'Moonraker's Dolly'—Braces or Not?

Discussion in 'Notes & Queries' started by Zeke Newbold, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Heckler

Heckler The unspeakable mass

To borrow a joke from Young Frankenstein:

"He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker."

2. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

Hmm; it is thirty years since I read Moonraker by Ian Fleming, but I'm pretty sure that neither Jaws or Dolly are in it.

The original book is a pretty low key 1954 technothriller, based on the unlikely premise that the UK would procure an ICBM deterrent from a private contractor. The private contractor turns out to be an ex-Nazi, who turns the missiles against the UK. More like an episode of The Professionals than Star Wars.

Ermintruder likes this.
  3. Heckler

Heckler The unspeakable mass

I was hugely disappointed when I read the Fleming bond books recently, not sure what I was expecting, but I certainly didn't expect how poor most of them are. The Pussy Galore storyline from Goldfinger actually elicited a 'what the fuck' from me, the only reminant of which was the 'You can turn off the charm, it won't work on me' line from the film.

4. Zeke Newbold

Zeke Newbold Carbon based biped.

I agree that the cutting away is too sudden for the braces to have impact. However, one thing that you are forgetting is the actual plot of the film. Hugo Drax's dastardly scheme is to replace existing humanity with a new race of physically perfect superhumans: Jaws is one of his henchmen. It is only following his liasion with Dolly (and a bit of encouragement from Bond) that he turns against Drax. Why? Because he knows that Dolly is not physically perfect and would be one of those slaughtered.

Now, from the film's (juvenile) point of view, how is Dolly physically imperfect? She's a nubile, petite young blonde. Surely -even in the seventies - it wasn't just her glasses!? There would need to be some other indication of imperfectness, such as...braces.

By the way, I'm coming more over to the idea that maybe she didn't ever have braces after all - but what is of interest here (and of the` M.E` overall) is that so may people - including the BBC and die hard Bond fans -are so utterly adamant that she did!

This sort of mass re-engineering of Consensus Reality is of great relevance - and not at all trivial - it could have implications for other types of Fortean phenomena too.

Ermintruder likes this.
  5. henry

henry still speeding

yes the glasses !

6. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Jaws also realised that by Drax's standards, he was also imperfect - not just Dolly.

Ermintruder likes this.
  7. Irishexile

Irishexile Born Slippy

I have to say I've signed up as I, too found this to be the only "genuine feeling" of the ME theory which I couldn't easily rationalise.

I was so sure she had braces... but I reckon it is indeed a combination of an associated other memory (probably from a movie around the same time) with a dolly-lookie-likey character who did have braces (or train tracks as we used to call them); and the very real need most of us have to associate the vague concept that she was somehow inferior and therefore plot-sealing with the difficulty in glasses alone being the inferiority- and of course the cut back between both sets of teeth.

It's such a strong feeling that I can only assume the memory we seem to have, has been cemented by several different processes at work.

Fascinating to actually consider ones memory and why it has formed in the way that it has.

It's very possible that another deeper set of variables is at play here too- subliminal message by accident if you will.

If the particular time frames of the dolly-jaws interactions in question perhaps are coincidentally also congruent to snapshot-memory formation at a chemical level- this kind of stuff isn't really well understood yet and it could be we've all stumbled across an unwitting memory-key of sorts.

Or, on the other hand, it's those pesky space lizards in government manipulating everything to keep us at bay again. Natch.

Re the locking braces movie memory I'm sure the Gomez Addams story is playing with the memory there too as I had the "resolved" feeling when I remembered that's where I "saw" it... perhaps my imagination filled the gap to memory and confused it with an actual scene of witnessing it.

I dare say our imagination (especially in those creative of us) is probably to blame for self-delusion (or should it be dilution) of the original memory, in combination with similarities which, as we age, get copied onto old memories like bad sectors in my old hard drive.

Anyway OT a bit but glad to have found the forum as I definitely remember I had several binders full of FT magazines as a preoccupied youth. i think. ;)

8. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Can we all agree that it would've been better had she been wearing braces?

I just wanted to say something as I haven't been on this thread at all.

9. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

She didn't need them - her teeth were straight.

10. henry

henry still speeding

crooked teeth wouldve been a bridge too far

11. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

But Bond has a licence to drill.

12. Vardoger

Vardoger Skeptical by nature

Absolutely right!

13. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

He's the Man With The Golden Pun.