Lost & Found

Discussion in 'Fortean News Stories' started by Anonymous, May 3, 2002.

1. graylien

graylien Justified & Ancient

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.co.uk/
    Good find, those are fine headphones. I think you're better off with corded headphones as you don't have to faff about charging them.

Swifty likes this.
  2. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

Maybe I have a strange ear shape but for the life of me I can't keep earphone in so don't use them.

Swifty likes this.
  3. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

The 'stick plugs in your ears' ones have never worked out for me because they've always through the decades kept falling out of my left ear hole for some reason which probably means I have a larger left ear hole ... ironically, I also have a larger right nostril but that's because I used to snort base through it .. (I don't do that now) .. the Mrs isn't keen on them either so I'll probably see if my mate wants them instead ..

escargot likes this.
  4. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified & Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
  5. Spudrick68

Spudrick68 Justified & Ancient

I recall reading that they sound quality isn't that good versus the price and that its all about the label.

6. Coal

Coal Gentleman, scholar, acrobat.

Baffled by headphone wearing in public myself. The last thing I want to do if I'm outside is render myself more-or-less deaf.

escargot likes this.
  7. CarlosTheDJ

CarlosTheDJ Justified & Ancient

http://www.carlosthedj.com
    Beats have much, much bass.

And nothing else.

The bass response is impressive for drivers that size, but there's no clarity, top end or space.

8. Shady

Shady Bring me Dreamies Human

I have some huge ones , Dynatron, they are comfortable and i like the sound, dont know if they are a good make or not

9. JamesWhitehead

JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector

Now that name is a blast from the past!

Not quite so far in the past as those Queen Anne legs would suggest. I'm now imagining headphones with a periwig attached! :)

10. Shady

11. hunck

hunck Justified & Ancient

These are the ultimate in hi fidelity for the true audiophile.

[​IMG]

12. PeteS

PeteS Devoted Cultist

More of a "weird thing happened to me" but still involves lost and found. The weekend before Christmas I noticed that my signet ring I bought 30 years ago was missing from my finger. Pretty upsetting since it had great sentimental value to me. Searched everywhere for several days but no joy. 2 weeks after Christmas the ring was found at the bottom of a large tin of sweets. The weird thing is that the sealed tin of sweets was only brought into the house on Christmas day. Spooky or more likely someone winding me up:)

escargot and Swifty like this.
  13. JamesWhitehead

Ouch. I thought at first there was a needle in his eye!

The notion of extending our ears that way was something I experimented with as a kid. The large, gate-fold LP sleeves, held behind my head and angled to deflect the sound from the loudspeakers could sharpen my hearing considerably. Not so much the volume as the high-frequency and directional information. At the time, I found it a lot cheaper than quadraphonics! :)

Now I look closer, I see that soldier? has a stethoscope-type attachment, leading to a wire, so there must be a signal involved. :confused:

14. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

It appears to me as if the stetho-style tubing is for inflating pads between the ear and the reflector rig's metal shell(s).

You can see the outer perimeter of a rubber pad at the wearer's right ear, and a central opening at the left ear, so these pads would seem to be doughnut-shaped.

This would make some sense as a means for allowing users to adjust the rig to fit different heads. A secure and close fit is necessary for optimal listening effectiveness.

15. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

A lost WW2 pill box has been found in the grounds of The Grove Hotel in Cromer, I've just popped down to have a quick look at it, I don't think anyone's been inside it yet because it was only found yesterday and the opening is half blocked by soil ... I know the owner so I'll be popping back later with a torch and my camera .. this will be the third pill box I'm aware of still standing in Cromer, another one's half buried on the beach on the way to Sheringham and the other one's in someone else we know's back garden, funnily enough overlooking Morrisons .. (shame that one isn't still armed).

To be more specific, The Grove's pill box was found in the scrub land that you can just make out behind the glamping tent in this pic ..

the-grove1.jpg

the-Grove2.jpg

edit: I'll be going tomorrow but I've learned it's already recorded so I can't 'Indiana Jones' this one but anyway, this is what it is ..

http://www.heritage.norfolk.gov.uk/record-details?mnf32567

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html
    How the remains of five 'missing' Archbishops of Canterbury were found by accident
    Harry Mount
    16 April 2017 • 6:00am

It is a perfect Easter story – except, unlike Jesus’s empty tomb after the Resurrection, this tomb is crammed with the remains of former Archbishops of Canterbury.

Last year, during the refurbishment of the Garden Museum, which is housed in a deconsecrated medieval parish church next to Lambeth Palace, the Archbishop of Canterbury’s official London residence, builders made the chance discovery of a lifetime: a cache of 30 lead coffins that had lain undisturbed for centuries.

Closer inspection revealed metal plates bearing the names of five former Archbishops of Canterbury, going back to the early 1600s.

Building site managers, Karl Patten and Craig Dick, made their discovery by chance as the former chancel at St Mary-at-Lambeth was being converted into an exhibition space. Stripping out some York stone to even out the precarious paving, and enable disabled access to the old altar, they accidentally cut a six-inch diameter hole in the chancel floor – and noticed a hidden chamber beneath.

Attaching a mobile phone to a stick, they dropped it into the hole. What they filmed astonished them: a hidden stairway leading down to a brick-lined vault.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...issing-archbishops-canterbury-found-accident/

A long and very interesting article.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  17. JamesWhitehead

A recording has shown up of Elgar's Elegy for Strings, conducted by the composer himself in 1933. The orchestra was Boult's newly-formed BBC Symphony Orchestra. A later version was issued with another orchestra but a test-pressing of the 1933 record has turned up.

It can be streamed from this page.

Unusually, it seems the entire contents of the disc can be streamed, including the ultra-rare Sammons acoustic version of the Violin Concerto. I assumed I owned the only copy of this!

:clap:

18. George_millett

George_millett Devoted Cultist

More at the link

Swifty likes this.
  19. plastic wiganer

plastic wiganer Devoted Cultist

not very happy at the moment... somehow - "Mr Nobody" - has hidden my specs, i have been looking for them for the past two days, i only need them when i am reading, usual case of turn the house upside down and no sign of them. thats another 100 quid down the drain then.:mad:

escargot and Swifty like this.
  20. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

That'll be your Mrs 'tidying stuff away' again .. ;)

On a happier note, I found a game of thrones type kids plastic sword this morning ... it was nowhere near anywhere I could think to return it to someone's front door so I've snaffled the bugger and have just for fun slotted into one of my larger hag stones for our back yard display of curiosities. :) ... I'm looking forward to challenging my mate to draw it from the stone then kneeling before him .. because I'm a bit of a saddo ..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Spudrick68, XBergMann and escargot like this.
  21. escargot

escargot Beloved of Ra

We have entire threads discussing how to retrieve lost personal property. Various entities can be called upon, such as the fairies, boggarts, I dunno, the Little black Girl. My old dear asks Walter, who is a late former tenant of her last home.

GerdaWordyer and Swifty like this.
  22. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    ...and then doing what?

Swifty likes this.
  23. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

Arise, Sir Swifty! Wait, not like that...

Swifty likes this.
  24. Swifty

Swifty Beloved of Ra

Screw you guys ! .. I'm going home ! .. ( :p )

25. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

Truro Burger King worker Ryan Fielder tracks down owner to return purse she did not know she lost
    By WBCaroline | Posted: April 27, 2017

A fast-food worker turned detective to track down a woman and return the purse she did not even realise she had left on a wall in Truro city centre and averted a personal "disaster".

Ryan Fielder, who works in Truro Burger King, has been described as an "honest and kind young man" and "an employee and citizen Truro can be proud of" after he found a purse, tracked down its owner and reunited the woman with her lost item - all before she left Cornwall to return home to Berkshire.

Jennie Taylor-Clague lives in Reading but was visiting her husband Stephen who works in Cornwall during the week. The couple were in Truro to check the train times before their return journey to Berkshire the next day.
    While her husband checked the times Mrs Taylor-Clague enjoyed a spot of shopping before she waited for him by a wall near the Moorfield car park.

The mum-of-five said: "I had unpacked my bag and had accidentally left my purse on a wall."
    The couple then left Truro and went about their day without Mrs Taylor-Clague noticing she had left her purse behind.

Luckily for her, Burger King worker Mr Fielder, 29, was passing the spot where she had left the purse later and decided to go the extra mile to relocate the owner.
    Mr Fielder turned Sherlock Holmes and found the only number in the purse, which he rang and got through to the Taylor-Clague's former neighbour Tony, who also lives in Reading.
    Mrs Taylor-Clague, 53, said Tony drove round to the family's house and relayed the information to their daughter who then phoned her mum to say her purse had been found and was in safe hands ready to be returned.

When she called the number her Good Samaritan had left with Tony, 29-year-old Ryan answered, gave her the good news and even offered to take the purse to her.
    Mrs Taylor-Clague said: "If it hadn't been for Ryan I probably wouldn't have noticed until I was on the train or back in Reading and that would have been a complete disaster.
    "The purse didn't have much money in but it did have my driving licence and lots of other stuff. I would have been really lost without it. If there is an award I could nominate Ryan for I would love to do that. He saved me from so much worry and great inconvenience and I am so very grateful."

But Mr Fielder said he didn't want any recognition for his good deed and his mum Alison said her son was very shy.
    Kirsty McDowall, Burger King assistant manager, said: "He is very kind-hearted and goes out of his way for people. He will do anything for anyone so I am not surprised that he went to all that effort for the lady."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/truro-b...now-she-lost/story-30295934-detail/story.html

:)

26. JamesWhitehead

Night of the Demon.

Never really lost in the UK. The broadcasts I remember were always of the longer UK version, albeit in very ordinary definition, complete with Muppet-style bellowing monster!

The linked file gives an insider-view of the search for higher definition elements which enabled the DVD release. I think the UK issue also included both cuts of the film.

I should get that one day; my off-air version is a bit long-in-the-tooth. :rolleyes:

escargot likes this.
  27. Shady

That blinkin demon/T Rexey thingy gave me nightmares for ages after seeing that film

28. JamesWhitehead

A 1901 Play by Edith Wharton Comes to Light.

It does not set my pulses racing to have an unproduced play by the author of The Age of Innocence and The House of Mirth. It's not as if I had fully digested the stuff we have.

Even so, these sort of discoveries always offer the hope that other 'lost' works will come to light. Often, as a comment on that page points out, it is a question of asking the right question in the right place or, as with the recent Melville find, attributing a work that was previously anonymous. :)

GingerTabby likes this.
  29. GerdaWordyer

GerdaWordyer Abominable Snowman

Wharton! My pulse is racing! I don't mind if her Edwardian introspection devolves into soap.
    Makes me hope for found Galsworthy.

30. rynner2

rynner2 Great Old One

I bet you weren't expecting the Spanish Inquisition in this thread!
    Secret Mexican diary sheds light on Spanish Inquisition
    By Natasha Pizzey Mexico City

A story of torture, betrayal and persecution is captivating Mexicans almost 500 years after it happened.
    The dramatic life and death of the Carvajal family in 16th-Century Mexico is in the spotlight after a decades-long search for a national treasure came to an unexpected happy ending.

Luis de Carvajal "The Young" came to Mexico - then known as New Spain - with his large, well-to-do family during the early colonisation of the Americas.
    His family governed part of northern Mexico and soon made enemies, including a power-hungry viceroy keen to topple him from power.

The ambitious viceroy discovered that Luis de Carvajal was a practising Jew, a crime punishable by death in the times of the Spanish Inquisition
    Older relatives had urged Luis de Carvajal to convert to Catholicism for his own safety, but he staunchly stuck to his faith.
    When he was first arrested, the authorities let him off with a warning but kept tabs on him.
    Far from giving up his religion, Luis de Carvajal became a leader in Mexico's underground Jewish community.

When the inquisitors caught up with him again a few years later, he was sentenced to death. He was just 30 years old.
    Before he was executed, he was tortured so badly that he revealed the names of 120 fellow Jewish people, historian Alicia Gojman explains.

We know the excruciating details of Luis de Carvajal's persecution because he managed to keep secret diaries.
    But these were not any old notebooks. They were painstakingly crafted, miniature manuscripts with almost microscopic handwriting in Latin and Spanish.
    Some pages were intricately decorated with gold leaf he scraped from pages of a Bible.
    Each of the three memoirs was no larger than a present-day iPhone, most likely so he could keep them hidden away under his hat.

Luis de Carvajal wrote about being a young Jew in the New World, about exploring his heritage and practising his beliefs despite the dangers.
    But much of the memoirs focus on his final tragic days before he was burned at the stake, with vivid descriptions of him falling to his knees upon hearing his mother's tortured screams as she was pulled on the rack.
    Luis de Carvajal found comfort in poetry, writing verses and prayers to reaffirm his faith in the face of so much cruelty.

Luis de Carvajal's memoirs are treasured by Mexico's Jewish population as chronicles of keeping faith despite the ruthlessness of the Spanish Inquisition.
    "Children who go to Jewish schools study the Carvajal family history," says Mauricio Lulka, executive director of the Central Committee for the Jewish Community in Mexico.

For centuries, the delicate manuscripts were kept in Mexico's National Archives. The were treasured as being among the first artefacts documenting the arrival of Jews to the Americas and were studied by researchers from around the world.
    But in 1932 they vanished, leading to suspicions among the small group of academics who had access to them that one of them may have stolen the precious diaries. After all, they were small enough to hide under a hat.
    With no trace of the documents, the search was eventually suspended and the trail went cold.

More than 80 years after their disappearance, the London auction house Swann in 2016 listed "replicas" of the manuscript at an initial price of $1,500 (£1,150).
    But a US collector of Judaica, Leonard Milberg, was suspicious.
    Why would someone go to the trouble of recreating the minuscule handwriting of Luis de Carvajal's original to create a replica?

Intrigued, he contacted the Mexican consulate which confirmed that the originals were still missing and sent experts to check the "replicas" out.
    Baltazar Brito is the director of the National Library of Anthropology and History in Mexico and one of the experts sent to assess the documents.
    "When I got there, something told me they were originals, I knew it in my heart," he says.
    For Mr Brito, the documents have relevance beyond their time.
    "They tell the story of religious intolerance that we shouldn't let happen again in the world," he says. "Despite that, it still happens."

Leonard Milberg felt the manuscripts belonged in Mexico, so the collector made it his mission to deal with all the international agencies involved and covered the costs of sending them back.
    Their safe return was welcome news for Mexico's now thriving Jewish community of about 50,000 people, many of whom were drawn to the country by its modern-day commitment to religious freedom.
    After they were briefly exhibited in Mexico City they are now safely stored in a special climate-controlled vault in the National Library of Anthropology and History in Mexico, as no one wants to risk the miniature manuscripts disappearing for another eight decades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-40029453

GingerTabby and ramonmercado like this.