No Official Reports Of Puma Sightings In County Cork Despite Rumours

Discussion in 'Cryptozoology: Mystery Quadrupeds' started by ramonmercado, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I'm going to Fountainstown for a week on 18 September and i'll keep an eye out for massive moggies.

Gardai say no official reports of 'Puma' sightings in county Cork despite growing rumours

Friday, September 07, 2018 - 11:30 AM
    By Kyle Lehane

Despite growing rumours of a 'Puma' having been sighted in the Crosshaven / Fountainstown areas of Cork local Gardai have said they have not received any official reports.

In recent days the Neil Prendeville Show on Cork’s RedFM has been fielding calls about unconfirmed sightings of a Puma/Cougar type animal in the Fountainstown/ Crosshaven areas of Cork.

Local animal welfare group, CSPCA, say they have received six credible sightings over the past nine days however Gardai in Crosshaven and Togher told the show that they have not had reports of any such sightings at this point.

Speaking this morning Vincent Cashman from the CSPCA said the reports the group had been receiving were "too credible to ignore."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...unty-cork-despite-growing-rumours-867431.html

2. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

I'm not sure whether CSPCA has received additional reports adding weight to their assessment of 'credibility', but they're now gearing up to take action ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...ssible-cougar-in-Ireland/8161536585981/?sl=12

ramonmercado likes this.
  3. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bug Bunny

Oddly, I can't find any trace of my first posting to these boards - "A solitary paw tapping at the window". @EnolaGaia , one of your many talents is relocating lost threads. That thread describes an encounter which took place in County Cork, not a million miles away from Fota. Big cats were mooted as a possible explanation.

Schrodinger's Zebra likes this.
  4. EnolaGaia

I can't find any trace of such a post. Are you certain about the particulars? When did you first post on FTMB?

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

6. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bug Bunny

Unsure as to exactly when - I'd guess around 2014. I'm very sure of the particulars: my elder daughter remained in our car while the rest of us were visiting friends in County Cork. She later recounted seeing what she could best as a big paw, perhaps feline or simian, tapping the car windows on all sides in rapid succession. The thread was me trying to retell her account as best I could. I think I posted it in IHTM, although in fact IHT her.

7. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I remember that one!

8. EnolaGaia

Nope, no, nothin', nada, nichevo ... :dunno:

The forum database seems to have a record of only about 1/3 of your posts, dating back no farther than July 2014.
    Have you ever posted under a different username?
    Searching from outside yields nothing matching your clues (even without keying on 'Krepostnoi').

9. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bug Bunny

I've always been Krepostnoi. Original, and still the best, although the competition is not intense. I did join and lurk for a while before I started posting, so I wouldn't be too taken aback by an apparent period of silence after my initial registration. So only 1/3 or so of my posts have been preserved? I'm genuinely quite demoralised about that :( Is it just me, or do you know of other people this has affected?

10. EnolaGaia

The forum database seems to index only a portion of your total post count. Whether this means the posts themselves are MIA is a different issue.

During past FTMB software migrations there have been instances of 'carnage', and some of the affected items were posts and / or threads.

It might simply mean that the database has lost the links between a lot of posts you made and your username - in which case any such post would probably be attributed to 'Anonymous' if it survives at all.

11. Yithian

Yithian Parish Watch Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    Hang on.

adlvxz3afnbx.gif

A Solitary Paw Tapping On The Windows:
    http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/a-solitary-paw-tapping-on-the-windows.55765/

It is only necessary to look around us to be convinced that, though everything perishes, nothing is lost.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 2:51 PM
  12. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I won't be going to Cork So I will not be able to hunt ABC down.

13. Schrodinger's Zebra

Schrodinger's Zebra Endearingly bedraggled in the wind

I was just reading that one before I came here! http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/a-solitary-paw-tapping-on-the-windows.55765/

EDIT: Darn it, Yithian beat me to it.

14. Schrodinger's Zebra

Schrodinger's Zebra Endearingly bedraggled in the wind

Me and my family used to see a big white cat when I was younger. We would see it walking along the outside of a wood near the house some distance away.

Never did figure out what it was but it definitely walked like a cat and was that sort of shape, and must've been quite big.