Minor Strangeness

Discussion in 'It Happened To Me!' started by henry, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    We have a thread for that, too.
    It's called a Vard√łger.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vard√łger

2. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

We have threads on this very subject.

Schrodinger's Zebra likes this.
  3. Waymarker

Waymarker Devoted Cultist

Thanks, I just ran a "False Arrival" search and see the last post in it was 5 years ago!
    That's the problem with ancient threads, people might not even know they exist, and miss seeing them.
    So what shall we do in such cases, go and post in old threads to resurrect them, or start a new thread?
    Meanwhile as this is the "Minor Strangeness" thread I might as well contribute to it with the following theory of mine about "False Arrivals"-

One FA was featured in a TV prog about the paranormal some 25 years ago, where the manager of a small engineering firm was working late on his own one night doing the accounts in the old control tower on a disused airfield where his firm was renting some hangars, when he heard footsteps plodding up the stone stairs and stop outside his door.
    After a short silence he impatiently called out "Well come on in then!", but nobody did. He went and opened the door but there was nobody there.
    Okay here's a theory I developed - we're all born with a "psychic shield" or "force field" or "buffer" around our brains to protect it from assorted supernatural phenomena.
    But if we're engaged in doing something that requires a lot of mental concentration, like me building a fiddly model ship when I had my own FA, and the manager concentrating on his accounts, our "shield" is weakened because we're draining power from it to concentrate on tasks that require a heavy mental workload.
    Hence, both of us experienced false arrivals or "visitations" by - who knows?
    Oh, and here's something else - we hear of students killing themselves after prolonged heavy swotting for exams, so maybe they were concentrating so hard on their studies that mental power was drained from their shield and all sorts of nasties got into their heads...
    Maybe thats why the Sabbath is meant as a rest day for us to relax and re-charge our shields?

4. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/the-vardoger-with-the-phantom-knockers.63540/

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/my-first-person-vardoger.59376/

5. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bohn again.

Might you be willing to tell us more about these?

6. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Bohn again.

It was windy enough for you to notice and mention, though, and that made me raise my eyebrows - if it had been pollen or insects, would it have been windy enough to disperse these? I'm a little perplexed about your new theory, too: how much dust is kicked up by vehicles on a metalled road? It's not something I ever recall seeing in the UK, and I've spent a fair amount of time on the highways and byways.

Schrodinger's Zebra and escargot like this.
  7. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

The roads round here are very dusty at the moment due to farm vehicles and left over sand and salt from cold weather,

I have posted about the ghost sightings on other threads on here so a search should find them, I don't want to pull the thread to far off subject with things I have already posted.

8. Waymarker

Another idea to toss into the playpen-
    Are there perhaps ghosts of OURSELVES walking around out there, as "doubles" or "doppelgangers"?
    Example- Some years ago I went to do some shopping and in one shop the proprietor (who I'd known for a long time) said "You were right".
    Puzzled, I said "Right about what?"
    "You were right about what we were chatting about earlier today" he replied.
    "But I haven't been in here earlier today!" I answered.
    He looked at me funny and I could see he didn't believe me, so we let the matter drop.
    Perhaps my "doppelganger" had been in earlier?

9. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

guess what?

escargot and LazarusMP like this.
  10. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Another Fortean interpretation of his unexpected comment to you is that perhaps he says that to every tenth customer in his shop (or that he selectively identifies 'victims' upon whom to unleash this cunning engagement strategy).

Because it results in cognative dissonance, extended conversation, a subconscious feeling of transferred power to the 'mark' (ie you) that can be statistically shown to result in increased sales ("oh, go on, whilst I'm here chatting to you I will buy that Carrera/parrot/cheese after all") all by way of a displacement activity / inherited apology-as-compensation (your unseen double has been at it again, and you're so sorry, here, have a fistful of banknotes).

There's a defendable argument that sassy shopkeepers with slow shops should apply this strategy to nearly every customer. Place looks busier, ergo more people are attracted in the door.

And of course...he may be telling the truth, on the face of it, if he's a prosopagnosia sufferer (I can't decide if people in retail would acquire this, as an occupational disorder, or, become progressively-better at not getting it wrong)

11. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Many years ago I was often addressed as Mervin by people I did not know, it only happened in one area so I always took it that some poor sod resembled me in that part of town.

Ermintruder, Waymarker and escargot like this.
  12. WanderingFox

WanderingFox Junior Acolyte

TWITTER:
    SkycladFox
    This may just be me missing something obvious, but here goes anyway...

I'm currently staying in my brother's house, looking after his fish and cats while he's away. The early hours of this morning, I stir, and trudge from my room at the back of the first floor, to the bathroom at the back of the ground one. In the process I have to cross the kitchen, and that's where I step in a puddle of liquid.

Naturally, my first thought is that one of the cats has peed on the linoleum floor, but when I turn on the light and take a look, the puddle's colourless and odourless - it's water. Mildly strange thing is, I can't see where it came from. It's not been tracked in by a wet cat, there's nothing spilt on a counter, there's no sign of seepage and dripping from above. While it's very close to the fridge, the latter's working fine, with nothing split or broken inside. The water seems to have materialised from nowhere.

Ideas, anyone?

13. Mythopoeika

Fridge going through a defrost cycle?

14. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Fridges have a drain that runs down to a trough on top of the motor, the pipe to this can block and lead to water running from the fridge.

Another thought, many years ago I was called to a house were every now and then the floor would have water appear in small puddles but sometimes covering the whole floor, they had a few plumbers look at it but no one managed to find were it was coming from, after a bit of experimenting I found that the plastic waste trap had a hairline crack hidden under it's fixing it did not leak in normal use but if a tap had a slow drip it did, anything more and it didn't, they were beginning to think they had a poltergeist but a new fitting exercised it.

Failing that you took a glass of water to bed and spilled it on the way.

Mythopoeika likes this.
  15. Mythopoeika

Yep, that was what I was thinking too.

16. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Is there any DIY way of accessing this pipe? I know it would differ from model to model, but generally.

17. Mythopoeika

Usually, if you pull the fridge away from the wall, it's at the back with a little tray sitting on the floor.

ramonmercado likes this.
  18. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Thanks. I have a built in fridge, so that's out!

19. Mythopoeika

There might be a removable panel at the bottom for front access.

ramonmercado likes this.
  20. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

There's usually a sloping trough molded into the back of the fridge with a hole at the lowest point a length of flexible wire or some such can usually be gently poked down this hole to clear a bock, more stubborn ones need the fridge moving so you can get to the back, it may be open so you can see the pipe or you may have to remove a panel, don't mess with any metal pipes they carry refrigerant.

Mythopoeika and ramonmercado like this.
  21. Mythopoeika

Good advice there.

22. Waymarker

Cheeky poltergeists might be responsible, check this post by somebody in another website-

"I experienced my first apparently paranormal phenomenon at home this week.
    My wife Jo had noticed a water puddle on the kitchen floor in a corner . There are no water pipes in that area, or anything which might have caused it, and was localised more than a foot square, as though it had come up through the stone tiles. She wiped it up and dried the area, then put down sheets of kitchen roll. After about an hour, we checked, and the paper was soggy wet through with more water. Where had the water come from? It was clean and had no odour. I was concerned that we might have to get a builder out in case water was leaking in somehow, from underground, through the concrete tiled floor. We thought a good cupfull must have appeared.
    I cleaned up again, dried the floor, and put down more paper. This remained dry until bedtime, and is still dry today. We are unable to think of a normal explanation.
    A coincidence followed. I flicked the TV channels this afternoon and thought I'd watch a CBS programme about Rescue Mediums. A couple described some paranormal experiences in their house, including water appearing on a floor overnight with no known cause.
    Colin Wilson, a researcher and writer whse work I like, said that there seems to be a relationship between poltergeist and water, especially unexplained water. Example, after poltergeist activity in the Winchester Mansion there would be droplets of water on the floor ranging in size from a dime to a quarter. These unexplained water droplets were in rooms with no windows. Another connection to note is poltergeist activity seems to happen a lot in areas where water is available like kitchens, bathrooms and even underground streams."
    http://www.spiritcharms.co.uk/index.php?/topic/2295-unexplained-water-puddles/

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  23. WanderingFox

TWITTER:
    SkycladFox
    Many thanks for all the input! I must note there was no trace of flow from beneath the fridge, an area that was and remains quite dry. The floor's not exactly glass-flat though, so discharge from the appliance might have managed to pool.

I will admit the poltergeist possibility crossed my mind, as I do know of their apparent affinity with water. You also get a fair amount of random bangs, thumps and clunks in this house, and not all of them can be definitively traced to the other half of its semi-detached pairing. I've heard a few from my brother's room the four times I've looked after his animals, when sitting in the lounge below, and the night of the puddle I thought I heard paws padding down the carpeted stairs, but no cats appeared.

Loath to draw anything from this, though; always mindful of how readily the imagination can get carried away, and this is a fairly old house, so things will likely be shifting and settling. Plus, of course...cats!

24. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Oddly the wife as just complained of the settee in the conservatory being wet, it has a kind of fiber cover and there are little pools of very clear water on it, first thought was I must admit a cat had sneaked in and done the dirty, but what it seems to be is we have a grape vine running along that side and were the leaves are against the plastic roof water is being formed this drops on the settee, never noticed it in the last 10 or so years so maybe the weather is playing some part in this and other happenings.

Schrodinger's Zebra and escargot like this.
  25. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

We use a cervical smear brush, unused of course. I don't know if you can buy them but we get them from a doctor friend.

RaM likes this.
  26. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

We have threads on ''unexplained water' too!

27. gellatly68

gellatly68 Deity upon a velocipede

http://joyofraki.blogspot.com
    There's also, or rather should be, a Fortean Plumbing, Decorating and DIY thread. :pipe:

Krepostnoi and ramonmercado like this.
  28. Schrodinger's Zebra

Schrodinger's Zebra Who put the writing on the walls?

Small oddness occurred yesterday when we were out walking the dogs. We were throwing a tennis ball for Dog2 as we walked, and she dropped it as she ran to catch up with us so we had to go back and look for it (we're used to this, she's still learning bless her).

Mr Zebra had last seen her with the ball in a grassy area beside the path a few yards away so we went back there to look. Because I'm often unsteady on my feet I was watching the ground as I walked and when we got to the edge of the grass there was definitely no ball there.

But then after standing there for only a couple of seconds there was a 'thud' and when I looked down (I'd been gazing further into the grassy area), the tennis ball was suddenly lying right at the edge of the grass, a few inches in front of my feet... :wide:

The thud was the exact noise the ball would make as it landed; but there was nowhere it could have landed from... it seemed for all the world like it just 'dropped back' into our reality.

Thoughts?

29. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

*nods* It just 'dropped back' into your reality.

30. WanderingFox

TWITTER:
    SkycladFox
    Sneaky dog returning it unseen? If you were focused on looking for the ball you might not have registered what the canines were up to. Also, I know how tricky dogs can be - innumerable times I've looked over one shoulder to check on our dog when she's trailing behind, to find no sign of her, then look forwards again and there she suddenly is. I eventually figured out that as I looked round on one side, she was passing me on the other, and it's happened so often I'm convinced she's doing it on purpose to mess with me. :p