese's horror remake of Cape Fear, the most worrying aspect is that he plainly believes the family deserve their ordeal because it will make them better (more pious) people. I can't say I'm on board with that, but I was brought up with "peace and love" Christianity rather than those two's harsher teachings.

10. Swifty

New (ish) behind the scenes stuff from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

11. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Not sure if this is Fortean or not, but anyone seen Sausage Party? What starts out as a bunch of filthy jokes in a superstore ends up as a meditation on atheism and bringing down the barriers of religion - with sex, if necessary. Didn't expect that from the trailer.

12. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

La La Land: An old style musical which feels refreshingly new. It opens with an LA traffic jam where people happily jump out of their vehicles to sing and dance. The snarl up soon gets back to real life where Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in their first encounter give each other the finger as road rage ensues. Gosling wants to open his own Jazz Club, Stone wants to be an actress.

They move, sing and dance in and out of one another's lives as they pursue their dreams.

Great entertainment! 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3783958/

13. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Snowden: (Saw this 6 weeks ago) The story of a patriot who was moved to reveal the truth about the CIA and nSA. Not because he moved to the Left, rather because he felt the US shouldn't be spying on its allies like Austria and Japan. Not just spying but the CIA planting malwear in Japan's telecommunications and electricity infrastructure in case it ever needed to bring it down.

Also, unlike Assange, Snowden ensured his data was curated, to avoid putting lives at risk.

Snowden was also troubled by level of civilian casualties in drone strikes and how this was being covered up.

Film tells the story, even has Nicholas Cage in a decent cameo. Incidents, characters and names have been changed or a lot of Snowden's ex-colleagues would be in trouble for helping him. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3774114/

14. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Manchester By The Sea: Casey Affleck is troubled. Drinks in bars alone, rejects romantic overtures, picks barfights with strangers; his brother dies and he is unexpectedly made his nephews guardian. Through flashbacks we learn of a past tragedy in Affleck's life and why resettling in Manchester (Massachusetts) would be so difficult for him.

The theme of broken and fragile relationships runs through the film and explains the difficulties Affleck faces with his new responsibilities. Strong performance from Affleck and Lucas Hedges in a breakthrough role as his nephew. 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034228/