Minor Strangeness

Discussion in 'It Happened to Me!' started by henry, Dec 2, 2006.

1. henry

henry still speeding

sure this is long debunked, supposedly a floating gas cannister expelling its contents

2. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

Could the water be hitting something hot or the electrics on the buildings and turning to steam?

That does look more like what we saw but with us it stayed in contact with the ground and
    passed between two buildings at ground level.

3. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

That was my thought on watching the video. Perhaps a fire extinguisher or something. It does look odd though.

4. RaM

RaM Abominable Snowman

I had a Japanese market camper this used gas canisters about twice the size
    of a can of been and not very strongly made I can imagine those getting crushed
    and ruptured among the debris and releasing a cloud of butane but I am not
    sure it would look like that as in would it release a visible cloud.

5. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

It might if it was underwater and the cloud was actually water being sprayed about by the jet of gas.

RaM likes this.
  6. PeteS

PeteS Ephemeral Spectre

Sorry nowhere near techy enough to do that. Note I'm not putting any paranormal interpretation on it. Clouds of steam from our boiler and drain and from the neighbouring properties are a daily sight, but usually in a large column emanating from the outlets going straight up or near horizontal if there's a breeze blowing. This was just briefly a cloud of steam unconnected at the top or bottom presumably trapped momentarily by the weather and the very small enclosed yard. Pity I couldn't film it and lob it on the Tube of You as evidence of the paranormal and collected a few quid ( and probably a few comments saying its just a cloud of steam from a boiler or drain blah blah blah faked etc...)

7. genex17

genex17 Devoted Cultist

I perused the comments and even the more rational differ. "The video was edited, it wasn't there in the original", "car radiator", "fire extinguisher", "gas canister" and "electric wires."

"Thermite" and "crisis actors" did not make the list. ;)

Some days I have to go with "I don't know" although it just looks like steam that dissipated quickly.

PeteS and Peripart like this.
  8. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    YouTube weirdness ... wait for the music :)

9. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

What did I just watch?

10. ginoide

ginoide Abominable Snowman

It's a guy (Giacomo Poretti) from a trio of comedians very popular in italy (aldo, giovanni e giacomo). The character featured here is called Tafazzi and his habit of hitting his balls repeatedly (and apparently enjoying it!) became a symbol of a very Italian trait - self-harming. Literally everybody knows him down here, even people who, like me, never watch tv. It also generated neologisms like "tafazzismo" or the adjective "tafazziano".

11. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

And here was l thinking that it was just the Japanese who are weird.

maximus otter

12. OrsonSwells

OrsonSwells Fresh Blood

Has anyone here ever experienced being woken in the middle of the night by three knocks? It happens to me two or three times a month and of course when I wake up there is nobody there. I know there are all sorts of other connotations, but it feels to me like some kind of auditory hallucination or waking dream - similar to how you can dream of missing a step and wake with a jolt. As I say it happens every so often to me and at first it was a little disconcerting but now I am used to it.

escargot, EnolaGaia and Ermintruder like this.
  13. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

That's happened to me on occasion. It's usually one to three knocks, as if someone's at the front door. There have been instances where it couldn't have been anyone at the door (out of earshot; quick inspection demonstrated no one was there).

I've always presumed it was a variation on the hypnagogic sound phenomena I more often experienced as a loud percussive bang (i.e., 'exploding head syndrome'). Knocking is apparently the most common form of hypnagogic sound effect some folks experience.

MorningAngel, OrsonSwells and Coal like this.
  14. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

So-called "Exploding Head Syndrome" wakes me up sometimes, but usually when it's time to get up, like an alarm clock I suppose. Only one bang at a time, though.

OrsonSwells likes this.
  15. merricat

merricat Junior Acolyte

This happened to me a few years ago shortly before I moved to a new house.
    It initially occurred, at around 3 am and woke me from sleep - just three to five hard, human-like knocks on wood. Knew it wasn’t front door as it was made of pvc, but assumed it was an auditory dream thing, some sort of anxiety quirk, until it happened when I was sat up still watching a film in bed. My cat also heard it and did his usual, long-necked ‘who was that?’ Face.

It happened around 5 times during my last month there, always during the night, sometimes as I slept, but mostly when I was still awake. Checked with neighbours, nothing. Even went out onto road one night to check if anyone was hanging around - rural area, nothing.

Was used to the old house sounds, the pounding central heating, etc, but this sounded so very ‘human’.

Never did figure that one out.

Glad I hadn't read about the late night knocks as portents of death at that time! No deaths occurred, although my father had passed away several months prior to the experience. Make of that what you will!

16. Iris

Iris Justified & Ancient

I used to hear the three knocks a few days before I gave birth to my children, also when one of my friends had hers.

escargot, OrsonSwells and Ermintruder like this.
  17. marksourbutts

marksourbutts Fresh Blood

With me it’s the doorbell. Hasn’t happened in a while, but I used to get woken up by the doorbell being rung; Usually between 2 and 3am. I would wake up with a start, to find my wife fast asleep and the kids still fast asleep in their rooms. On every occasion, any dream I was having didn’t feature a doorbell being rung. It was the doorbell being rung outside of my dream that woke me up.

I’ve put it down to the wiring, but it could also be an auditory hallucination.

Vardoger, Swifty, escargot and 2 others like this.
  18. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

Sorry to change the subject for a second but I've only found out this morning that my late Nan was in fact born in Glasgow, not Edinburgh .. I've only just got my head around the fact that her real name was Mary and not Pat as we called her all my life .. and none of us knew she could play the piano until the nurses at her care home told us she'd been entertaining everyone .. when she wasn't swearing :)

anyway, minor strangeness, as you all were ..

Ermintruder and escargot like this.
  19. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Heh, are you SURE that's your Nan they're on about?

Ermintruder likes this.
  20. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

OrsonSwells and Ermintruder like this.
  21. Swifty

Swifty The Great Glass Elevator

Yeah, it was definitely her ... although she took to calling me Ron towards the end which isn't my name but you just go with it don't you? .. she seemed happy enough.

Ermintruder and escargot like this.
  22. ShadyCavalier

ShadyCavalier Junior Acolyte

There's a blocked up doorway in my bedroom that puzzles me.

The house was built symmetrically, and at first glance I assumed that it was installed to reflect the door to what is now the en suite on the other side of the room.

But there is a gap behind where this door would have been, which is quite deep (about the size of an average person), and typical of Georgian doorframes. Beyond the gap, the wall seems like a modern patch-up, and behind that is the stairwell. As far as I know, the staircase is the original, but I suppose it could have once led into this room and was altered later. The remnants of the hinges suggest the door would have opened into the room, but that would have blocked the pathway of the main door/entryway. The space is too small for it to have been a cupboard.

Sidenote: there is a fake door still in situ in the hallway downstairs. It matches all the other doors in the house, and would open inwards (i.e. away from the hall) if in use. If the door in my room was also fake, why would it not have been designed as if to open outward, away from the room, and toward the stairwell, in the same way as the downstairs one?

Very very minor, but I really wish I could see the house as it originally was, if only to make sense of it all.

23. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

Perhaps that's a real door and you are living in a fake part of the house that can't normally be seen by people from this version of reality. There's someone on the other side pondering you existence.

24. merricat

merricat Junior Acolyte

Not that strange but worth a mention: I often go to sleep wearing fabric, soft headphones (sleep phones) whilst listening to the same, on repeat, soundscape - which I created myself via a mix of subtle white noise and other soft sounds - due to being a light sleeper.

I’ve been doing this for about 2 years now so am very familiar with the sounds, which do not vary; basically a very straightforward white noise mix with no sudden additives such as bird song or crashing waves,etc.

Over the past few weeks I have been woken shortly after drifting off by hearing a loud noise, like a baby cry/laugh or a cat meowing. My cat is usually aleep as is my partner.

Last night’s sounded like a kazoo!

escargot and Ermintruder like this.
  25. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

Yeah, I get that too. :D

PeteS and Ermintruder like this.
  26. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Does your partner enjoy curry?

maximus otter

Mythopoeika and Ermintruder like this.
  27. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

May it please the jury that snoring is the evident elephant in the room. Especially if there's an elephant, asleep, in the room. With blocked sinuses.

Or an under-cover lover, under the covers. With blocked sinuses.

Unless...did you remember let that Yodel driver out of the wardrobe, or is he still in there?

PeteS likes this.
  28. ShadyCavalier

ShadyCavalier Junior Acolyte

Perhaps we're... The Others :parapet:

PeteS, Coal and escargot like this.
  29. Carse

Carse Devoted Cultist

Not sure if this counts as minor strangeness as such but within the space of an hour today walking round town I was passed by three hearses (with coffins inside) and three ambulances (with blue lights flashing). Is this an inauspicious portent..?

PeteS, Coal, escargot and 1 other person like this.
  30. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

If you live in a small city/town then is perhaps a few too many!

PeteS likes this.