Lucky Escapes

Discussion in 'General Forteana' started by Pietro_Mercurios, Aug 20, 2013.

1. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    Boscastle ankle break woman rescued by webcam 200 miles away
    20 March 2017

A woman who fell and broke her ankle in a remote Cornish village was rescued because a man 200 miles away in Worcester saw her on a live webcam.
    Frankie Davies had gone to Boscastle to do some shopping when she fell "in a heap" on the street and had no mobile signal to call for help.
    She said by "incredible luck" a man watching the webcam saw her and phoned his mother who lives in Boscastle.
    She then helped Mrs Davies who was treated in hospital.

Mrs Davies, from St Teath, had gone into the seaside town to get a present for her son.
    "I crossed over the road and my left foot shot out in front of me and I just went down," she said.

Minutes later Becky Galvin, who lives in Boscastle, got a call from her son in Worcester.
    "I suddenly noticed this lady coming to me and we hobbled back to her place," said Mrs Davies.
    "It was amazing that someone in Worcester saw me lying there and and phoned his mum to say 'Can you help her?'"
    She said there was nobody around as the weather was bad.
    "I was in a lot of pain, so just laid there getting my breath, unable to move hoping things would improve.

"It just shows you how lovely people are really at heart doesn't it?
    "They are absolutely wonderful people."
    And she did not know there was a webcam, at the Riverside Hotel.

Owner Ross said: "I love the webcam, it was installed for visitors and friends to keep in touch with Boscastle.
    "It's used all round the world and it's great that it's been used to help this particular lady."
    Mrs Galvin and her son were unavailable for immediate comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-39331354

Swifty and GingerTabby like this.
  2. gellatly68

gellatly68 Deity upon a velocipede

http://joyofraki.blogspot.com
    How about this for a lucky escape!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng.../cctv-footage-shows-man-hit-by-bus-in-reading
    The bit I like is how the guy stands up and saunters into The Purple Turtle (the door he ends up in front of) for probably the most well-deserved pint in the world....

3. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    It's just amazing that he wasn't badly hurt. I hope he got himself checked out in hospital.

4. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

A young woman miraculously survived falling from a fourth floor window after she was caught in some power lines.

The woman, who has not been named, was seen dangling upside down after her feet and legs got caught up in the cables in the city of Benxi in north-eastern China’s Liaoning Province.

She was apparently washing the windows of her flat when she lost her balance and fell.

Her horrified husband was at home with her at the time, but was unable to catch her.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/woman...r-cables-stop-her-fall-6754485/#ixzz4lxjzfQj9

Now that is a lucky escape! Careful when you're washing windows!

5. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

A lucky pilot has told of his miracle escape when he plummeted 2,300ft to earth after a wing on his microlight collapsed in mid-air.

Eric Rhodes, 57, managed to radio his wife Denise, 65, as his aircraft was falling to tell her: “I love you lots, sweetheart. Goodbye, I’m going to die.”

Incredibly, seconds before he hit the ground, Eric managed to manoeuvre the two-seater microlight to avoid two lakes and a cluster of trees to crash land in a field.

Fortunately, the father-of-six was just two miles away from the Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Air Ambulance, who were at a nearby fete and tended to him.

Staggeringly, a party guest of the farm Eric touched down on was a doctor, who rushed over to the scene in the farmer’s 4X4 to help him.

It is thought the crash happened when the wing folded in on itself due to either turbulence or a small hairline crack as Eric flew towards Boston, Lincs.

Eric escaped with several fractured ribs and vertebra, a punctured lung and an injured right shoulder which was wrenched from its socket.

Doctors at the major trauma unit at Queen’s Medical Centre, in Nottingham, expressed their amazement at the miracle survival following the crash at 4.15pm on May 28. ...

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/mu...escape-plummeting-nearly-half-mile-sky/06/07/

rynner2 likes this.
  6. Yithian

Yithian Incredulous Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    The awful writing--make it stop!

It is staggering that a party guest should be a doctor? I should have thought doctors get invited to plenty of parties.
    Haven't they ever read Richard Gordon...

Several vertebra?

Doctors [...] expressed their amazement at the miracle survival following the crash at 4.15pm on May 28.

When else would they express their amazement?
    I would be amazed if they expressed their amazement at his survival prior to the crash!

leslie-neilsen-your-husband-wasnt-dead-then.jpg

7. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

8. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

That can't have been good in the Texas heat.

9. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

Dramatic rescue as 'incapacitated' man in just his PANTS dangles from electricity pylon 65ft above ground

How he managed to avoid electrocution is remarkable.

[​IMG]

escargot likes this.
  10. Coal

Coal Polymath Renaissance Man

No return path.

Mythopoeika and escargot like this.
  11. Mythopoeika

Just as well he didn't try peeing.

12. JamesWhitehead

Waking up pissed having climbed a pylon is something new to worry about . . .

I need to self-medicate. "pcheers:

13. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

I guess this guy had a lucky escape from death even if he did suffer a head injury. He didn't escape from the police though.

A Wisconsin man wanted for a parole violation tried to hide from police in a communal recycling bin — only to suffer a serious head injury when he was dumped into a recycling truck with the rest of the dumpster's contents.

The drama began Tuesday morning when an Appleton police officer noticed a disturbance in a parking lot. As he approached the suspect, identified only as a 36-year-old man, ran out of a vehicle and climbed a fence into a residential neighborhood.

The short time later, the recycling truck's driver contacted police to report that he had heard yelling coming from the back of the truck. The suspect crawled out of the hopper and ran after the driver stopped the truck ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...n-gets-dumped-into-recycling-truck/ar-AArpNkU

14. GingerTabby

GingerTabby Carbon-based life form

JamesWhitehead likes this.
  15. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

GingerTabby likes this.
  16. JamesWhitehead

Very odd. Was he ringing when he got drawn up the tower? I don't see how that would raise him so high!

Maybe he responded to a dare to climb up there? :angel:

GingerTabby and escargot like this.
  17. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

I thought that this kind of thing only happened in comedies.

There is an interesting article about bell ringing from the Scientific American. There have been accidents bell ringing apparently, including a bloke who broke his collar bone when his keys got caught in the rope, hoisted him three feet off the floor and sent him to the floor.

As you say, no idea how he ended up so high.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...science-of-mysteries-for-whom-the-bells-toll/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    ramonmercado and escargot like this.
  18. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

It happens. It's usually a combination of drunkenness and bravado.

Some years ago an Oxford student drunkenly climbed a crane after a night out, fell off and was killed.
    200ft crane fall kills student

Another student did the same thing last year in Manchester.
    Heartbroken brother talks about student Charlie Bartlett who died after falling from city centre crane

19. Dr_Baltar

Dr_Baltar Left Foot of God

Huge ice block falls from sky and lands just feet from street cleaner

A street cleaner was almost crushed to death by a huge ice block that fell from the sky in Kew Gardens. Serhiy Mysehkov was working under a flight path to Heathrow yesterday when a giant 20kg sheet of ice crashed beside him. Amir Khan, 39, who had stopped near the incident in his car, managed to capture the dramatic moment on his car’s security camera at around 9am.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/09/huge-ice-block-falls-sky-lands-just-feet-street-cleaner-7299735/

Swifty likes this.
  20. cycleboy2

cycleboy2 Ephemeral Spectre

There's better, sharper footage on the Independent website, from a shop's security camera. And though not one for conspiracy theories/questioning the veracity of footage like this, I'm wondering why the footage in the Metro was being shot. The camera is moving - surely it would be stationery if in the car - and appears to be pointing exactly at where the ice falls as if it was expected. Just wondering...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...flight-path-kew-serhiy-myeshkov-a8203526.html

Swifty likes this.
  21. mrpoultice

mrpoultice Ephemeral Spectre

The collective-bored-curious hive mind over at Reddit, have possibly (but by no way officially) identified a likely passenger jet that this might have dropped off.

https://np.reddit.com/r/nevertellmetheodds/comments/7wlys4/chunk_of_ice_falls_off_airplane/du1imsc/

22. mrpoultice

mrpoultice Ephemeral Spectre

Simple reason, is it's the same video, but someone is filming the fixed security camera footage (presumably off a monitor) using their hand held mobile phone. Probably because they wanted to share it, but couldn't be hassled / didn't have permissions / tech know-how to download the original Cam data.

23. cycleboy2

cycleboy2 Ephemeral Spectre

Occurred to me last night in bed that might have been the case - should have checked that at the time...

24. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

25. Waymarker

Waymarker Devoted Cultist

News quote- "A Chinese passenger jet was forced into an emergency landing after its windscreen blew out at 32,000ft (9,753m), sucking the co-pilot halfway out of the plane"
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Confucius he say- "Should have done seat belt up"

26. Mythopoeika

He did.

27. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

According to the report I read, he did have his seat belt on & that's what stopped him disappearing out of the window altogether.

28. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I imagine if both pilot and co-pilot didn't have their seatbelts on, that would have been some Airport 1975 shit right there.