Isle of Wight Mysteries

Discussion in 'Fortean Traveller' started by Anonymous, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Spookdaddy

Spookdaddy Cuckoo

Isn't Royston Vasey meets Cornwall just...well...Cornwall?

I've only been to the island a couple of times - years ago. One little thing that has always stuck in my mind is a headstone very close by the porch of one or other of the older churches. If my memory is correct, it had the snidest, most judgemental and begrudging epitaph I ever remember seeing on a memorial - I think to a woman whose morals and/or behaviour were considered somewhat lacking by the the author. Whoever it was had clearly really pissed someone off. I wish I'd taken a photo, and have looked for it a couple of times on the net - but without success.

Naughty_Felid likes this.
  2. Mrs Migs

Mrs Migs Junior Acolyte

I love the IOW. Visit every summer, as it’s where my dad was born and brought up, and it’s like a second home. The church at Whippingham is good for a visit. Queen Victoria used to go to services there, her daughter and son in law are buried in the church and Louis Mountbatten’s parents are in the graveyard. Also there is a grave with a skull and crossbones, and IIRC the graves of a load of young sailors who died in (?) a measles epidemic on a training ship.
    Most of the Fortean stuff is ghosts tho...
    Oh, and yes.... very Royston Vasey. Think my dad’s lot escaped the general inbreeding due to my grandma being a foreigner. From Yorkshire....

Rosebud and CarlosTheDJ like this.
  3. AlchoPwn

AlchoPwn Ephemeral Spectre

Wight
    wʌɪt/
    noun
    1. archaicdialect
      a person of a specified kind.
      "he always was an unlucky wight"
      • literary
        a spirit, ghost, or other supernatural being.
    So the question becomes if there is only one supernatural being on the island or if all the denizens are supernatural?

4. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    It (kinda) matches the Isle of Man.