Lost: Malaysia Airlines—Flight MH-370

Discussion in 'General Forteana' started by rynner2, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Kingsize Wombat

Kingsize Wombat Abominable Snowman

Oh ok, I was talking more about in flight rather than take off and landing.

Coal likes this.
  2. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

It seems a new search effort will soon get underway ...

SOURCE: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/missing-plane-u-firm-uses-080019949.html

AlchoPwn and Ermintruder like this.
  3. cycleboy2

cycleboy2 Abominable Snowman

AlchoPwn, Rosebud and Kingsize Wombat like this.
  4. Kingsize Wombat

Odd. Maybe they found "something" and didn't want to give their position away until they figured out what it was?

Rosebud likes this.
  5. skinny

skinny Antediluvian

6. maximus otter

maximus otter Recovering policeman

Australian officials on Sunday shut down rumors that missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 could be seen in the Indian Ocean and was riddled with "bullet holes."

https://goo.gl/images/Mu5wSo

Peter McMahon, a 64-year-old Australian mechanical engineer, claimed that Google Earth images purportedly showed the missing plane in the water 10 miles south of the island of Mauritius, an island nation in the Indian Ocean.

The engineer reportedly said officials with the Australian Transport and Safety Bureau (ATSB) told him the images — which appear to show a basic outline of a plane — could show the aircraft, which vanished on March 8, 2014. However, officials speaking to Fox News denied they told him that.

A spokesperson for the Joint Agency Coordination Center (JACC) told Fox News in a statement that McMahon reached out to the agency via Facebook and email in 2016 and 2017, but at no time "did the ATSB suggest [McMahon's] evidence could be missing flight MH370."

The Google Earth images McMahon sent to the Australian agency were from Nov. 6, 2009 — more than four years before the airplane disappeared, officials added.

McMahon, according to The Sun, also claimed officials didn't want the plane to be found because "it's full of bullet holes" — a subject which he did not further elaborate.

The JACC told Fox News that McMahon's claims were "spurious".

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...n-from-air-was-riddled-with-bullet-holes.html

maximus otter

7. Xanatic*

Xanatic* Justified & Ancient

So that is why they couldn't find it, it travelled back in time 4 years.

GingerTabby and Peripart like this.
  8. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

Lost ships found but sign of the jet.

Two shipwrecks found during a failed search for Malaysia Airlines flight 370 were merchant vessels that sank in the 19th Century, researchers say.

The ships, discovered 2,300km (1,400 miles) off Western Australia, have been narrowed down by experts to a handful of coal-carrying British vessels.

Searchers stumbled on the wrecks during a trawl of the Indian Ocean in 2015.

Australian maritime researchers used sonar pictures and shipping records in their efforts to identify the vessels.

The location of MH370 remains unknown more than four years after it disappeared, carrying 239 people, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Dr Ross Anderson, curator of maritime archaeology from the Western Australian Museum, said it was likely to be one of three vessels: the West Ridge (lost in 1883), Kooringa (1894) or Lake Ontario (1897).

The West Ridge, which vanished along with its 28 crew on a trip from England to India, appeared to be the closest match, he said.

Dr Anderson said the vessel weighed between 1,000 and 1,500 tonnes and was found relatively intact and upright on the sea bed, about 4km below water level.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43998983

JamesWhitehead and Naughty_Felid like this.
  9. EnolaGaia

The speculation bubbles up again, but the theory the incident resulted from the pilot's suicidal intent is not new ...

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/62556-malaysia-plane-mh370-report.html

Kingsize Wombat likes this.
  10. Kingsize Wombat

I didn't watch that one. Maybe it's available for viewing online, I will have to check.

11. Austin Popper

Austin Popper Emperor of Antarctica

I hope someone is keeping track of the number of times this mystery has been "solved" by blaming the captain. I followed the story for months because it was fascinating and I was off work much of that time. Haven't seen any evidence that made the captain look (to me) like any more of a suspect than anyone else. My guess is it was a freak accident that caused cascading system failures at just the wrong time. Who knows? We'll probably never find out what really happened.

Moth In Relay and ramonmercado like this.
  12. gerhard1

gerhard1 Abominable Snowman

Indeed, we might not. However, as a Boeing retiree, I'd like to point out that the manufacturer of the aircraft (in this case, Boeing) is rarely found to be the main cause of aircraft disasters. It does happen, of course, but the vast majority of such occurrences are found to be pilot error.

Full disclosure: my brother is a former airline pilot, so I can see both sides of the picture. Also, I was a mere worker bee, not one of the bosses.

Naughty_Felid and Austin Popper like this.
  13. Kingsize Wombat

After a cursory review of the information, I don't think I will bother watching the programme.

It is largely rehashing theories that have already previously surfaced.

Austin Popper likes this.
  14. EnolaGaia

... And - predictably - here's the rebuttal from the investigators ...

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44216778

Ermintruder and ramonmercado like this.
  15. Austin Popper

Austin Popper Emperor of Antarctica

Apparently if you put together a panel of "experts" for a TV show, a conclusion of "We don't have sufficient information to make an intelligent guess as to what actually happened" is not an option. Who knew?

Kingsize Wombat and Ermintruder like this.
  16. EnolaGaia

Update ... The latest ocean floor search campaign has ended, and no additional searches are planned until there's credible evidence pointing to a specific location.

SOURCE: https://www.yahoo.com/news/last-scheduled-search-missing-malaysia-044120324.html

17. Tol from Leeds

Tol from Leeds Fresh Blood

One more 'last throw of the dice' for Ocean Infinity according to todays Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ane-mh370-heads-for-one-last-spot-of-interest

I must say if we could find a way to continue funding (global Internet crowdfunding perhaps ?) Ocean Infinitys trip in the southern oceans who knows what sort of stuff might come to light. I was fascinated to read it had discovered 2 possible 19C wrecks which have been confirmed as coal transport ships with the cargo almost certainly from these shores (UK) plus more recent (20C) sunken Aussie trawlers. I wonder if anyone on board is filming the story ?

18. AlchoPwn

AlchoPwn Ephemeral Spectre