Is This An Occult Symbol?

Discussion in 'Esoterica' started by Roland Deschain, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Elsupremo

Elsupremo Great Old One

Just go on YouTube and search "Was Saturn once our sun" There are a number of interesting videos. Very bizarre also. Remember that I did use the word "rumored"

2. heisenbear

heisenbear Phantom

I found this weird symbol drawn into the grime on my van a couple of days ago. It doesn't look accidental, plus it was parked away from any thoroughfare where passing hands could brush alongside the vehicle.
    Photo0008.jpg

Ulalume and Ermintruder like this.
  3. davidplankton

davidplankton Justified and Ancient

The 'M' part looks a bit like a Virgo symbol, from astrology. In reverse.

zodiac-horoscope-virgo-1-sign.jpg

Shady and Ermintruder like this.
  4. Ermintruder

Ermintruder Existential pixelfixer

. 2017-07-13 23.03.57.jpg
    "And You" (? from '+u', perhaps).

The lower symbol is oddly-drawn. It's a straight down-strike, followed by a capital 'M', over-scribed with a swept flourish. So, left-to-right, then back to the start, enscore.

As shapes, I see a head wearing a top-hat above a pair of conical Madonna breasts, with a right-arm wielding a knife.

Or maybe just an upper body of an assassin 2017-07-13 23.21.24.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Ulalume and Frideswide like this.
  5. FrKadash

FrKadash Justified and Ancient

https://www.facebook.com/ordomizbeah
    Looks like nothing I've seen in my experience. No need to to start worrying but if we went down the occult route of origin... Because of where it's been traced if it were an occult symbol it would most likely be a cursing sigil (e.g. van = crash/business failure), and such a sigil would be designed and abstracted by someone who could have chosen to use any letters to indicate their own unique idea or result making such symbols almost impossible to decipher. It's could just be some kids crude tag though.

If you get worried about what it is you could trace a blocking sigil directly above it and then after it's been traced clean away the old symbol.

chicorea, Ulalume and Ermintruder like this.
  6. Ermintruder

Could it be a secret symbol used only by the Guild of Van Washers?

Ibis, GerdaWordyer, Rosebud and 5 others like this.
  7. GNC

GNC King-Sized Canary

I believe the sigil means "I wish my wife was this dirty".

Krepostnoi, Ibis, chicorea and 5 others like this.
  8. jimv1

jimv1 Analogue Boy

It's an old alchemy symbol. Roughly translated, it means 'No alembics or potions are kept in this van overnight'.

9. Yithian

Yithian Cloud-Sculptor of Coral D Staff Member

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/drowning.htm
    It actually looks more like an occult symbol if you turn it upside-down.

I see an upper-case W above an Ankh with a fish alongside: someone is accusing you of being a Christian W-ankher.

chicorea, Rosebud and Ermintruder like this.
  10. Ermintruder

But that would be so expensive, and wreck the van.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambigram
    Perhaps it's emblematically-ambigrammatic ... or possibly ambigrammically-emblematic.

Ibis, AgProv, Yithian and 1 other person like this.
  11. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

The closest match I've been able to find is a horizontally-reversed Virgo symbol. I've not been able to locate even a highly stylized Virgo symbol absolutely identical to this particular mark.

The inverted hooked cross most closely resembles the 'Cross of Questioning' that served as Blue Oyster Cult's logo in their early days - again, reversed (horizontally; left-to-right).

http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1544

Are you sure the posted image hasn't been reversed?

Alternatively ...

Do you have any dyslexic punks in your neighborhood?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 3:31 AM
  12. Ermintruder

Yes, that's a blast from the past. And why did Blue Öyster Cult have that symbol marked upon Nazi Me262 fighter jets on their album covers?

[​IMG]

Note that most of the 'grain of the grime' is consistent-aligned with a left-to-right enscribement (excepting the odd extra overlaid cursive downstroke near the start)

AgProv likes this.
  13. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...

I don't know that the Me-262 image held any significance beyond being a cool and relatively obscure visual element that insinuated (e.g.) machine-age power.

chicorea and Ermintruder like this.
  14. Ermintruder

ME262 (Secret Treaties / Flaming Telepaths)
    http://whynameitthat.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/blue-oyster-cult.html
    "In Greek mythology, the hook-and-cross symbol is that of Kronos (Cronus), the king of the Titans and father of Zeus. In Roman mythology, the hook-and-cross symbol represents Saturn, a less rock and roll God of agriculture and fertility. But the hook and cross symbol does resembles the Sickle, which is associated with both Kronos (Cronus) and Saturn (both the Planet and the Roman God).

It's also the alchemical symbol for lead (a heavy metal!) which fit with the heavy and distorted guitar sound of the band and encouraged the band's "heavy metal" categorization"

So: lead? Maybe?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 5:20 AM
    AgProv, GerdaWordyer and chicorea like this.
  15. chicorea

chicorea Yeti

So, is it the sign of an infestation of dyslexic proto metal punks that hung from the ceiling and that cannot spell correctly "Wash me!!" ?

Ermintruder likes this.
  16. AgProv

AgProv Master of Uncertainty and Doubt

Wow, where did all this come from while my back was turned and I was off doing other things... some random notes.

I suspect the occult associations came from the same place for the BÖC that fuelled Black Sabbath's association with Satanism: part of the image, the USP of the group and to build a mythos that sold concert tickets and albums. It's no accisdent that their respective managements saw a killing in the making and bundled BOC and Sab on a joint gig schedule labelled "The Black and Blue tour". The fact the group members imperfectly understood the occultism and (certainly in the case of Ozzie and Black Sab) only had an entry-level understanding didn't matter: it sold albums and got bums on seats at gigs.

Although BÖC did have a manager called Sandy Pearlman who saw the band as a means of realising his dream and giving substance to a bewilderingly incomprehensible, Lovecraft-flavoured mythos called "Imaginos" which seemed to revolve around the idea of immortal intelligences working clandestinely in the world who'd been there since Day One, manipulating human evolution and history for their own ends. A lot of the stuff in early albums - especially Secret Treaties - comes from the Imaginos cycle and is best interpreted in that light. (And I nearly wrote Illuminatus! rather than Imaginos there...)

You also get a lot of sideways oblique references to Aleister Crowley on BÖC albums - loads on Agents of Fortune, for instance.

As for the Police and occultism... Sting does publicly admit to a great interst in tantric yoga, implying an unorthodox and inquiring mind. Go to this chart single and ask why, in what seems to be a nice pleasant fatherly little ditty concerning a man's relationship with his tiny daughter, he breaks into that chant towards the end. Suggesting that the She, whose every little thing she does is Magic, is a different She working at a different level. Still there in Sting's lttle girl - but not just present in his infant daughter. Venerandum, indeed.

And the same chant is here too, in Regatta de Blanc. I have a suspicion he knew exactly what he was doing here.....

Ermintruder likes this.
  17. Ermintruder

18. Ibis

Ibis Life is like a box of paints.

Crop circle -- do it as an alternative form of crop circle.

Ermintruder likes this.
  19. Ibis

Ibis Life is like a box of paints.

To get back to the original question: the glyph-like signs on sign and van look like the cryptic scribbles by bi-polar/schizophrenic street people in San Francisco. I used to find stuff like this all the time, sometimes photocopied and left in cafes, when I lived in SF in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    Ermintruder likes this.
  20. RaM

RaM Great Old One

It says "Do not clean spuds planted" in Sanscript