Missing Persons

Discussion in 'Conspiracy: General' started by Anonymous, Dec 9, 2001.

1. MercuryCrest

MercuryCrest Justified & Ancient Staff Member

http://mercurycrest.deviantart.com/
    Will do. So far I'm halfway through the West one and it's...chilling. There are some really creepy things about a lot of these disappearances.

I plan to do a proper review of the series when I'm finished, so I'll post a link to that.

2. kamalktk

kamalktk Justified & Ancient

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Genette Tate: New hope over Aylesbeare disappearance

Detectives are making another attempt to solve the mystery of the disappearance of Devon schoolgirl Genette Tate almost 36 years ago.
    They have asked prosecutors to look at bringing charges against serial child killer Robert Black.

Genette, 13, vanished while delivering newspapers in Aylesbeare, east Devon, in 1978. Her body has never been found.
    Black was convicted in 2011 of murdering nine-year-old Jennifer Cardy in Northern Ireland, in 1981.

Devon and Cornwall Police have asked the Crown Prosecution Service's Complex Casework Unit to examine whether Black, long considered the prime suspect, can be brought to trial for Genette's murder.

Bad character evidence about his previous child killings was put before the jury during the Cardy trial, a decision which was upheld by the Court of Appeal last year.
    Black had previously been found guilty of murdering three other young girls.

Detectives want to see if such evidence could be used to help bring a case against Black for Genette's disappearance.
    Devon barrister Gavin Collett said: "Evidence like this can have a powerful impact upon a jury."

A senior Devon and Cornwall Police source said that if the attempt to use bad character evidence was unsuccessful, detectives could once again interview Black in prison.
    But, the officer said, it was "a long shot" as Black had previously refused to co-operate.

Tim Swarbrick, a retired Devon and Cornwall Police superintendent, said, "Cases like this are never closed. It would mean a great deal to the police and the community to see the mystery of Genette's disappearance finally solved."

Black was arrested by Devon and Cornwall Police in 2005 in connection with Genette's disappearance but there was insufficient evidence to prosecute him. He is serving multiple life sentences for his crimes.

In a statement, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were "liaising with the Complex Case Unit of the Crown Prosecution Service to ascertain if the 2013 Court of Appeal judgement following the murder of Jennifer Cardy in Northern Ireland [in which Black's conviction and the use of bad character evidence was upheld], has any bearing on the Genette Tate case".
    The force added: "This liaison is still at a very early stage and will take some time to complete."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27643699

4. MercuryCrest

MercuryCrest Justified & Ancient Staff Member

http://mercurycrest.deviantart.com/
  5. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

The condtion now is known as Heatstroke!
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-cal4.htm

"Sailors from temperate climes who were transported into the tropics sometimes suffered a heatstroke, called a calenture, that resulted in temporary insanity. The tale used to be told that weeks of being becalmed in the Doldrums led afflicted sailors to imagine the sea to be the cool green fields of home and that they would try to reach it by jumping overboard."

Link includes literary snippets.

I've spent a lot of time at sea, staring at it (or 'keeping a good look-out', as we quaintly termed it ;) ); also a lot of time on land, staring at the sea (the final straw that decided me to leave the Coastguard was when TPTB moved our Ops Room so that we could barely see the sea!); I've even spent a couple of weeks on a North Sea oil rig, which I left as soon as I could because of the constant noise, which might have driven me mad, in time.

So my experience leads me to dismiss the idea that staring at the sea causes insanity. Heatstroke or other privations of the seafaring life might well lead to mental problems, but if just staring at the sea was enough, cruise ships would lose hundreds of passengers each voyage, and quickly go out of business!

6. amyasleigh

amyasleigh Abominable Snowman

The word "calenture", discussed here, caught my attention. Hitherto, I'd encountered it only once -- long ago, in a ballad by John Masefield, Cape Horn Gospel, telling in "rough sailormen's language", about a disastrous voyage in the environs of South America. One stanza thereof, runs:

"Joe were chippin' a rusty plate a-squattin' upon the deck,
    An' all the watch he had the sun a-singein' him on the neck,
    An' forward he falls at last, he does, an' he lets his mallet go:
    Dead as a nail with a calenture, an' that was the end of Joe."

Reading the above back then, I figured out the meaning of "calenture" from the context: which would indicate that Masefield here, is in the "straightforward heatstroke" camp, minus the "delusion that the sea is fields on terra firma" element.

7. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified & Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    escargot1 likes this.
  8. escargot1

escargot1 Beloved of Ra

What a great post - short and to the point, and intriguing! This is how it's done. ;)

Anyway... I wonder why the girls handed in the bone? I've often seen bones washed up on beaches and assumed that they were from unlucky sheep. Perhaps I should take more notice next time.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  9. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    If I'd found a bone like that, I'd have left it in place and then called out the police.
    Moving it is just daft.

10. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

It could be carried off by the tide or by a dog (police do not always respond in a timely manner). A more careless person might pick it up and throw it into the sea.

11. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified & Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    Someone else might take it home for an amulet o_O I know I'd be torn between the (in my eyes at least) auspiciousness of coming across human bone and my hookey materialism, and thoughts of the guy's family and their right for information & evidence on what happened.

12. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

Genette Tate murder file against Robert Black submitted to CPS

A file of evidence against a man suspected of murdering a schoolgirl almost 40 years ago has been submitted to prosecutors, the BBC has learnt.
    Robert Black - who died in prison in January - was believed to have murdered 13-year-old Genette Tate in Devon in 1978.
    Devon and Cornwall Police said the file runs to "scores of pages".

Genette's body has not been found since she vanished while delivering evening newspapers in Aylesbeare, near Exeter.
    Her case is believed to be the longest running missing person inquiry in Britain.

A senior police source told the BBC: "We would like a clear statement that it [Crown Prosecution Service] would have charged Black with Genette's murder.
    "It's the closest we can now get to justice and might offer some comfort to her family and the community."
    The new file is the result of two years of work by a dedicated group of eight detectives - including some who worked on the original inquiry - from the force's Major Crime Team.

But, John Tate, Genette's father, said: "It's a shame this file was not submitted earlier to the CPS.
    "There was some talk of it being submitted last autumn, then the CPS would have had several months to decide whether to prosecute Black.
    "That would have meant that Black would have died in January knowing that he was going to be put on trial for Genette's murder."
    He added he awaited the "result of the CPS decision with interest".

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35961232

GerdaWordyer likes this.
  13. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

Yeah tough though. Like Scarg says you see it and it might have come from a sheep.

14. Mrs Migs

Mrs Migs Fresh Blood

My dad tells the story of how, as a young lad on the Isle of Wight in the 30's, he found a bone on the beach at Binstead, and took it to school to show his teacher. He - my dad - thought it was an animal bone. The teacher identified it as a human femur, and reckoned it had probably come from the monks graves at Quarr Abbey, where they were being washed away by the sea. He told my dad to take the bone and bury it. Dad, being an eight year old lad, threw it behind the nearest hedge and left it there. I've often wondered if it was actually a bit of a missing person or murder victim. I've also wondered if anyone else found it afterwards....

escargot1 likes this.
  15. Andy X

Andy X Portent

Some human bones, IIRC amounting to a complete skeleton were found by workmen digging up the road not far from me a few months ago. Plod was alerted and a crime scheme established and guarded day and night. A press release stated they were launching a murder enquiry as, worryingly, the skull and other bones had been found wrapped in two plastic bin bags!

Except they hadn't: the workmen had placed them into the bags but apparently it hadn't occured to the attending officers to check such important details. Bones went to a coroner who confirmed they were human and also many hundreds of years old - as was pretty obvious even to the untrained eye. Murder enquiry quietly abandoned...

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    GerdaWordyer and escargot1 like this.
  16. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

Move along, nothing to see here...

17. Andy X

Andy X Portent

18. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Ephemeral Spectre

Reminds me of the time a few weeks back, when local road-builders unearthed an ancient burial ground. In this case, everyone knew exactly what they were dealing with, but check the slightly-misleading headline from the DP (which also popped up verbatim as a link on social media) :eek:

ramonmercado likes this.
  19. GerdaWordyer

GerdaWordyer Abominable Snowman

When I first met my husband, there was a possible femur in the garage just detached from his house. The current and former tenants were pretty sure it was a human femur. As if to confirm its creepiness, all tenant and visiting dogs shunned it; most of them were dogs who were normally delighted by bones.

escargot1, Ulalume and Krepostnoi like this.
  20. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Hoarse Bronzeman

Very intriguing! May I remind you, though, that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who can cope with incomplete information.

21. drbastard

drbastard Chaote

escargot1 likes this.
  22. escargot1

escargot1 Beloved of Ra

There's another line of enquiry closed.

23. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Fascinating, Gerda. :eek:

You've just brought back an old memory. Near our elementary school, right on the other side of the school fence, there was an old shed. It was half rotted away and covered with vegetation, but we could just see inside to what looked like some old bones hanging from rusty chains. I don't know the names of the bones, but it looked like part of a human heel bone suspended from one chain and partial foot and lower leg bones from the other.

Being 10 years old, we used to gather at that part of the fence and just stare at the bones during recess. Eventually a teacher asked what we were doing, so we told her and she had a look. All she said was "ew" and forbade us to go near the fence again, but this gave us the idea that she thought the bones were real and that there might be something sinister about them.

Thinking about it now, I can't see an innocent explanation for those bones being there. At the time, I had told my mother about it and she said it had probably just been a deer, but even at 10 I knew that deer don't have bones like human feet!

This seems like something I ought to follow up on, but no idea who to ask about it now. Perhaps there's a police report somewhere. That is, if anyone ever reported it.

escargot1 and GerdaWordyer like this.
  24. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

Here's a recent follow-on to post #122 above ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170830114820.htm

Coal, ramonmercado and escargot1 like this.
  25. Cochise

Cochise Justified & Ancient

My Grandfather told me that. Oddly not the ex Merchant Navy one but the ex-East End barrowboy one.

Wow, Ulalume, that sounds really bad. Isn't it annoying that adults never tell kids what happened so we are left to work out our (invariably scary!) solutions for ourselves.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Coal likes this.
  26. escargot1

escargot1 Beloved of Ra

Someone (I thought on this thread, but can't find it now) recommended a podcast about missing people. I had a listen and was astounded to find an edition about an American who vanished in China; abducted, it seems, by North Korean agents. Sounds farfetched but apparently it goes on.

The story goes that the North Korean government needs scientists, technicians, engineers etc whom it can't train itself and so it sends out squads to kidnap suitable foreign nationals. The American may have been of interest because he speaks Korean, having been a Mormon missionary in South Korea. He may also have looked like a spy.

Mad, eh!