Life On Mars!

Discussion in 'New Science' started by dot23, Nov 20, 2001.

1. blessmycottonsocks

blessmycottonsocks Justified & Ancient

2. ramonmercado

ramonmercado CyberPunk

The potential for Life on Mars.

Two young worms are the first offspring in a Mars soil experiment at Wageningen University & Research. Biologist Wieger Wamelink found them in a Mars soil simulant that he obtained from NASA. At the start he only added adult worms. The experiments are crucial in the study that aims to determine whether people can keep themselves alive at the red planet by growing their own crops on Mars soils.

[​IMG]
    Young worm, born in mars soil simulant [Credit: Wieger Wamelink, WUR]
    To feed future humans on Mars a sustainable closed agricultural ecosystem is a necessity. Worms will play a crucial role in this system as they break down and recycle dead organic matter. The poop and pee of the (human) Martian will also have to be used to fertilise the soil, but for practical and safety reasons we are presently using pig slurry. We have since been observing the growth of rucola (rocket) in Mars soil simulant provided by NASA to which worms and slurry have been added. 'Clearly the manure stimulated growth, especially in the Mars soil simulant, and we saw that the worms were active. However, the best surprise came at the end of the experiment when we found two young worms in the Mars soil simulant', said Wieger Wamelink of Wageningen University & Research.

Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blog...produce-in-mars-soil.html#TP1TOrfBtdyE0u8k.99

3. MrRING

MrRING Justified & Ancient

We've gotplenty of Mars threads, so this seemed as good a place as any to place these... motion videos using data from Mars to give the sense of flying over it - not sure if they are using stills or CG...

Mythopoeika likes this.
  4. Swifty

Swifty Generation Y

I know these vids are a bit cheesy but I like them anyway ..

Schrodinger's Zebra likes this.
  5. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    Best part of that video is the music.

Swifty likes this.
  6. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

Nice tits.

Swifty likes this.
  7. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

That's definitely 3d CG imagery, since the hills move at slightly different speeds depending on the relief- you couldn't do that with a flat image, even if it were very detailed.

8. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

It now appears that the 1970's-era Viking landers' instruments used to check for organic molecules may have inadvertently destroyed any organic compounds owing to the unexpected presence of a volatile compound in the Martian soil ...

FULL STORY: https://www.space.com/41140-mars-lander-may-have-burned-organics.html