Minor Strangeness

Discussion in 'It Happened to Me!' started by henry, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

Ah, so you're in a Russian T-55 battle tank? I assumed you had a Citroen Picasso modified to run on LPG, with a trailer

Old Master Q and Shady like this.
  2. escargot1

escargot1 Beloved of Ra

Just shows, you can't make assumptions.

Ermintruder and Shady like this.
  3. Coal

Coal Sure, we're all wrong. Makes complete sense.

"Battle tank?". Does it have a "shooting gun"?

4. Ermintruder

Ah, yes, but you're on the wrong track if you think it's a meaningless tautology.

A battle tank (or Main Battle Tank) has high mobility and good weight compromise, when compared to either a heavy tank (all fire and limited movement) or a self-propelled gun (which is kind of an unarmoured under-armed nearlytank).

But anyway- apologies for all this AFV erotica. I am neither a wargamer nor a tank enthusiast....but I have had some experiences of tanking.

Rosebud, PeteS, Krepostnoi and 2 others like this.
  5. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Nyet: treetsat' chityri.

maximus otter

Ermintruder likes this.
  6. Fluttermoth

Fluttermoth Mrs Treguard

Going back to strange vibrations...

There's a particular spot in my bedroom where I can hear a distinct buzz. I know where the noise is coming from; it's from a small fish tank I have in there.

But it's only in one place that I can hear that buzz; everywhere else in the room I hear it just as a hum. It's a sort of bubble, about twice the size of my head, from what I can work out from moving my head around.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Ermintruder

This is a node:anti-node of soundwaves, created via reflected pressurefronts and additive/constructive interference from multipoint sources. It's at an accoustic focal point.

@maximus otter ....you may be right, but more likely we're both wrong. Note that the main bogie wheels of a T55 go 2+3, and a T34 go 1+4. Whereas that emoticon has 5 in a row.

Perhaps it's actually a self-propelled gun.

But tanks for your comment anyway, Товарищ

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  8. Fluttermoth

Fluttermoth Mrs Treguard

Thank you! I've been wondering what caused it, since I noticed it a few days ago :)

PeteS and Ermintruder like this.
  9. Ermintruder

If you have two or more flat panel computer monitors (at the office, or at home) try having a conversation on the phone, and then move your head in towards an imaginery focal point about 10"/250mm away from them.

You'll hear a strange echoing/buzz of reflected sound and buzz....it's weird.

PeteS likes this.
  10. escargot1

escargot1 Beloved of Ra

Er, wait, what? We'll need full details, please.

Min Bannister likes this.
  11. Min Bannister

Min Bannister Justified & Ancient

It is teaspoons. I feel that either the teaspoons or myself regularly switch from one teaspooniverse to another leaving me baffled.

It all started some years ago when I was washing the dishes. Whenever I wash the dishes, no matter how hard I try to check for them, when I turn the bowl over a teaspoon falls out. On this fateful day I turned over the bowl and no teaspoon. The jolt this gave me was like electricity and similar to when I found out about dilemna. For the next wee while, there was no teaspoon when suddenly JOLT. The teaspoons returned.

At the moment the washing up teaspoons have left me, taking one of their number with them completely as we only have five of our set of six. I suppose if I just wait we will end up with seven?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  12. skinny

skinny _.~~Blackstar~~._

There's a small business in there somewhere.

13. escargot1

escargot1 Beloved of Ra

At my work depot there is a huge amount of cutlery. It collects there by a natural process from other locations in the industry, like metallic flotsam. We don't mind!

PeteS, GerdaWordyer and Ermintruder like this.
  14. skinny

skinny _.~~Blackstar~~._

It probably comes from where I used to work. Never a bloody spoon when you needed one.

15. gellatly68

gellatly68 Deity upon a velocipede

http://joyofraki.blogspot.com
    Weird..over here in the Alanis Morrisette factory, we're desperate for a knife, but swimming in bloody spoons....

16. Ghost In The Machine

Ghost In The Machine Ephemeral Spectre

Like rain on your wedding day. (Not entirely ironic or even unexpected in England).

But seriously. Sort of. Why metal? Keys in my friends' house. And cutlery too. Min with the teaspoons. And my no doubt oft recounted here experience of metal things (jewellery, watches) spontaneously breaking the night my friend died, years ago... Why metal? Some of you know science words so... is there a theory?

Rosebud, PeteS, GerdaWordyer and 3 others like this.
  17. GingerTabby

GingerTabby Carbon-based life form

Missing cutlery was an ongoing problem in a large organisation where I used to work. It wasn't a Fortean one, though. Many staff members were in the habit of buying food in the cafeteria and returning to their desks to eat but they were lax about returning the dirty cutlery. This obviously became a problem for the cafeteria, and occasionally an email would be sent reminding staff to return these items. The cafeteria manager handled the situation with good humour. The email's subject line was "Fork Amnesty Day." It stated trays would be left in various spots in the main lobby on a certain date. Staff were invited to retrieve the stashes of cutlery from their desks and deposit them anonymously in the trays. No questions asked.

18. Ermintruder

How many do you produce off the conveyor in a day? I must say, the use of a knife does seem a bit harsh.

But, I suppose you've got to ensure that just the strongest Alaniss survive on, into breeding maturity (is the plural Alanii, I hadn't thought of this until now?)

In theory, there might be a theory to explain this.

But my money's on a vague pseudoscientific hypothesis, with limited supporting evidence, thin-but-strident support, a high dependency upon verbal metaphor, superficial peer critique and overt confirmation bias, all within an overall context of flat denial and general equanimity.

(I'm a bit busy up until early next week, but I should be able to fit you in after Tuesday (if it's been advertised elsewhere, and/or someone else takes it before me, that's fine, I totally understand.... !-)):gnome:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. Krepostnoi

Krepostnoi Hoarse Bronzeman

One of my favourite expressions, which I first heard in relation to lugubrious sports commentator Alan Green, is "he's like a man with a fork in a world of soup." My elder daughter, although of an age to savour genuine, non-Morrissettian irony, will - entirely guilelessly and non-disingenuously - reach for a fork with which to eat most things, including soup and ice-cream. (She will at least deign to accept separate bowls for the latter two).

Rosebud, PeteS, escargot1 and 3 others like this.
  20. Ulalume

Ulalume tart of darkness

http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/
    Not a big fan of spoons here, either. In my case, it's probably some infantile trauma related to the taste of pureed apricots. :p

PeteS and Min Bannister like this.
  21. uair01

uair01 Justified & Ancient

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/
    TWITTER:
    uair01
    dream01.png
    I had a topographical dream last night. It was nice.

Ermintruder and Coal like this.
  22. Ermintruder

GPS is often weird in dreams. As is 4G...you can never get a decent bloody signal, no matter how hard you try. Perhaps 5G will work better (or maybe a cup of coffee before bed-time will do the trick)

Of course, the ultimate Long Term Evolution will be for biophones, with GPS, to be neonatally-integrated. This will assist aspiring oneironauts such as yourself to know where your head's at.

Anyway, goodnight, my SIM card is chafing me...

23. MorningAngel

MorningAngel Abominable Snowman

I have a minor strangeness to report. It’s probably got a perfectly innocent explanation but I have no idea what it is.

Do aliens sound like road sweepers? Last week at 01.45 there was what sounded like a static road sweeper (or noo noo as we tend to call them after the Telebubbies’ friend) in my road. I looked out of my window I didn’t have a clear view but I couldn’t see any lights no head lights/tail lights or one of those orange flashing lights. I went downstairs and looked out the windows, nothing. I wasn’t going outside at that time of night. At 02.00 the sound faded and stopped and I didn’t hear anything pull away. It was very strange. If I had heard it during the day I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid but that time of night, it was very odd. It’s hasn’t got cold yet so it wasn’t a gritter, which would have been moving anyway.

Attached Files:

24. Min Bannister

Do you live anywhere near a railway line? A strange loud noise in the middle of the night could be attributed to something going on as happened to us here.

25. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

A teaspoon appeared in our kitchen today. Neither of us know where it came from, it was just lying about. My OH says she thought it was one I had been using, so she ignored it.

It looks like it might be one from a previous set of cutlery but we've been using our current set for years now and thought all of the old set had been thrown out. I was going to upload a photo but hey, it's a spoon.
    Questions I am asking myself are,
    Where has it been?
    How did it suddenly appear on the kitchen worktop?
    Does it matter?
    Can a mouse move a spoon?

Rosebud, PeteS, Ermintruder and 4 others like this.
  26. MorningAngel

I’ve seen them do that on tv. But we’re no where near.

PeteS and Min Bannister like this.
  27. MorningAngel

Usually teaspoons just disappear, it’s unusual for them to come back again.

28. Min Bannister

Argh, I told you! Didn't I tell you? Those teaspoons are up to something.. :headspinner:

29. David Plankton

David Plankton Justified & Ancient

Argh indeed. What does this all mean?

Teaspoons are completely different to eggcups, I know, but I had a vanishing eggcup and while I'm here I might as well mention it. The vanishing part isn't the strange bit though, it was the eggcup itself..

It was originally owned by my great grandparents and was in the shape of an elephant sitting on it's haunches, upright. The bowl for the egg was the top of it's head. It had a trunk (which wasn't sticking out, more in relief) and ears you would expect an elephant to have, but it was the way it was painted - with panda markings - which made it so odd.

Yes, it was cream and black with the eye-spots that pandas have. As I say, it vanished years ago but as a child it always perplexed me a great deal. And still does, if I'm honest.

30. Naughty_Felid

Naughty_Felid No longer interesting

Oi! Don't you be slagging of the Dicker Max, Hetzer, or SU -100 Thank you very much! :incan: