Necrolog

Discussion in 'Fortean News Stories' started by ArthurASCII, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
  2. Bigphoot2

Bigphoot2 Justified and Ancient

3. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

I was growing up with M.L. on the Space 1999 show, called Månbas Alpha on Swedish television. Must have been 9 or 10 y.o. when the show was aired.

Ermintruder and dreeness . like this.
  4. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Martin Landau was a stalwart of science fiction and horror, and made a lot of cheapo examples in his wilderness years, but I too first knew him as Commander Koenig, and he won an Oscar for a brilliant performance as Bela Lugosi, another psychotronic star who had his wilderness years but unlike Landau never recovered from them. Landau was also nearly Mr Spock on Star Trek! RIP.

Ermintruder likes this.
  5. dreeness .

dreeness . Great Old One

link

Vardoger likes this.
  6. Draheste

Draheste Yeti

Space 1999 or Cosmos 1999 as it was called on French TV in the 70's, was one of our favourites series my sister, cousins and I. We used to climb apple trees and pretend they were Eagles going on scary planets. My youngest cousin was inevitably the monster!
    I liked the actors, especially the Professor I found funny at the time. RIP Martin Landau. His name means Pram in french and that made me laugh too!

7. dreeness .

dreeness . Great Old One

When I was living in Toronto, the actor who played the Professor (Barry Morse) lived downtown. He was working on various television shows as a narrator and also he did a lot of voice work. He used to ride his old bike all over the place at night, he was very popular with everybody, very charismatic.

Ermintruder and Draheste like this.
  8. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I see that for a while before he moved to Canada, Barry Morse lived in Peterborough, UK. Interesting to me as I lived there about 16 years ago.

9. dreeness .

dreeness . Great Old One

He really was a great guy. Charming, witty, urbane, courteous, modest, soft-spoken, you know the kind. He had "presence", just walking quietly through a mall would make people notice him. There used to be a vast shopping complex downtown called the Eaton Centre, he would sometimes stroll through there, and when people recognized him ("You were excellent in The Fugitive!") he would just smile and shrug ("You have an excellent memory, that was so terribly long ago.") And he didn't mind at all talking about his career, he seemed to have endless stories and anecdotes, a brilliant natural raconteur.

Ermintruder likes this.
  10. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    A tribute from the Aero Theater in Los Angeles
    AeroTheaterLA.jpg

11. henry

henry still speeding

i missed martin landaus sad passing until just now ... a little known and quite fortean early film of his, welcome home johnny bristol, known by me as charles, vermont, is equal parts jacobs ladder and transdimensional gas station ... also incredible in crimes and misdemeanours woody allens strongest flick for me RIP