Is Roswell Finally Dead?

Discussion in 'Ufology' started by SkepticalX, Aug 14, 2018.

1. INT21

INT21 Justified & Ancient

...but the number of impacts from the sides are minimal compared to those from the front...

You only need one.

If someone fires a bullet at a passing train, the damage is done by the forward velocity of the bullet, not the forward velocity of the train. This forward velocity of the train will have an effect though. The resultant damage will possibly be a vector sum of the two.

INT21

2. Coal

Coal Polymath Renaissance Man

^this^

3. SkepticalX

SkepticalX Devoted Cultist

INT - sorry for the late follow-up. Rather than Stephensville, if I had to pick a radar case, I would much rather go with the 1957 RB-47 incident.

Again, I just have a hard time with massive UFOs that somehow get noticed by only a handful of people. It is far too easy for a witness to draw imaginary lines connecting lights in a night sky.

4. INT21

An interesting radar case that sort of sums up the problem is the one where a flight to, I think, Guernsey, saw a large yellow object. This was joined by another one.

The air traffic control couldn't see it on the normal ATC radar, nor could they see it on the primary radar.

Until the operator reset the machine to detect stationary objects. Then they saw it.

This is logical as why would they be looking for stationary objects in the sky ? Anything in the sky would have to get to their position by motion, and they could be detected by primary radar if moving.

This is possibly why some ufo are not detected by radar.

I'll come back and correct the above flight details when I find them.

I also find it hard to understand why so many people in a given area do not see massive objects in the sky.
    I believe there is a whole school of thought about this.

Coal,

Not sure what you mean by your #62 above.

INT21

5. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

A better analogy would be flies hitting a bullet train. Sure you get a few on the sides of the train, but they are nearly all at the front. Which is why bullet trains are shaped like bullets, and interstellar spacecraft would be long and thin, too. In fact, if you want to eliminate sideways impacts it is easy enough to extend the shield sideways a little bit, so that particles coming in from the side are intercepted too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Mythopoeika likes this.
  6. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

That's probably the Alderney UFO.
    Analysis here
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/165a/6bd42a959e51eff6baedd2ff933c215b6080.pdf

The stationary radar return may have been a surface vessel- a ship.

7. Mythopoeika

Mythopoeika I am a meat popsicle

Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
    I think so, too.
    The odds of something hitting the craft are reduced by it having a long, thin profile.
    Also, other reasons as I suggested earlier...modularity facilitates repairability. Also, a nuclear power source and engines can be at one end and living quarters/command centre at the front. Most of the shielding weight would be at the front.
    A good example of this design philosophy is:
    [​IMG]

8. INT21

Eburacum,

Yes, that was the one.

..The stationary radar return may have been a surface vessel- a ship...

I can't remember whether or not they gave an elevation figure for the object they detected. Or if their primary radar even detected down to sea level.

INT21

9. INT21

...Which is why bullet trains are shaped like bullets,..

Bullet trains are shaped like bullets to reduce air resistance.

And the newer Shinkansen trains have a different front end. This also to reduce air resistance but also to exert a slight downward force to prevent the front lifting.

Engineering is always a compromise.

Back to spaceships.

There does seem to be a belief that you can blast off in any direction and hit nothing for years.

To do that, space would have to be empty. No planets, stars, asteroids etc.

And at close to light speed, radar would not help you. By the time the pulse hit the object and returned, you would probably also have hit it.

So, one step at a time; or maybe two.

First the Moon, then Mars.

INT21

Coal and Mythopoeika like this.
  10. eburacum

eburacum Papo-furado

Space is empty, for all intents and purposes.
    We can detect and measure the dust, the atomic gas, the molecular gas, using the methods I described earlier. And we can estimate the incidence of any larger objects - planets, asteroids, neutron stars, and so on, by looking for occultations of distant stars and galaxies. Using this method astronomers have eliminated the possibility that dark matter consists of MACHOs - Massive compact halo objects - there really aren't enough solid objects up there to explain dark matter, so it must be something else.

If there are dangers in interstellar space they are something we don't know about (but don't forget cosmic rays, which are a real danger whatever we do).

Coal and EnolaGaia like this.
  11. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Austin Popper mentioned this as being a good book on Roswell...written by Jesse Marcel, Jr...
    'The Roswell Legacy'.
    My local library carries it so I'm going to give it a go. Has anyone else read this one other than Popper?

12. Coal

PS. If it helps, I can keep hitting Roswell with a hammer unit it is dead.

13. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

^well....if the only tool you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail.

;)

14. Coal

I never said that was my only tool :cool2: but for something as dead a door-nail, it might be the most apposite one.

Swifty and THA like this.
  15. dr wu

dr wu Doctor Prog

Some brief thoughts regarding Jesse Marcel Jr and his book....his credibility stands on his handling of the 'debris' (and believing his father of course...), but would a young boy have recognized strange 'alien debris' from some weather balloon program debris...? The only reason he probably thought it weird was because his father did. So did Marcel Sr know what he actually had in his hands? Is it possible he simply mis-identified debris from a project he wasn't that familiar with?

16. EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ... Staff Member

Based on my personal conclusions about the case, the answers to your 3 questions are: No, No, and Yes (respectively).

IMHO Marcel Sr. had no reason to know what the debris might represent and was blind-sided by the whole affair.

He and one other guy were 'first on the scene' to check on the debris at the Foster ranch, having gone there in response to being notified by the sheriff Brazel had found it. The pair from Roswell AAF met with Brazel, and the 3 of them examined the debris and attempted unsuccessfully to piece together what it had been. Marcel and the other guy took the bundle of debris Brazel had collected and returned to the air base.

It was this association with the original discovery and debris collection that most probably motivated Marcel's being assigned to accompany the debris to Fort Worth. The transfer of the debris to Texas was ordered from above (General Ramey, 8th Air Force).

My take on Marcel's situation is analogous to the old joke about Columbus ... He didn't know where things were going when he first got involved (to check Brazel's debris); he didn't know at any time during his direct involvement what was going on; and for some years thereafter he would have no reason to know what it had all been about.

17. Analis

Analis Justified & Ancient

It's possible that Marcel Jr was presented balloon material because his father thought that it was quite unusual and remarkable, although not strange. But it cannot explain the follow-ups, as Marcel Jr has been adamant that his father kept speaking of a 'flying saucer' until many years after. The presence of polyethylene does not do the job, because if the product was new, it was not revolutionnary, and in any case, Marcel Sr would have learnt in the following months what was going on. It's possible that his son's memories grew stranger with time, but it seems that there was something more, and possibly unrelated to the material he showed to his son, the latter's memory becoming confused later.

As for what Marcel is holding on the photos in Fort Worth, it was not of the kind to put the Roswell base into turmoil. While there was much controversy over the debris shown on the photos, the conclusion to draw from them is that they are just ordinary weather balloons and radar target (and, it seems, without any flower tape). As we know that the military conducted 'demonstrations' the following days involving many weather balloons to debunk flying saucers, some of them performed by the Mogul staff, we know that they had ample knowledge and easy access to them. Which means that whatever sensitive there was at the Roswell base, it had been replaced. Marcel, as a loyal intelligence officer, did his job and played his part in the manipulation.