Lost & found

Discussion in 'Fortean News stories' started by Anonymous, May 3, 2002.

1. hunck

hunck Justified and Ancient

These are the ultimate in hi fidelity for the true audiophile.

[​IMG]

2. PeteS

PeteS Phantom

More of a "weird thing happened to me" but still involves lost and found. The weekend before Christmas I noticed that my signet ring I bought 30 years ago was missing from my finger. Pretty upsetting since it had great sentimental value to me. Searched everywhere for several days but no joy. 2 weeks after Christmas the ring was found at the bottom of a large tin of sweets. The weird thing is that the sealed tin of sweets was only brought into the house on Christmas day. Spooky or more likely someone winding me up:)

escargot1 and Swifty like this.
  3. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

Ouch. I thought at first there was a needle in his eye!

The notion of extending our ears that way was something I experimented with as a kid. The large, gate-fold LP sleeves, held behind my head and angled to deflect the sound from the loudspeakers could sharpen my hearing considerably. Not so much the volume as the high-frequency and directional information. At the time, I found it a lot cheaper than quadraphonics! :)

Now I look closer, I see that soldier? has a stethoscope-type attachment, leading to a wire, so there must be a signal involved. :confused:

4. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

It appears to me as if the stetho-style tubing is for inflating pads between the ear and the reflector rig's metal shell(s).

You can see the outer perimeter of a rubber pad at the wearer's right ear, and a central opening at the left ear, so these pads would seem to be doughnut-shaped.

This would make some sense as a means for allowing users to adjust the rig to fit different heads. A secure and close fit is necessary for optimal listening effectiveness.

5. Swifty

Swifty Justified and Ancient

A lost WW2 pill box has been found in the grounds of The Grove Hotel in Cromer, I've just popped down to have a quick look at it, I don't think anyone's been inside it yet because it was only found yesterday and the opening is half blocked by soil ... I know the owner so I'll be popping back later with a torch and my camera .. this will be the third pill box I'm aware of still standing in Cromer, another one's half buried on the beach on the way to Sheringham and the other one's in someone else we know's back garden, funnily enough overlooking Morrisons .. (shame that one isn't still armed).

To be more specific, The Grove's pill box was found in the scrub land that you can just make out behind the glamping tent in this pic ..

the-grove1.jpg

the-Grove2.jpg

edit: I'll be going tomorrow but I've learned it's already recorded so I can't 'Indiana Jones' this one but anyway, this is what it is ..

http://www.heritage.norfolk.gov.uk/record-details?mnf32567

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    JamesWhitehead likes this.